What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Romance novel - 90's Single mom with 2 kids has friend rent room to a police officer on leave. Not Nora Roberts

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lara (new)

Lara Rae (larakennedy) | 53 comments I read this book in the 90's (although it could have been the late 80s or early 00s). It is a single mom with 2 kids (a boy and a girl). They are spunky kids. They "borrow" their mom's best friend's favorite high heels and cover them in glitter to make them even prettier. The mom talks to them about "borrowing" because it's stealing if you don't ask first. The best friend rents a room (maybe an attic room) to a guy who is actually on leave from the police force, I can't remember why. He's thinking of quitting for good. There is some part about these lost diamonds. The kids find them or something and GLUE them onto this flower pot to make it pretty. There is a thief after them that I think was released from prison. So there is a suspense element. I kind of wonder if it was a Harlequin or Silhouette because I read a ton of those. Thanks for any help@!!!!

message 2: by Lara (new)

Lara Rae (larakennedy) | 53 comments Bump

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36067 comments Mod
Please note the bump period for this large group is 30+ days -- or sooner if you remember more information.

message 4: by Lara (new)

Lara Rae (larakennedy) | 53 comments Yes, I originally posted on July 29, so I had put an alarm on my phone to remind me today to bump the post. Is it supposed to be longer than that? Thanks.

message 5: by Ruzza (new)

Ruzza | 302 comments Lara wrote: "Yes, I originally posted on July 29, so I had put an alarm on my phone to remind me today to bump the post. Is it supposed to be longer than that? Thanks."

I don't know were the post from Kris came from since it's clearly been 30 days since you posted and you followed the rules... Oh well... I tried looking for your book but nothing came up and on the harlequin site the oldest books that come up when I do any search are from 2005. I'll look some more. Good luck :)

message 6: by Kris (new)

Sorry, I miscounted on this particular thread of yours.

message 7: by Lara (new)

Lara Rae (larakennedy) | 53 comments No worries at all, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking rules. :-)

message 8: by Kris (new)

Why is a thief after them? No one's murdered?
(If there are spoilers, just give us a clear warning.)

message 9: by Lara (new)

Lara Rae (larakennedy) | 53 comments Spoilers in next post. :-)

message 10: by Lara (new)

Lara Rae (larakennedy) | 53 comments If I'm remembering correctly, the thief left diamonds that he had stolen. He hid them in this house and went to prison. He got out and was just trying to get his jewels back. But the kids had found them and ended up gluing them to a flower pot for their mom. So the thief was desperate. I'm pretty sure he pulls a gun towards the end but no one is hurt. I think the jewels end up being returned to the rightful owner and the mom gets a reward.

message 11: by Kris (new)

message 12: by Lara (new)

Lara Rae (larakennedy) | 53 comments No but thank you for looking!! I know she doesn't have a thief for a father. And he is a police officer or detective that is on leave from the force and he's thinking about quitting. Maybe because he shot someone? But that part is foggy so that might not be right.

message 13: by Anie_chan (new)

Anie_chan | 77 comments ... I know this book but I don't remember the title or author. Tried looking into my reading history and all, no go. Do have few details to add to it.

Sure:
-Heroine not comfortable with hero around her children initially.
-The children were curious about the hero and went through his things. Got caught red-handed by hero.
-The son later got close to hero because of sail boats.

Maybe:
-Hero on leave because he was burned out.
-Hero might be from Miami.
-The house/hostel belongs to heroine but heroine's best friend was the one who let hero rent the place.
-Heroine might be needing the money, which is why she let the hero continue renting.

message 14: by Kris (new)

Does the heroine own the house she and her kids are staying in? They're not on the run?

Where is the father of her kids?

Does she know the thief?

message 15: by Kris (new)

Suzanna's Surrender by Nora Roberts?

Worldcat.org search: Keywords (romance police single mother jewels), Non-Juvenile, Fiction, Book, English

message 16: by Lara (new)

Lara Rae (larakennedy) | 53 comments Anie - Yes!!! the house belongs to the heroine and she needs money. I know the heroine was asking her friend why the heck she rented to this guy but she needs money so let him stay. I think she owns the house, Kris.
I don't think it's Nora Roberts. That's who I though of (and when I search for the book it keeps bringing up the Hidden Treasure book by Nora Roberts and I know it's not that one.)
I do know that the lady and kids are not on the run. No idea about the father. They do not know the thief. I can't remember how he gets into the house. Thanks!

message 17: by Lara (new)

Lara Rae (larakennedy) | 53 comments Anyone recognize this? I am still holding out hope. :-)

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40226 comments Mod
Lara, are you still looking for this or did you find it?