Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Excerpt help

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol Marshall | 102 comments I want to post an excerpt of my series to my social media. What's the best way to do this? I am new to this and I'd like it to look well done...
Thank you!

message 2: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments I've been posting very short quotes in decorative images on Instagram/Facebook and that seems to go over well. I put longer excerpts on my blog but those haven't gotten any attention.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Marshall | 102 comments I saw an author on my feed post a long except and that got me wanting to do the same just trying to figure out how...

message 4: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments I guess your options are blog post, and then link on social media through your facebook following, goodreads, etc, or post separately on each of those platforms?

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol Marshall | 102 comments @C I went old school cut and paste...not pretty but functional

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) There are free image sites where you can find images and themed backgrounds that you can past your snippets onto. I have a handful of images I post to Twitter that have a quote from my book along with the title. Try Pixabay and search backgrounds. There's also a site called PicMonkey (I believe) where you can choose different fonts and images to make it pretty or atmospheric.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol Marshall | 102 comments @Christina Thank you!!! I will check those out.

message 8: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments I use vanilla pen, which is a free app although you can pay for more features. Examples here:
https://www.instagram.com/c.l.lynch/

message 9: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Tashman | 8 comments There's a site called Canva that helps you create those fabulous "meems" you see on social media. There's also DesignFeed. Try those.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol Marshall | 102 comments Thank you everyone, I am going to play with all of these this week and hope it gets me some attention.

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela Joseph | 132 comments Victoria wrote: "There's a site called Canva that helps you create those fabulous "meems" you see on social media. There's also DesignFeed. Try those."

I tried using Canva yesterday to make an infographic for my blog, but it was a mess. I couldn't use it. Maybe I need to try again, but I guess I can use it for Facebook. You have to pay for the nicer backgrounds though.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol Marshall | 102 comments @ Angela I used canva today to make a graphic with one of my poems that's in one of my novels. It was difficult and there is definitely a learning curve.

message 13: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Tashman | 8 comments DesignFeed is much easier to use but limited.

message 14: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) There are also some great apps for when the mood strikes and you aren't in front of a computer. Pixlr is great, but their fk ts are limited. PixelLab has great text tools,but no undo button, which is frustrating at times.