Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > The Witch

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 175 comments Opinions on this one?

I thought it was simple but elegant. I really enjoyed it. The girl was kind of left with no choice in the end. Her decision felt inevitable. Right.

I liked the depiction of the Devil or lack thereof. That voice....

Also, I kept the closed captions on the whole time. Could barely understand them half the time.

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve | 12 comments I just bought the bluray, I love a good horror movie.

message 3: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 175 comments Did you get to watch it yet? I'm curious about people's reactions. I could see it being boring to some.

message 4: by Steve (new)

Steve | 12 comments no not yet, I think I'll like it and will let you know if I do or not.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 405 comments I was someone that found it boring. It has had so many good reviews but I was left very disappointed.

The acting was quite poor by some of the actors. I think I've seen too many horror films as I didn't really see this as horror.

It seemed like it was an arty student film, if you know what I mean. Focusing shots on random things for some unknown reason.

And the language used was very off putting.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 405 comments Oh, but the head butting goat made me laugh!

Old Phillip or whatever his name was.

message 7: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 604 comments I loved it, but I love movies set in the past, so even without the horror element I would've liked it.

There were a few parts that made me jump like (view spoiler), but mostly I felt it was more of an atmospheric movie than out-and-out horror.

I thought the acting was pretty good, especially the kids.

I, too, had the subtitles on...but my hearing isn't the best, so I've started doing that for everything I watch on TV.

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7522 comments Anna (Bananas!) wrote: "Did you get to watch it yet? I'm curious about people's reactions. I could see it being boring to some."

It was to me and I had a hard time understanding what the characters were saying, I had to turn on the subtitles.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments it didn't do much for me. I also had trouble understanding the dialogue. But I may consider a re-watch.

message 10: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11124 comments Mod
i saw it in theaters. as soon as I saw "folktale" on the screen, I knew I would love it. and I did. I bought the BR and have watched it a few times since then. it still holds up for me. I did have trouble with the dialogue but I understood enough to keep up.

message 11: by Latasha (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Oh, but the head butting goat made me laugh!

Old Phillip or whatever his name was."

lol! black phillip! crazy ol goat. I could understand him being so mean, being terrorized by those mean ass twins all day :p

message 12: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 175 comments Latasha wrote: "i saw it in theaters. as soon as I saw "folktale" on the screen, I knew I would love it. and I did. I bought the BR and have watched it a few times since then. it still holds up for me. I did have ..."

I liked that about it too. One scene made me think of Red Riding Hood.
It also reminded me a lot the Crucible, just that classic portrayal of what a witch is and does and her association with the devil.

message 13: by Latasha (new)

I could see that. I do like bad, bad witches!

message 14: by Helen (new)

Helen | 125 comments I really enjoyed this folk horror tale, though I did watch it twice because it took a little while to 'tune in' to some of the Olde English (I'm English!) dialect with hints of Scottish in the case of the mother (I thought her acting was so good I soon forgot she was in GoT, as was the father though in a much smaller role).

I appreciated the real low-down dirty grottiness of the child-stealing witch - a proper witch, not a nice clean Hollywood version!

message 15: by Latasha (new)

That would be great! I'll send u an e-mail. Thank you!

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments FYI: Self-promotion is not allowed in non-self-promotion threads.

I saw The Witch a few weeks ago on DVD, and enjoyed the dark atmosphere. Anything with the devil in it scares me, and this movie had its moments. The ending: terrifying.

We also could barely understand two words out of a string. I can't remember if we turned on the CC or if we just rode with it.

The twins are horrible little jerks.

message 17: by Laurie (last edited Aug 01, 2016 09:26AM) (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments I saw it in the theater and really had to pay attention to the dialogue but it worked for me because people had to actually listen so the nitwits in the theater kept quiet until the end when several had to announce "that sucked". I thought it delivered on the slow building atmosphere and I loved the ending. Those twins were MONSTERS.

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It was the father I couldn't understand most of the time. I have the worst time understanding British or Irish accents.

message 19: by Latasha (new)

I watched it again the other night. They talk really low too.

message 20: by Char (new)

Char  | 14689 comments Mod
Tressa wrote: "FYI: Self-promotion is not allowed in non-self-promotion threads.

I saw The Witch a few weeks ago on DVD, and enjoyed the dark atmosphere. Anything with the devil in it scares me, and this movie ..."

Thanks for letting me know, Tressa.

message 21: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments You're welcome. Super annoying.

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (itsmelissa) | 9 comments I loved it too. I, too, like my witches to be bad. Like my vampires. I'm all for the Nosferatu-types.

I used the subtitles, too, so I could catch everything. The only thing is, I wish there had been more "post" scenes. I wanted to see her life afterwards.

Maybe what I wanted was for the movie to be 3-4 hours long. Hahah. Not fair of me, really.

message 23: by Latasha (new)

Oh Melissa! Have u seen the subspecies series? Ready is a bad mofo and he isn't pretty. Please note these are really dated and not a big budget but I grew up with them and love them dearly. I like the 2nd one best.

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (itsmelissa) | 9 comments I have not seen those. thank you for mentioning them! I'll look them up right now. :)

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (itsmelissa) | 9 comments Angus Scrimm is in those...The Tall Man from Phantasm. So great!

message 26: by Latasha (new)

Yeah he's only in the first one though.