SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

General Topics > Self promotion for one's books

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Pirillo (johnpirillo) | 51 comments Have any of you used social media or Fiver to promote your work?

What works best for you to reach your audience?

I've had some nice luck promoting my work, but it seems a bit limited from my point of view in the reach I'm getting.

message 2: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 121 comments That's a huge topic!

There's a thread about it on the Goodreads Author Feedback Group. It takes a while to wade through with more than 2,500 comments, but there are some nuggets in there:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Another site with lots of information is Absolute Write:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forum...

I particularly recommend reading through the stickies in absolute write. If you wade through the stickies in the relevant forums (novels, self-publishing, the different genres, etc) there is the equivalent of a free writing course in there. Would help to tackle nearly all of the typical noobie book-writing mistakes.

One word of warning. Using social media and fiverr to publicise your book ("Hey world, my book is here!") is okay. Using social media or fiverr to buy, beg, borrow or otherwise obtain reviews is generally not okay.

Best of luck. The good news is that the information you need is out there. The bad news is that there is no single answer, no guarantee of success and it will take a lot of hard work and good fortune.

message 3: by B.M. (new)

B.M. Gomez (authorbmgomez) | 9 comments Conflicts of the Universe

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JAT4MC8/...

The 2-day free Kindle book giveaway is now ongoing for Conflicts of the Universe (Earth at War). The giveaway will last until the latter hours of July 31st. The giveaway is at amazon only so you will need an amazon account. Thank you everyone,

B. M. Gomez

message 4: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 121 comments And that's an example of how not to do it!

message 5: by Jacob (new)

Jacob | 2 comments kboards writers cafe has several topics on promotion too which are really helpful, so does 20booksto50k.com

I've tried Fiverr in the past and didn't like it for ads. Mostly because all they do is spam post it to nonrelevant groups. All things you can do for free after you set up your Author Facebook page. Personally, I would go with Facebook ads. Especially, since you can target your ad audience based on similar interests. I've also gotten decent reach with Pinterest ads, but I'm still experimenting with them.

But, like Will said above as far as ads go different methods seem to work better for different people. There really isn't any one right answer. Except don't put ads where they don't belong.

message 6: by John (new)

John Pirillo (johnpirillo) | 51 comments Thanks for the advice!

I wasn't sure if the Fiver people had some secret formula for targeting my audience or not, which was why I asked. Usually, if it looks too good to be true, it is.

I'll check into the sites you recommended. Thanks Jacob.

message 7: by John (new)

John Pirillo (johnpirillo) | 51 comments Will wrote: "And that's an example of how not to do it!"

Why do you feel it's not a good example?

message 8: by John (new)

John Pirillo (johnpirillo) | 51 comments Will wrote: "That's a huge topic!

There's a thread about it on the Goodreads Author Feedback Group. It takes a while to wade through with more than 2,500 comments, but there are some nuggets in there:

https:/..."

Will wrote: "That's a huge topic!

https:/..."

Infinitely large, evidently.

Thanks for the reply and the help.

I've been seeing improvement, but it's a long haul evidently. I'll check into your links. Thanks a lot, Will. Have a great weekend!

message 9: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 121 comments John wrote: "Will wrote: "And that's an example of how not to do it!"

Why do you feel it's not a good example?"

Readers don't want "buy my book!" constantly rammed down their throats. After a while it gets to be counter-productive as the author alienates the people he/she is trying to woo.

So we need to tread a little carefully in Goodreads. We're here to make friends - not to annoy people with spammy splatter posts.

Forums appreciate it if an author pimping a book is a regular visitor to a forum. Spend some time getting to know people. Be helpful. Contribute to general discussions. That sort of thing.

There are many parts of GR where an author can post a "read my book" sort of post. Most forums have an "authors may post here" section or something like that.

The kind of post that annoys many people is the fly-by author that no-one has seen before who spams lots of "buy my book" posts in appropriate places. Some forum mods will delete posts like that.

For example, this particular forum (Sci fi and fantasy eBook club) has a separate section for author self promotion. That's where the "buy my book" posts belong. You've posted this (quite rightly) in the general topics section. So we ought to use this thread to answer your question and try to help you, and not to pimp our latest book.

message 10: by John (new)

John Pirillo (johnpirillo) | 51 comments I see where you're going with that. I think sometimes people think this site is like Twitter or one of the other social media engines. But even with those, it's treading a thin line.

The hardest part for writers, myself included, is to know when to hold back and when to push forward.

I recently got suspended from GooglePlus for spamming, but hey wouldn't tell me why.

What I figured out was that I have three blogs and since I post my new books on all three they were showing up three times and not once. I didn't realize that my blog info was going into the same flow as all others.

So now I am limiting my posts to the one blog and just posting the usual fractal flame energies I love creating and soon I'll be posting a series of articles about writing I've learned, with the hope it will help newbies and maybe some of the older writers who haven't thought about what I'm saying.

Thanks again Will for the nice response. I love this group. It's been very nice to be part of.

Have a great week.

John

message 11: by John (new)

John Pirillo (johnpirillo) | 51 comments I meant to write fractal flame images, not energies, but when you see the images you'll know why energies slipped out instead.

:)