Play Book Tag discussion

Homegoing
This topic is about Homegoing
Archive: Other Books > Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2305 comments This novel spans 300 years and examines two branches of a Ghanaian family, one who remains in Ghana and one who ends up in America. Effia and Esi are two half sisters who have never met and who live on opposite sides of the country. Effia is forced to marry a slave captain and lives fairly comfortably in Cape Coast Castle, where slaves are housed in filth and squalor in the dungeons below. Esi is one of those slaves and is eventually shipped to America and sold there. The book follows their offspring through several generations and is a series of standalone chapters set during different times. Even though the chapters can stand on their own, they are also part of the larger narrative.

Each story could be it's own book because you want to know more about each and every character. The connecting stories cover everything from the slave trade and British colonization in Ghana to Southern plantations, convict labor camps, and Harlem dope houses. The author did a wonderful job of showing the legacy of slavery and how it affects the descendants, even through multiple generations.

The characters are stunning and their stories emotional. It's both powerful and thought provoking. This is the debut of a gifted new writer and I highly recommend it.

message 2: by Ladyslott (last edited Jul 30, 2016 04:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I loved it too.. Good review, hoping to write one today or tomorrow.

Nicole D. | 1496 comments I'm getting ready to start this on audio. Hope it will work on audio.

message 4: by Booknblues (last edited Jul 30, 2016 09:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknblues | 6647 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "Each story could be it's own book because you want to know more about each and every character."

I rated it a 5 as well and I've stopped reading those long sagas. I did feel some frustration with some of the stories being so short because I would want to experience more of the characters and setting which shaped them. In the end I decided that the long saga was the only way to bring up so many points and give a total experience.

Like Linda, I'm hoping to write a review about this book, but I haven't been all that successful this year.

Susie | 4488 comments I'm looking forward to it.

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Sounds like a wonderful book.