This topic is about Girl Waits with Gun
Previous Reads: Fiction > Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise, Group Founder (new) - rated it 4 stars

Louise | 680 comments Mod
Our August Group read is Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart

Description (Author's website)
[...]an enthralling novel based on the forgotten true story of one of the nation's first female crime fighters.

Constance Kopp doesn't quite fit the mold. She towers over most men, has no interest in marriage or domestic affairs, and has been isolated from the world since a family secret sent her and her sisters from city to country fifteen years ago. When a powerful, ruthless factory owner runs down their buggy, a dispute over damages turns into a war of bricks, bullets, and threats as he unleashes his gang on their farm. The sheriff enlists her help, and it turns out Constance has knack for outwitting (and disarming) the criminal element that might just take her back out into the world and onto a new path in life. Quick-witted and full of madcap escapades, Girl Waits with Gun is a story about one woman rallying the courage to stand up for and grow into herself — with a little help from sisters and sheriffs along the way.

Through Amy Stewart's exuberant storytelling, Constance Kopp catapults from forgotten historical anecdote to unforgettable historical fiction heroine — an outsized woman not only ahead of her time but sometimes, even, ahead of ours.

Amy Stewart (Author's website
Amy Stewart is the author of eight books. Her latest is Lady Cop Makes Trouble, which is the second installment in a series based on the remarkable true story of three sisters in the 1910s. She has also written six nonfiction books on the perils and pleasures of the natural world, including four New York Times bestsellers: The Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World's Great Drinks, Wicked Bugs: The Louse That Conquered Napoleon's Army & Other Diabolical Insects, Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities, and Flower Confidential: The Good, the Bad, and the Beautiful in the Business of Flowers. She lives in Eureka, California, with her husband Scott Brown, who is a rare book dealer. They own a bookstore called Eureka Books.

Amy has written for the New York Times, the Washington Post, and many other newspapers and magazines. She is the co-founder of the popular blog GardenRant.

Amy’s books have been translated into sixteen languages, and two of them – Wicked Plants and Wicked Bugs – have been adapted into national traveling exhibits that appear at botanical gardens and museums nationwide.

Discussion Points
No discussion points/questions from me yet until I read the book, but Amy Stewart's website here has a few - they do go into detail about the plot and characters though, so best looked at after reading, perhaps.

Other Links
Since this book is based on a historical figure, have a couple of internet links about Constance Kopp! (Obviously these may also contain spoilers)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/auth...
https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/articl...

Have to say, that while I knew nothing about this book when it was first nominated, I am now really looking forward to reading it.

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 237 comments Would you believe that until recently not a single public library in the Netherlands had a copy?

I checked again just now and it looks like at least one and maybe three libraries have a copy. Not in my province, though. Somebody has been sleeping.

Barbarac (bcb72) Hi, how are you all liking the book so far? I read it a few months ago and enjoyed it. So I can't wait to see other's thoughts and reviews.
Here was my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 4: by Louise, Group Founder (last edited Aug 11, 2016 01:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Louise | 680 comments Mod
I finished a few days ago. Really enjoyed it but been a bit busy to write a proper review. Will try to get on that and come up with some discussion points tonight when I get back from work. Normally I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction that's basically a fictionalised version of a real person's life, so I was pretty impressed with how much I enjoyed this one. And I will be readin the sequels.

message 5: by Anita (last edited Aug 23, 2016 06:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anita (anitafajitapitareada) | 1001 comments Mod
This is definitely a book that grows on me as I read it. My interest was first grabbed by the introduction of the tactile workers and the background plot of the strikes. I'm finding the development of the era and society interesting too. This isn't my typical type of read- historical fiction, but it's good anyways :)

Karin I just finished this yesterday. Like Anita, the book grew on me as I read it, but it only garnered 3 stars from me as I just liked it.

my review

Elizabeth (Alaska) I probably won't get to this soon - had not planned on reading it. But it's having won the group reads, a renewed interest in crime fiction, and it's being on today's Kindle daily deals has moved me to add it to my collection. I don't know when I'll get to it, but I'll revisit this thread!

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 237 comments And there's a second volume already!
Lady Cop Makes Trouble

Karin lethe wrote: "And there's a second volume already!
Lady Cop Makes Trouble"

Even though I was underwhelmed and disappointed by the first in a number of ways, I plan to read this because I want to see what happens to the sisters. Perhaps I'll like it better when I don't expect too much from it.

message 10: by Robin P (last edited Dec 20, 2016 07:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Robin P I also thought this was just ok. I've had the same problem with some other historical novels based on real people, that their lives are just not that interesting, or the author doesn't know which incidents to use and how. The big threat that drives this book just sort of dissipates. I think I gave it 3 stars.

message 11: by Karin (last edited Dec 20, 2016 11:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karin Robin wrote: "I also thought this was just ok. I've had the same problem with some other historical novels based on real people, that their lives are just no that interesting, or the author doesn't know which in..."

Yes, I can see you did :). You can't see it right when you post, but your rating shows up if the person who started the thread puts the book in the right box. I gave it 3 stars as well.

message 12: by Stef (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stef Rozitis | 15 comments I loved, loved, loved this book. I loved that the girls were not completely relatable (to a modern reader) and were a bit off centre and puzzling. I felt it was real history even if she had imaginitively filled in many gaps. I would read more like it

I shouldn;t be surprised people liked it less than me, considering if I like something it is almost guaranteed not to be all that popular lol

Karin Stef wrote: "I loved, loved, loved this book. I loved that the girls were not completely relatable (to a modern reader) and were a bit off centre and puzzling. I felt it was real history even if she had imagini..."

:). I'm that way with certain funny movies and TV shows, so I understand. Some humour just doesn't make enough people laugh to make it pay in Hollywood.

message 14: by Stef (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stef Rozitis | 15 comments Exactly. Usually the stuff I like!