What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > Heraldry Book, Old, Landscape format, Tincture Chart

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nostalgia Reader (nostalgia_reader) | 12 comments Hi everyone,

I've got an obscure one here. I have a scan of a page from a heraldry book that I checked out of the library years ago for a report. But unfortunately I didn't write down a citation for it, so I have no clue what the book is.

I know it was a relatively old book.... probably pre-1950? It was in landscape format and maybe had a maroon/red cloth-bound hardback cover. Not sure if the title was only on the spine or also on the cover, nor if that was gold gilt (although it probably was).

There are maybe around 100 pages in it--the scan I have is of the "Paradigm of the Tinctures" chart on page 92, which I remember was either the last page, or at least towards the very end of the book. The note below the chart starts out with "Heraldry was studied and followed with great enthusiasm during the dark ages of superstition" and mentions that this chart is reproduced from the Encyclopedia Londinensis.

Thanks for any help!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36067 comments Mod
A long shot - something by William Berry (c. 1830-40) or William E. Berry Jr.? For example:

"Berry William - An Introduction to Heraldry, Containing the Rudiments of the Science in General and Other Necessary Particulars Connected with the Subject
Hardback. Undated but may be first edition of 1810. (Gift inscription is dated 1835). A good copy in green cloth spine and brown paper-covered boards. Title-piece is chipped and largely unreadable. Neat gift inscription on front end-paper. 158 pages. 12 plates. Folding "Paradigm of the Tinctures." Neat and informative ink writing on one page.
Published : T. Egerton, London"

Nostalgia Reader (nostalgia_reader) | 12 comments Hmm, well it doesn't seem to be the *exact* book, but the Paradigm is more or less the same as the one I have, so I'll take it!! Thanks for the author name, I think that will help lead me on some Google-search journeys to find some more books like it :)

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40226 comments Mod
Nostalgia Reader, did you ever find the exact book?

message 5: by Nostalgia Reader (last edited May 13, 2017 04:28PM) (new)

Nostalgia Reader (nostalgia_reader) | 12 comments Unfortunately not. The Intro to Heraldry that Kris found is still the closest I've found to what I was looking for. It may be forever floundering in limbo :/