English Mysteries Club discussion

Archive pre-2020 > Novel recommendation dealing with 1920s Egyptian fascination?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trevor (new)

Trevor | 1 comments Around the 1920s in the UK, there was a major public fascination with all things Egyptian (discoveries of pharaoh's tombs, etc.). It seemed to me this would make a fascinating subject matter for an English mystery novel, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good one on that topic? Either set in or written during that time, and tapping into that public fascination.

The only one I'm aware of is Agatha Christie's "The Adventure of the Egyptian Tomb" short story.

message 2: by Renée (new)

Renée Mee | 4 comments There is another mystery writer who writes everything Egyptian mysteries. Kind of old fashioned writing. I liked reading anthropology based mysteries which is how I discovered this writer.
Good for a easy read...I believe Elizabeth Peters is the author. They are the cozy mysteries type so many tuck away in their suit case going on cruises. Not challenging reads. I do know some other authors along same line if interested. I have some health issues so prolific reader but divide my books up into different categories. N challenging days,read easy to read cozy reads. On good days save my more challenging reads. I must confess do have a weakness for a good old fashioned mystery.

message 3: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) Renee, I am a big fan of Eliazbeth Peters's AMELIA PEABODY series.

message 4: by Kelley Fae (last edited Aug 09, 2016 11:02PM) (new)

Kelley Fae | 1 comments Trevor wrote: "Around the 1920s in the UK, there was a major public fascination with all things Egyptian (discoveries of pharaoh's tombs, etc.). It seemed to me this would make a fascinating subject matter "

Not sure if the Elizabeth Peters cozies will be your cuppa but they do feature Howard Carter from time to time - among other luminaries of late 19th/early 20th century Egyptology. 'Tomb of the Golden Bird' (#18 in the Amelia Peabody series) covers Carter's discovery of Tut's tomb.

The series spans over 25 years starting in the mid to late 1880's. Each book roughly corresponds to the Peabody-Emerson's excavation season in Egypt. There's also a strong feminist slant to the series with Amelia championing women's rights of the era. The tone of the books captures a Victorian sensibility, and best of all they're funny. MPM (Mertz, Peters, Michaels) had a marvelous sense of humor.

Abbreviated bio:
Barbara Mertz (Elizabeth Peters, Barbara Michaels) earned a doctorate in Egyptology from the University of Chicago in the early 1950's and also wrote two non-fiction books on Egyptology which she revised a half dozen years before she passed away in 2013. She was a member of the Editorial Advisory Board of KMT (A Modern Journal of Ancient Egypt), the Egypt Exploration Society, and the James Henry Breasted Circle of the University of Chicago Oriental Institute.