Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > TERROR IN YPSILANTI

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

message 2: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments This looks so good but it's only on Amazon in the New/Used section and no ebook version. I wonder why it isn't offered via Amazon?

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee | 130 comments It's available from Amazon UK but with a 3 to 6 weeks waiting time.In my experience that usually happens when there is a delay in releasing the item.
The release date is Aug 1st on Amazon but the link Belleza posted says it is taking pre release orders.
It looks a must buy to me if I can get a copy!

message 4: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments You're right. I just noticed the words "advanced order" on the author's web site. Thanks!

message 5: by Fishface (last edited Nov 18, 2016 09:48AM) (new)

Fishface | 13718 comments Reading this now and greatly enjoying it. I'm so happy so finally see a photo of his youngest victim, Dawn Basom ("Dale Harum" was her pseudonym in Michigan Murders). It also gives all manner of addresses so I can see the house where the killer lived in Center Line, where he lived in Ypsi, body dump sites galore...And even a photo of Roxie Phillips without that Scrod-awful beehive! In fact, the photos in this book bring home how very similar a lot of the victims were visually. I guess we all know now what type his 'dream date' was.

message 6: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 123 comments I'm reading The Michigan Murders now and really like the writing.

message 7: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 13718 comments That's a good one, but some of the information in here is different from what I read (several times) in Michigan Murders. Now I have to struggle with knowing which information is correct...

message 8: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 123 comments Ugh. How can you mess up facts?

message 9: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 13718 comments Fournier goes so far as to call Michigan Murders a "novelization." He did change some details to protect privacy but I would never call it a novel.

message 10: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 123 comments Ouch. He discloses that he changed names right in the beginning. Novelization is a stretch.

message 11: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 13718 comments If Keyes novelized, so did Fournier. The stories are nearly identical, for pete's sake.

message 12: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 123 comments I'll finish Michigan Murders, but I think I'll pass on Terror. That's disappointing that it's basically the same.

message 13: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 13718 comments Terror in Ypsilanti: John Norman Collins Unmasked is not just a rehash, though. It tells you the story from a very different angle, with much more information about the victims and their families, and where Michigan Murders ends with the conviction, Fournier goes on to tell you what became of Collins afterwards. It's worth a look, but I wouldn't want to read it too close on the heels of Keyes's book. One I can recommend, though, back to back with Keyes, is Maggie Nelson's exploration of her aunt's murder: Jane: A Murder followed by The Red Parts. Be aware that the former title is a book-length poem, not a narrative.

message 14: by Shelley (last edited Nov 20, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Question: I read Terror in Ypsi. Is there any point in reading The Michigan Murders too? IE. Will I learn anything more about the case?

message 15: by Fishface (last edited Nov 20, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Fishface | 13718 comments Nothing new, but it is a different perspective on the same information. If anything, TERROR expands on MICHIGAN MURDERS, not the other way around.

message 16: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Great, thanks!

message 17: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 123 comments Great info! Thanks

message 18: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 13718 comments Negative perspiration!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.