Magic Realism discussion

What are you reading now?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leann (last edited Jul 30, 2016 01:01PM) (new)

Leann (7leann) Hi. I'm reading The Girl Who Chased the Moon, which is more sugary than my usual read, but I needed something light. It is enjoyable.

How about you?

message 2: by Melayna (new)

Melayna | 1 comments i just finished the Snow Child by E. Ivey. Enjoyable read.

message 3: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) The Snow Child looks good! It's loaded to my Kindle app waiting for me.

message 4: by Lise (new)

Lise (liselyngfalkenberg) | 1 comments Ransom Riggs' Hollow City (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children #2). Although I'm not a young adult and this is a YA series, I find it quite entertaining, especially the use of photos.

message 5: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) YA books aren't only for the young. :) I'll have to check out that series.

message 6: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Loong | 1 comments Currently reading The Moon and the Sun by Vonda McIntyre

message 7: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) Joshua wrote: "Currently reading The Moon and the Sun by Vonda McIntyre"

The artwork looks amazing!

message 8: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) I'm reading Bloodroot, a quietly unfolding Appalachian magical realism mystery.

message 9: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) Melayna wrote: "i just finished the Snow Child by E. Ivey. Enjoyable read."

I did love The Snow Child.

message 10: by Oxeppa (new)

Oxeppa | 4 comments I'm currently reading Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen, just started it last night

message 11: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) Oxeppa wrote: "I'm currently reading Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen, just started it last night"

That is my favorite of hers. Let us know what you think of it. :)

message 12: by Oxeppa (new)

Oxeppa | 4 comments Leann wrote: "That is my favorite of hers. Let us know what you think of it. :)"

Sure, I will :)

message 13: by Oxeppa (new)

Oxeppa | 4 comments Leann wrote: "Oxeppa wrote: "I'm currently reading Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen, just started it last night"

That is my favorite of hers. Let us know what you think of it. :)"

So I finished Garden Spells, I think that is my favorite of hers too. The characters was very endearing and their magical gifts are wonderful, it was a very enjoyable reading.
Currently I am reading First Frost and I'm looking for suggestions for new books to read.

message 14: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) Garden Spells is such an enjoyable read. Sometimes her stories are too sugary for me, but this one was great, or maybe hit me at the right time. I haven't read First Frost yet. How is it?

For recommendations of Magical Realism, I always say Alice Hoffman! Her work isn't as light as Sarah Addison Allen's, and her earlier work is usually lighter than her later work. The Probable Future (earlier) and Blackbird House (later) are delicious!

message 15: by Oxeppa (new)

Oxeppa | 4 comments Thank you very much Leann :) I feel the same way, her stories hit me at the right time, it was exactly what I need for this season.
First Frost was good too, it was very enjoyable to meet those characters again but I think that the explainations of what happened in Garden Spells are sometimes a little bit too often repeated for the rythme of the plot, I wish we had more of Bay and others characters stories.

Good to know ! Next I'll read The Probable future, the only book that I read of Alice Hoffman was Practical Magic a few years ago.

message 16: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) Thanks, I'm going to have to try that one soon.

I just realized that the Alice Hoffman books I recommended are only one year apart. Oops! Still, the first is lighter than the second, in my opinion. :-) Hoping you enjoy The Probable Future!

message 17: by Leann (new)

Leann (7leann) Who's excited about this? I am! The Rules of Magic

message 18: by Vineet (new)

Vineet  | 1 comments I just finished High Mountains of Portugal by Yann Martel !!