World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Wealth & Economics > Copter or Yacht?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nik (last edited Jul 30, 2016 03:46AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 15746 comments Traffic jams and cheaper kerosene (yeah, I know, if you buy a copter, you shouldn't worry too much about fuel prices, but people still do) make a chopper a pretty functional thing, however dodging the increasing number of drones may become difficult.
While yacht still offers elegance and class and theoretic possibility to get around the globe for those with aviophobia.
What would be your choice?

message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments Yacht. No question. I love to sail... I love the sea... I love the warm winds... Damn! I live in the UK... :D

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) I'm a flier, through and through.

Copter? Or *smirks* private jet...? Give it to me, baby!!

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15746 comments I'm going to impose between 0.5 to 1B cap on enrichment, so unless it's corporate, the maintenance of a jet might be a bit demanding -:)
Gonna leave Travolta his Boeing though and Iron Maiden too

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments But you can share my yacht, Annie ***kneeling*** ***Hands Clasped**** :D

message 6: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Nik: *pouts*

@Mr Tim: I am a huge supporter of begging *smirks* Is there a private chef aboard? A girl's gotta eat too, ya know? ^_~

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15746 comments Alright, alright you can have a Gulfstream too

message 8: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Nik: The G650? Just a mere $65M, boss! Yeah, this girl knows her jets...

*smiles sweetly*

message 9: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15746 comments Never doubted-:)
If there is any change left, Tim would appreciate a beer and maybe Mike and I too? Here are the keys, incl to yacht

message 10: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) *adds yacht keys to master keyring*

Oh, don't worry, boss. There's ALWAYS a beer budget. Gotta keep you gentlemen happy. Happy equals more productive, after all. Heck, I'll even serve it...

*grabs mugs**pours beer**slides em over*

message 11: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 290 comments Neither copter nor yacht for me folks. I'm going to have a drone with a seat in it, then fly it and fly in it at the same time (shouldn't be a problem; I'll just take the remote control on board with me). Clean electric power (I'll charge if from a solar panel in my garden), no noise, land anywhere. You're never alone with a drone - the perfect companion for a busy writer's life!

And it'll be perfect for landing on the yacht, although Annie may confiscate my keys again when she serves the beer.

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) *adds electric-powered drone to list of acquisitions* Annnnd...

Mike wrote: "Annie may will confiscate my keys again when she serves the beer."

Fixed it for ya ^_~

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Annie wrote: "*adds electric-powered drone to list of acquisitions* Annnnd...

Mike wrote: "Annie may will confiscate my keys again when she serves the beer."

Fixed it for ya ^_~"

yacht. need to be prepared for the results of global warming.

does hugh howey still live on a yacht?

message 14: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments Well done for being green, Alex. Of course a yacht is by far the better option. Wind power is free!!! :D And it's perfect for a writer's isolation... :D -Yeah! I'm grinning like a Cheshire cat! :D

message 15: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Alex G wrote: "yacht. need to be prepared for the results of global warming."

Such an Awesome Alex answer hahaha!! And the alliteration!!! *pats self on back*

No idea about Howey though...

message 16: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11505 comments Have you ever seen a major LA freeway at 5 pm from a chopper? Now, imagine all those people in helicopters, each going their own way. The population down below might eventually get sick of being bombed by colliding helicopters.

message 17: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Ian: Pfft! Who said there would be many choppers? If we're still worrying about rush hour, we ain't flying high quite yet... ^_~

message 18: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11505 comments Ha! Annie wants just one, and for her !! Great idea, if you can make it work. As you might guess, I have seen a major LA freeway at 5 pm from a chopper. It was a great way to get around, but there was an element of exclusivity about it.

message 19: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15746 comments Ian wrote: "Now, imagine all those people in helicopters, each going their own way. The population down below ..."

Unfortunately, with the chopper often comes the mentality not to give a s..t about those down below -:(

message 20: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11505 comments Nik wrote: "Ian wrote: "Now, imagine all those people in helicopters, each going their own way. The population down below ..."

Unfortunately, with the chopper often comes the mentality not to give a s..t abou..."

Yes, but when they start colliding, those below get really annoyed by the debris falling on them

message 21: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15746 comments If the heli traffic gets heavy, I'm sure they'd install anti-collision auto-pilots there -:)

message 22: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11505 comments And I am sure someone would find a way to botch that up :-(

message 23: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Tsk tsk, gentlemen. You're missing the bigger vision here...

When the sky gets crowded, we'll just take the autobahn *smirks*

Hugs,
Ann

P.S. - I ain't a selfish brat, Sir Ian. I'll save you a seat. All you gotta do is have some faith ^_~

message 24: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 290 comments A crowded freeway or motorway from a chopper is one hell of a sight. I was a traffic broadcaster back in the 1980s, and once used one (a Bell Jetcopter, as I recall) to monitor the queues around the approach to the British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch in July 1984. The lines stretching back from the entrance to the Dartford Tunnel, which goes under the Thames Estuary east of London, were frightening.

A chance for some schadenfreude as I was sharing the spotter duties with a colleague, and he had organised a splendid hamper full of ham, cheeses, pies, white wine etc.; it was a hot day and between flights we relaxed in a corner of the cool field we were flying from, stuffing ourselves and thinking of all the people stuck in hot cars a mile or so away.

message 25: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 290 comments Nik wrote: "If the heli traffic gets heavy, I'm sure they'd install anti-collision auto-pilots there -:)"

as long as they're not Google self-drive ;)

message 26: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Mike wrote: "[stuff] July 1984 [more stuff]"

I was negative 1 years old ^_~

Such a brat,
Ann

message 27: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 290 comments I was 27. Oddly, I feel younger now than I did then. But perhaps that's just the mid-life crisis that has me wanting to fly around in drones.

message 28: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15746 comments Mike wrote: "as long as they're not Google self-drive ;)"

They'll call it self-fly or safe-fly-:)

message 29: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15746 comments Mike wrote: "I feel younger now than I did then."

Excellent feeling and, in my opinion, it matters more than date in the passport

message 30: by Annie (last edited Jul 31, 2016 10:45AM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Nik wrote: "Excellent feeling and, in my opinion, it matters more than date in the passport"

I was only teasing, boss. I always dig me an older man anyway ^_~

EDIT: Oh, gawd! That sounded all sorts of inappropriate *sigh* Just for the record, I am NOT trying to dig any specific holes here!!

message 31: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 290 comments Delighted to hear it, Annie. As we age, we gain taste and maturity. (Like cheese.)

message 32: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Mike wrote: "(Like cheese.)"

Yes, I do. Thanks for asking. Oh...was that not a question...?

message 33: by Ian (new)

Ian Bott (iansbott) | 214 comments For pleasure it would have to be a yacht. A proper sailing yacht - there is nothing quite to magical as being under sail on a summer's day. Would have to come with a skipper and crew, though. I can't sail for toffee.

For transportation, though, since we're in cloud cuckoo land, I would go for Star Trek transporters and do away with all those traffic line ups for good.

message 34: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Ian wrote: "For transportation, though, since we're in cloud cuckoo land, I would go for Star Trek transporters and do away with all those traffic line ups for good. "

1. I am NOT in cloud cuckoo land! Perhaps ambitious-to-a-fault land...? ^_~
2. Sci-fi writers...

message 35: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) What about a flying car? Its got all the convenience of a chopper with the driving capability of a car. Plus... you know, it's FLYING CAR!

message 36: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Matthew: Ask and you shall receive, good sir!

The AeroMobil. Due to hit the market next year... ^_~

message 37: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments Ian wrote: For pleasure it would have to be a yacht. A proper sailing yacht - there is nothing quite to magical as being under sail on a summer's day. Would have to come with a skipper and crew, though. I can't sail for toffee.

I volunteer to skipper the yacht! I'm an excellent sailor... :)

message 38: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15746 comments Sounds like a party in the making, so I'll join to. There are probably no need for moderators on the high seas, so just in the capacity of ..... a beer-drinker, if I may

message 39: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Annie wrote: "@Mr Matthew: Ask and you shall receive, good sir!

The AeroMobil. Due to hit the market next year... ^_~"

Yep yep, and Terrafugia is sure to deliver soon, and Moller International is the one that really started it all. I want his M400X Skycar!

message 40: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Matthew: Ah, a man who knows his flying cars!

*nods**puts you in my good books**hugs*

Hmm. Moller is just too aircraft-esque for my taste buds...but...you're right! Credit where credit is due!!

message 41: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Annie wrote: "@Matthew: Ah, a man who knows his flying cars!

*nods**puts you in my good books**hugs*

Hmm. Moller is just too aircraft-esque for my taste buds...but...you're right! Credit where credit is due!!"

Why thank you! I do a lot of writing about the tech industry and you know... flying cars!

message 42: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Matthew wrote: "Why thank you! I do a lot of writing about the tech industry and you know... flying cars!"

well, then why not escape--as in escape velocity--the entire global warming danger entirely!

join Elon Musk on the next SpaceX flight.

message 43: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15746 comments Was waiting for Rich Branson with Virgin. Hope he'll offer Christmas discounts on space travel

message 44: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Nik wrote: "Was waiting for Rich Branson with Virgin. Hope he'll offer Christmas discounts on space travel"

ah true.

message 45: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Alex G wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Why thank you! I do a lot of writing about the tech industry and you know... flying cars!"

well, then why not escape--as in escape velocity--the entire global warming danger entire..."

I imagine many people will. But I'd rather stick to Earth. Less chance of asphyxiation, freezing and burning alive (so far)

message 46: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Nik wrote: "Was waiting for Rich Branson with Virgin. Hope he'll offer Christmas discounts on space travel"

If Branson can pull it off, he and Golden Spike are likely to start doing Moon tours too.

message 47: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2281 comments Nik wrote: "Was waiting for Rich Branson with Virgin. Hope he'll offer Christmas discounts on space travel"

You're debating between modes of luxury transportation, but here is the choice for the truly extravagant adventurist. Screw the helicopter and the yacht, give me the spaceship...

message 48: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15746 comments J.J. wrote: "spaceship....."

Kinda advanced cross-polination of both with a much wider application for flight and sail

message 49: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) J.J. wrote: "Nik wrote: "Was waiting for Rich Branson with Virgin. Hope he'll offer Christmas discounts on space travel"

You're debating between modes of luxury transportation, but here is the choice for the t..."

What kind?

message 50: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2281 comments Preferably one that doesn't explode on takeoff or landing...

« previous 1