The Talisman (The Talisman, #1)
This topic is about The Talisman
The Talisman, by Stephen King & Peter Straub

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 966 comments The Talisman
The Talisman (The Talisman, #1) by Stephen King

GR synopsis:
On a brisk autumn day, a twelve-year-old boy stands on the shores of the gray Atlantic, near a silent amusement park and a fading ocean resort called the Alhambra. The past has driven Jack Sawyer here: his father is gone, his mother is dying, and the world no longer makes sense. But for Jack everything is about to change. For he has been chosen to make a journey back across America--and into another realm.

I just started reading this to continue on with my Stephen King/Dark Tower Challenge. So far it is a pretty interesting story, and I'm building some pretty high expectations for it.

message 2: by Zaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 2983 comments I re-read it last year, I think it's my 4 or 5th re-read. The sexualisation bothered me in this one (I'd no problem with it before but now I'm really older than the hero and I think it changes how I see him. Also the book was contemporary when I read it before but the world is different now and some things would probably be edited if it was published now).

The story was compelling, it's a big book that doesn't feel big with plenty of adventures, action and creepy characters. I liked the characters and the jumps between worlds :)

I never re-read the sequel (I've no memory of it except liking it less than the 1st) so I'd be interested in your opinion if you also read it :)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 966 comments I just finished this early this morning. I really liked it overall, and I agree with you Zaz, about the adventures and actions. for the most part, at least for me, the book went really quickly, but towards the middle of the end I was getting eager for it to end. I was ready for a conclusion and to start my next book.

I'm planning on reading Black House, but it won't be for awhile yet.

The book reminded me a lot of the Little Engine That Could/books 3 and 4 of The Dark Tower. It also reminded me of something else, but I could never put my finger on what it was exactly. It felt familiar and really comfortable though.

3.5/5

Elizabeth | -15 comments glad you liked it, its one of my all favorites of his books, its been a while since I read it, going to have to re buy me a copy and add it to my new Stephen King Library, since I'm slow getting back into his books