You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Buddy Reads > Different Seasons by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-50 of 162 (162 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments Some of us were talking about doing a buddy read for Different Seasons. So far, Sarah & I are interested, perhaps Joan. Is anyone else interested and ideas of when we should hold it?

I just ordered the book and it should be in early August but I have other books on the go, so mid-late August, or even Sept?

Joan, you can even give us homework if you want.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments End of August or early September is good for me. I'm going to get it from the library probably - they have plenty of copies. Looking forward to it.

message 3: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I may join. I'd kind of like to finish Bazaar of Bad Dreams first. Only had most the year on it.

message 4: by Joan (new)

Joan I'm in! I'll try to restrain myself with geek questions but I see several of these stories where developed into movies so if I ask any of the dreadful compare & contrast questions please ignore me.

message 5: by Joan (new)

Joan Late August or September is good for me.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments King always gives us lots to talk about :-) Oh, and there's plenty of foreshadowing.

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments Ask any question you want, Joan. As Sarah said, King gives us plenty to talk about and I don't mind comparing to the movies. I look forward to the questions you may ask.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments I'm happy to compare to movies too. That said, it's been a while since watching Stand By Me. Shawshank Redemption is a favourite of mine so I'm looking forward to reading the novella it was based on.

message 9: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I had this as a group read or at least part of it. Nwver participated because no one doez in that group so I gave up with them

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1649 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm happy to compare to movies too. That said, it's been a while since watching Stand By Me. Shawshank Redemption is a favourite of mine so I'm looking forward to reading the novella it was based on."

I also love Stand by Me. It is a wonderful movie

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments I saw your copy arrived Janice. I've just placed a reservation for it at the librwry. It's being transferred from elsewhere. I know we mentioned late august/early september to start this. Shall we settle on a date?

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments I'm good to go whenever your book arrives. How long do your library loans take to arrive? Mine usually takes about 2 weeks if it's available at another library. If all copies are out, it could take a lot longer. I'd hate to set a date and not have your book arrive in time.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments There are quite a few copies in the area so it will not be coming far. I would say a week max. But maybe 2 weeks would be a better bet for starting just to be sure. I can let you know when i get it though.

message 14: by Joan (new)

Joan Early September would be a bit easier for me.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments I have just received an email to say my copy has arrived at the library. I'll pick it up tomorrow. But I'm still reading a book at the moment. I'm 25% of the way through that one. I reckon I'll be another week.

message 16: by Joan (new)

Joan I'm ready when you are.

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments Good to know. I'm ready to start another book, so I'll start it and switch to Different Seasons when you're ready to start.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments Excellent! I'll keep you posted.

The good thing with Different Seasons is that it's novellas.

I'm thinking that we should start each post with the novella title at the top (perhaps in bold). That way it make it easier to navigate this thread. Especially if we end up being at different stages at some point.

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments When Shelfari users were melded into Goodreads, several of them were asking for nested threads. The outcry to not have them here on Goodreads was huge, but I can see how they'd be useful in a discussion like this.

We could set up separate threads for each novella.

Different Seasons - Shawshank Redemption
Different Seasons - The Body
Different Seasons - Apt Pupil
Different Seasons - The Breathing Method.

What do you think?

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments I don't mind either way. When we've had short story group reads we've just had the one thread. I was just thinking of the Full Dark King read.

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments Okay, I'm easy to please. Let's just do the one page and indicate at the top of each post which novella we're reading.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments lol. I picked up my book yesterday. I'm pleased Shawshank is the first story. I'll still be about a week, perhaps slightly less.

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments I'll keep plugging my way through House of Leaves until you're ready. I'm not sure I'll finish this mammoth of a book. We'll see if it pulls me in more over the next few days.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments Janice wrote: "I'll keep plugging my way through House of Leaves."

Wow! That is a mammoth. I have it on my wishlist. I've heard good things about it. It's unusual in it's format I believe. But I guess that can be detrimental too. I look forward to haring what your final analysis is of it.

message 25: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments That's what I'm struggling with. It's a mish mash of things. There's an essay (complete with footnotes) analyzing a film interspersed with a first person narrative. Half the page could be the essay, then the bottom half and several pages could be the narrative, then it returns to the essay which continues on as if there wasn't an interlude. It may be a great story, but I just don't like to have to work too hard.

Plus, the damned thing is heavy! It's a bit difficult to lie in bed while holding this brick in one hand. It's a "sit in a chair with book on lap" type of read.

I'm not that far into it, so I really need to give it a chance.

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments I closed the cover on House of Leaves. It's too much work and I read for pleasure. So I started Different Seasons last night.

I have just started Shawshank Redemption. I love this story and it felt so good to read the familiar passages. I've seen the movie so many times that I see the actors' faces when I read the names in the story. I'm only a few pages in, so there's not much to comment on.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments Cool. I hope to start in the next 2 days. I've not done any reading all weekend so I'm a little behind on finishing my existing book.

message 28: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments I'll just keep plugging away and commenting. People can join in when they're ready.

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments Shawshank Redemption. I haven't been paying attention to chapters.

The sisters - (view spoiler)

Brooks - (view spoiler)

Because I know the movie so well, I'm having a bit of a difficult time separating the two in my mind. Thankfully, the movie follows the book fairly closely. There are some insignificant differences.

message 30: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Wish I had ordered a copy. Since I am basically banned from working except when I sneak out when no one is paying attention I'm getting a lot of reading done. I think we have a book store again in town so maybe I can find one. Didn't know I'd have such a free schedule

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments It's available on Audible with Frank Muller narrating!

I can see you sneaking out. You must be like the third child in the house that your wife has to keep tabs on. Just hope she doesn't get one of those leash things to keep you tethered.

message 32: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments I finished Shawshank Redemption. I love this story! I guess I've already said that a few times.

There were some things that I liked better in the movie. For example (view spoiler)

I will start Apt Pupil tonight. I recall this was my least favourite novella in the book. We'll see if my initial impressions hold.

message 33: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I can't listen to audio if I'm not doing something or I don't pay attention or I would have gotten the Frank Mueller

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments I've got Morgan Freeman's voice in my head reading Shawshank Redemption. As much as I like Frank, I think it would have been a disconnect on this one for me. Narrators are funny like that.

When I listen to audiobooks, I play mindless games on my iPad - like jigsaw puzzles, candy crush, bejewelled, etc. Then I'm not staring off into space like a zombie.

message 35: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I've never seen Shawshank except maybe last 25 minutes. Which is odd because I've seen almost every Stephen King movie but this and maybe It amd pet semetary I think . I watched Apt Pupil a few times although I don't think I liked it any of them

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments Definitely watch Shawshank Travis. It's such a good film.

message 37: by Joan (new)

Joan audiobooks and driving are two things that put me to sleep immediately. If I tried them at the same time it could be catastrophic. Dozing while driving is not good.

message 38: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Went to book store. Had like 10 King books but not this one. They did have all the remainibg dark tower books I don't own so I had to leave quickly. I have then all on audio but only 1-4 hard copy

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments I'm going to start tomorrow. I think I'll be reading two books at the same time. This will be my boat book and the group read will be my commute book. :-)

That's a shame Travis. I see why you had to leave quick. I really need to finish the series. I regret not continuing it with you guys now.

Yes. Definitely don't do that Joan!

message 40: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Is there much swearing Janice. We do have a 10 hour car trip on thurs and subday but we will have a 6 and 3 year old who do have their own dvd player in back seat so shouldnt be paying much attention but little ears always hear what you don't want

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "Went to book store. Had like 10 King books but not this one. They did have all the remainibg dark tower books I don't own so I had to leave quickly. I have then all on audio but only 1-4 hard copy"

Did you sneak out of the house to go to the book store while someone's attention was diverted? Or is it only work that you have to sneak out for?

Swearing... I don't recall there being much swearing. The subject matter can be sensitive especially when he relates the involvement of the sisters. (view spoiler) It is Stephen King, after all. You could give it a try and switch it to something else if it's too much for the wee ones.

message 42: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments I agree with Sarah. The movie is one of my all time favourites.

If Shawshank is too sensitive for the kids, you could fast forward to The Body. It may be hard to do on audiobook. Did you see the movie, Stand by Me? That's the screenplay and it's pretty innocuous.

message 43: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Yeah I've seen Stand by Me. Isn't this tge 25 year snnuversary of the movie. I saw an ad about it or 20 year I don't know

message 44: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Wife sent me to get an oil chsnge. Then I ended up a few extra places. Just work I have to avoid

message 45: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Wife wanted kid friendly. We are giving Dog on It a try. It is an audible best seller under kids and quite a few friends have rated well. Probably wpuldn't pick it up otherwise

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments I think that's a smart choice, Travis. LOL! Dog on it was a fun read.

message 47: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments I started Apt Pupil last night and was quickly reminded of why it was my least favourite of the books.

Todd is (view spoiler)

Denker/Dussander - (view spoiler)

Yeah, and I'm not that far into the story. I had a terrible dream about a killer last night and the manhunt to stop him. Good start! (Said facetiously.) I don't think I could watch the movie.

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments I started today whilst I was at the dentist. My partner had a 30 minute appointment and then there was a gap of 30 minutes before my appointment. So a good solid hour to get stuck in to this book. However, my partner was done in 10 minutes and I was able to slot in straight after him. So I managed 9 pages of Shawshank Redemption!

It is good to see that it is written in first person POV. I like that the film followed this. It just suits the story so well to be told in this way. If it had been told from Andy's POV perhaps we would have a different opinion on the events which occurred as well as (view spoiler) What do you guys reckon?

The surname Dufresne is an interesting one. Because I've watched the film, i know how it's pronounced. But if I'd read the book first, there is no way I would have guessed it right. I would have pronounced the S that's for sure. It's not a common surname here in the UK.

When it was set(view spoiler)

message 49: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments I also liked the first person POV. We didn't get into Andy's head so much as we became observers and were able to make up our own mind as to his guilt. (view spoiler)

Being exposed to a lot of French being a Canadian, I would have pronounced it correctly without the benefit of hearing it in the movie.

I was going to mention about Apt Pupil, that it was fun learning that Denker had Andy set up some stocks for him. Typical King. :)

message 50: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments Apt Pupil - Here Kitty Kitty - (view spoiler)

Andy's Report Card - (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3 4