What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Long shot Romance novel 90s heroine who doesn't know her father with a butterfly birthmark. She's a witness being hidden (or something similar where she is on the run or in hiding) [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lara (new)

Lara Rae (larakennedy) | 53 comments Not much more to say. It was 90s (or late 80s early 00s). The heroine doesn't know her father. But I think this older guy in the book actually ends up being her father. I think she doesn't know him because his government job is too dangerous so her mom chooses not to have him involved. She has a birthmark on her neck like a butterfly (because some little girl at a fair/carnival says something about wanting a butterfly "like the one on her neck"). The guy protecting her from whatever she witnessed or whatever reason she is hiding ends up being her HEA. It's a long shot but I figured I might as well ask. Thanks!

message 2: by Averin (new)

Averin | 6 comments Lara wrote: "Not much more to say. It was 90s (or late 80s early 00s). The heroine doesn't know her father. But I think this older guy in the book actually ends up being her father. I think she doesn't know him..."
Could it be Butterfly ?

message 3: by Lara (new)

Lara Rae (larakennedy) | 53 comments That's not it but thank you!

message 4: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments Through the Looking Glass by Joyce Mcgill ?

Her best friend was dead - killed in a tragic automobile explosion intended for her. And now time was running out for orphan Lisa Gillette, who was haunted by shadowy images of a childhood she couldn't remember. She had to piece together the puzzle of her life before the murderer struck again.

If you search through the book on the Google Books page (https://books.google.com/books?id=JkZ...) using the phrase "butterfly birthmark," there is a part where a child says she wants a butterfly, "like that lady has... on her neck."

Here is a picture of the cover on LibraryThing.
https://www.librarything.com/work/263...

description

message 5: by Lara (new)

Lara Rae (larakennedy) | 53 comments OMG! I never thought to search by that phrase. I just ordered the book and will post if it is right. Thank you so much! I tried Google books for plot searches but never a specific phrase like that. I just never thought of it. I feel like a bonehead. You are genius!

message 6: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments LOL! You're welcome :) Good job remembering that detail.

Please let us know if it is certainly the book.

message 7: by Lara (new)

Lara Rae (larakennedy) | 53 comments Seriously, how did you do that? I google and googled and googled. Are you magic? I looked it up in the book like you said, I honestly think this is the book. Can't wait to get it in the mail. I want to try your methods on my other 4 posts, if you have some kind of method. If not, I'll just say THANK YOU again. :-)

message 8: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments I searched for the phrase "butterfly birthmark neck," on books.Google.com

I then changed the search time period to 20th century. The option to set a time period is above the results. if you're on the mobile version of Google Books, click "search tools." The time period option will pop up below.

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36033 comments Mod
Thanks for the books.Google.com search tips, Tab!

On my desktop, I need to click "Search Tools" to see the advanced options like "Any Time [Date Range]".

I used to get too many results. Now I'll probably use this search engine more often.

message 10: by Lara (new)

Lara Rae (larakennedy) | 53 comments This is totally the book!!!! This have been SOLVED! Awesome! I ordered it off of Amazon and am reading it. I literally just read the part about the butterfly birthmark that has been stuck in my head for YEARS! You guys rock my socks off!!!!!

message 11: by Lara (new)

Lara Rae (larakennedy) | 53 comments Tab - I hope you see this! I just used your Google books search thing with the time period of 20th century and using a quote I thought I remembered from a book I read in middle school. I found it! Thank you so much!!!! (It was published in 1987. Woo hoo!)

message 12: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments Yay! Congrats on finding your book :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Butterfly (other topics)
Through the Looking Glass (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Joyce McGill (other topics)