Dresden Files discussion

Who's the leak in the church?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Archimedes Grimm | 139 comments Coins that are captured by the good guys seem to be back on the streets fairly quickly. Somewhere along the line there has to be a traitor who is ensuring that the coins from the Order of the Blackened Denerians are not staying locked up. I would like to hear from YOU who you think the traitor is (preferably from out of people we've already met), how they're getting the coins out without others knowing, WHY they're doing this, and if they even know that they're doing it? What are your thoughts, what characters do you suspect and are they evil through and through or being forced to do something they don't want to do?

message 2: by Correai (new)

Correai (buddingpolymath) | 51 comments I honestly doubt it's Father Forthill. If he was corrupted by the Denarians, the Angels of Death wouldn't have thought him worthy of their protection. I think there was another person who worked in that particular church, and it could be them. I personally think it's a yet unnamed Cardinal since they were the ones behind most of the molestation cover-ups in the real world.

Archimedes Grimm | 139 comments Hmmm, hadn't thought of that re Father Forthill. That does kind of suggest he's innocent. But it doesn't rule him out as a dupe. He could be unknowingly giving the coins to a Denerian - remember Cassius? Or as you said, it could be one of his superiors or a character we haven't met yet who's responsible. We might not even ever meet the traitor - it could just end up being a scene in which Father Forthill explains to Dresden that the leak has been caught and is being delt with internally (hopefully with the reason of why the leak was a leak in the first place.) But I digress. Now, could fake coins be forged? I doubt they would have the same aura, but the other fallen must know the symbols on each of the coins - they must have had enough time to study them over the centuries. Could the coins being handed in to the church be switched somewhere along the line between acquisition and permanent storage?

message 4: by Correai (new)

Correai (buddingpolymath) | 51 comments Archimedes Grimm wrote: "Hmmm, hadn't thought of that re Father Forthill. That does kind of suggest he's innocent. But it doesn't rule him out as a dupe. He could be unknowingly giving the coins to a Denarian - remember Ca..."

I support the idea that they could be switched in-transit. I still feel that the Angels in the books would know better. They function on the spiritual plane (Harry didn't see his first one until he was a ghost) and they would witness Forthill giving up the coins even if he didn't know he was doing it. Of course, JB could write in a way to make it Father Forthill, but I think it will be someone behind the scenes (re Peabody).

message 5: by Monica, White Council (new)

Monica T. Rodriguez (monicatrodriguez) | 374 comments Mod
I hadn't thought of the possibility of a fake! You just opened up a new can of worms...

message 6: by Cherie (new)

Cherie | 96 comments I find it impossible that Forthill is tainted - he is at the carpenter's house regularly. That alone is enough. There's no way the Knights would not be warned of such a thing or know it themselves.

The church is a huge organism - no reason there is not a 'black church' like the black council operating fully within it - there's not ONE leak.

Archimedes Grimm | 139 comments An interesting theory! I had thought of multiple potential leaks within the church, but always as individual agents with possible connections to the denerians. I hadn't considered an organization within the church working for the denerians, mostly because I pictured the number of people aware of the coins within the church to be fairly small. Can't wait to find out the truth!

message 8: by Joel Benedict (new)

Joel Benedict Mandaya (bookaddictsendhelp) | 1 comments The Merlin? It was mentioned that the White Council had a hand in the formation of the church. Or a new Black Council player?

message 9: by Monica, White Council (new)

A Black Church... a fascinating theory! It would make sense, and it would be small. Imagine if the Merlin were involved!
any word on when Peace Talks is expected?

message 10: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~, White Council (new)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 289 comments Mod
Monica~I just checked Jim's website and Amazon. Both are saying it's too early for release date. However I did see something new and exciting. Shadowed Souls by Kerrie L. Hughes . Jim's the editor on this book.

message 11: by Monica, White Council (new)

Awesome! I didn't know there was a short story expected! Something to tide us over, at least. Thanks for that, Angie! You made my day.

message 12: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~, White Council (new)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 289 comments Mod
You're welcome!

message 13: by Monica, White Council (new)

Just finished Blood Rites, and thought I'd add this tidbit on Father Forthill.

Ebenezar tells Harry that Forthill is a good man, though he only knows him by reputation. On the one hand, Ebenezar's opinion counts a lot for me here. But he hasn't actually meet Forthill, so he could have gotten the wrong impression from a bad source. Still, I'm inclined to say, if Ebenezar thinks Forthill is ok, then he's ok. Probably. Maybe. Okay, he is the Blackstaff and an assassin, and he did lie to Harry throughout his childhood, so... it's possible?

message 14: by Bear (new)

Bear IV (beariv) | 156 comments It's the Polytheistic Priest, Father Forthill!

message 15: by Ksenia (last edited Apr 20, 2017 05:24PM) (new)

Ksenia | 26 comments For some reason I think it might be Father Paolo, who works in St. Mary in Chicago. He was mention as the only other priest by name in several books. Also he works along side with Father Forthill. It just my thoughts. On another hand it could be others who were spiking against Harry holding swords in his custody. More then few of them hate the fact that Harry is the outsider and wizard to boot. Remember Warrior short story? There opposition to Harry, also Nicodimus had mentioned that he gets half the coins back through church channel. Also it must be several priests, not just one who does that. Otherwise it could be noticeable that much faster.