What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 12-ish year old girl goes to Southern US and discovers a mystery

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 2 comments So, I read this book eons ago, and for the life of me cannot remember the name or author. It's a mystery about a girl who visits the southern US for a summer and stays with a family member (Aunt or Grandma, can't remember.) While she's down there, she gets involved with a ghost or a living boy, I think. It turns out that the child is/was involved is some kind of mystery- possibly a crime. At one point (toward the end, I think) she's hiding in a tree and falls, ends up in the hospital, and is holding something very important that she refuses to give up. I believe it was written in the 1990s, and it is an American book.

Sorry to be so vague, but unfortunately that's really all I can remember. I do recall at one point, when she's being showed around the house, she is told that the "privy" is outside. Any help that can be given would be hugely appreciated! :-D

message 2: by GracieKat (last edited Jul 29, 2016 09:17PM) (new)

GracieKat | 126 comments Maybe try searching Betty Ren Wright? She wrote a lot of mystery type books that usually included ghosts as their main theme. Our perhaps Patricia Naylor or perhaps Mary Downing Hahn?

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 2 comments None of those seemed to offer anything, but thank you for the suggestions :). Also, there didn't seem to be anything about Patricia Naylor, other than obits for non-authors. I will keep searching. Again, thanks! :)

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments Maybe check through this list? https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8...

message 5: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments Do you remember how many years ago you read the book? Was it new at the time?

Anything about the cover?
Part of a series?
Time period story takes place?

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen | 148 comments Almost sounds like a Phyllis A Whitney book.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36034 comments Mod
Phyllis A. Whitney - author suggested by Jen

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36034 comments Mod
Catherine, can you describe the girl -- shy, makes friends easily, adventurous, girl detective, extremely intelligent, funny, etc.?

What's the tone -- mysterious, funny, etc.?

message 9: by Krista (new)

Krista | 148 comments Phyllis Reynolds Naylor is who Gracie means, I think.

Or could it be one of Peck's Blossom Culp books? First one is The Ghost Belonged to Me

message 10: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 126 comments Krista wrote: "Phyllis Reynolds Naylor is who Gracie means, I think.

Or could it be one of Peck's Blossom Culp books? First one is The Ghost Belonged to Me"

Yes, thank you, I'm not sure where the Patricia came from, lol.

Maybe Bruce Coville as well? I read a mystery by him and his Nina Tanleven series features ghosts.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40168 comments Mod
Catherine, are you still looking for this or did you find it?