Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books & Editions > New books and inability to separate

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (christophermaddox) | 14 comments I am not able to use the separating tool. When I select it, it goes to a page advertising another book which is unrelated to what I'm trying to do.

The separating too simply is not working. Apparently, I need to separate and then recombine.

Thank you

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7034 comments Authors cannot separate. If you would provide links, a librarian will be glad to help.

message 3: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (christophermaddox) | 14 comments If you mean a link to my combine editions page, here it is

https://www.goodreads.com/book/combin...

I want to separate the three books under Lessons Learned. The book that should be shown is Riding Lessons. Can you then combine them so that Riding Lessons is the one shown?
Thank you so much.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7034 comments I separated Riding Lessons from Lessons Learned. I'm not sure what you mean by "the one shown". Do you mean on your dashboard? Only you can see that page, and my understanding is that there is no control over which book shows there.

message 5: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (christophermaddox) | 14 comments I just checked, and Riding Lessons has shown up on my Books Page. Thank you. Now, is there a way to remove Lessons Learned from the Book Page, because it is an earlier edition of Riding Lessons and is no longer available. Lessons from an Angle is also an earlier edition, but is not showing.

message 6: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14581 comments Christopher wrote: "Apparently, I need to separate and then recombine."

Why? Separating and then recombining is only done when a duplicate edition is merged (deleted).

I recombined them, since they are different editions of the same book. What you actually want is to make Riding Lessons the default edition (the one that shows up on your author page and in searches, etc.) You can do so by following these instructions: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Goodreads does not delete books that are no longer available.

message 7: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (christophermaddox) | 14 comments I'm sorry, but Riding Lessons is not showing up. It was, but it reverted back to Lessons Learned. Since, if someone clicks on it and wants to read it, it goes to Amazon,which only has Riding Lessons, why can't I change the name of Lessons Learned to Riding Lessons and upload a different cover for it? They all have the same ISBN number.
Thank you for your help.

message 8: by lethe (last edited Jul 29, 2016 04:40PM) (new)

lethe | 14581 comments Christopher wrote: "I'm sorry, but Riding Lessons is not showing up. It was, but it reverted back to Lessons Learned. Since, if someone clicks on it and wants to read it, it goes to Amazon,which only has Riding Lesson..."

As I wrote in my previous comment: What you actually want is to make Riding Lessons the default edition (the one that shows up on your author page and in searches, etc.) You can do so by following these instructions: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 9: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (christophermaddox) | 14 comments You couldn't have been more explicit the first time. I just didn't get it. It worked perfectly when I followed directions. Thank you so much for your patients and your support. There are a lot of problems with the listings on the "Books by" page, but I will try to make my way through them. I love where you live.
Thanks again for your help.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7034 comments Thanks for following up on this lethe. I had gone to read for a bit.

message 11: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (christophermaddox) | 14 comments Hi, again: I have another problem I can't seem to be able to resolve. I have a book Jamie, Jennifer & Joy. I removed it from all sales outlets. It was one of my first books. It was poorly written and not fixable. Is it possible to remove it from my profile page?

I know that it will stay on my dashboard.
Thank you again.

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments No, it is not possible to remove from your profile page, GR keeps all books available even out of print books

message 13: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (christophermaddox) | 14 comments Bummer, but thanks for letting me know. At least, now I won't go crazy trying.

message 14: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14581 comments Christopher wrote: "I love where you live."

message 15: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (christophermaddox) | 14 comments Thanks to you, I have been able to make the rest of the changes necessary on my Profile Page except one. I need to change the book cover that is shown on "Tender Restraints". The correct cover is shown on Amazon but not here. If you could remove it for me, I could upload the new cover. At least, that's how I think it works.

Everything else is as it should be.
Thanks again for all of your help.

message 16: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (christophermaddox) | 14 comments Please disregard the above request. I finally found where the "Add new edition" was located. My Profile Page is up to date with all of the correct editions along with the correct book covers.

Again, thank you for bringing me up to speed on how the Goodreads pages work. I shouldn't have these difficulties again.

message 17: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (christophermaddox) | 14 comments I spoke too soon. When you click on "Tender Restraints" profile page, it doesn't link to Amazon. I went back and added the ASIN number that Amazon gave the book, B00E0MR0L6, but it was rejected because it was already taken by the previous version.
I think I need help on this one.
Thanks again.

message 18: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (christophermaddox) | 14 comments Okay, I'm confused. The majority of my books will link to the respective book page on Amazon so it can be purchased. Why won't the rest of them?

Thank you,

message 19: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (christophermaddox) | 14 comments That makes sense. When I tried to add the ASIN to the correct edition, it wouldn't let me. It said that it was already taken by a previous edition. Is there a way that I can assign the ASIN number to the proper edition>

message 20: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14581 comments Christopher wrote: "Is there a way that I can assign the ASIN number to the proper edition"

No, the ASIN has to stay on the edition that was first added. Later editions can have a librarian note saying it is an alternative cover, so people will know where to look for the (Amazon) link. I have added a note to Tender Restraints: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 21: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 22053 comments Christopher wrote: "That makes sense. When I tried to add the ASIN to the correct edition, it wouldn't let me. It said that it was already taken by a previous edition. Is there a way that I can assign the ASIN number ..."

The ASIN (or isbn) has to stay on the edition that was first added to Goodreads.
Editions with the same ASIN or isbn and a new cover are called alternate cover editions.
You can find the policy for alternate cover editions here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...
and http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/85....

message 22: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (christophermaddox) | 14 comments This seems terribly confusing to the reader who might click on the book cover he thinks is right only to end up on a unrelated Amazon page. But it is what it is.

I have tried to go back and add that comment you added to Tender Restraints, but I can't figure out how to do it. Could you give me instructions on how to do it myself or please do it for the following books as well:

Riding Lessons
Emily's Window
Secrets
Lost and Found
Andrea's Love

Thank you once again.

message 23: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (christophermaddox) | 14 comments Thank you, Armi: I looked at what you did for "Tender Restraints", and I did the same for the remainder of the books. I still think it is confusing to the potential reader, but rules is rules. Two days ago I had no idea how to operate within the Goodreads format, but thanks to you and lethe, I feel at home now.

Thank you both.