The Bowie Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Upcoming reads > 10th reading - November 1st, 2016 - Nominations

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

The Reading Bibliophile | 564 comments Mod
Time to nominate a book you'd like to see make our poll for our November reading in order to enough time for everyone in this group to get their hands on a hard-copy.

##############################

Rules for submitting your nomination:

- Each member can nominate just one book.

- The book must fit in one of the following group bookshelves: 100 must read or Bowie references. Please go the group's bookshelf and make your pick.

- In case you think of a book to nominate that is not part of any of those two lists, you must explain why you are suggesting it. For example, if you saw Bowie mentioning it before, send the reference. If it is part of a Bowie song, name it...

- Keep in mind that our goal is not to read books about Bowie. Our goal is to read books that were admired by him as the avid reader he was.

On August 8th, we'll upload the list with the contestants for the November book. The list cannot have more than 10 books and less than 5. The terms for a book to make the list are:

1st - The ones mentioned more times.
2nd - In case there is a tie between nominees, the one to make the cut will be the one mentioned first.
3rd - In case we don't get the minimum nominations (5), the rest of the list will be completed with the books with more votes from the previous month.

The poll will remain open until August 15th. Once the voting ends, if there is a tie for the first place, a new poll will open from August 15th to the 20th to reach a final decision.

The nominations are now open and you can nominate a book up to August 7th :-)

message 2: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 183 comments Lady Chatterley's Lover. :)

Samanta wrote: "Lady Chatterley's Lover. :)"

Good choice :-)

message 4: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 183 comments I enjoyed that book when I first read it in high school?. I hope to like it still, if we ever pick it. :)

Samanta wrote: "I enjoyed that book when I first read it in high school?. I hope to like it still, if we ever pick it. :)"

We'll definitely pick it someday. We still have 7 years and 7 months for picking it, lol ;-)

message 6: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 183 comments Cynthia wrote: "Samanta wrote: "I enjoyed that book when I first read it in high school?. I hope to like it still, if we ever pick it. :)"

We'll definitely pick it someday. We still have 7 years and 7 months for ..."

Hahahahaha...Oh, God! :D :D

I'd nominate Darkness at Noon.

message 8: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 18 comments I nominate The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin.

The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin

Considering the present climate in the U.S. and some European countries, I think this would be a worthwhile book to read in November.

KOMET wrote: "I nominate The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin.

The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin

Considering the present climate in the U.S. and some European countries, I think..."

Thanks, KOMET. Indeed it would be appropriate to read this book in November...

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 30 comments I've been meaning to read Baldwin for a long time - good suggestion and yes, timely!

kitty wrote: "The Man Who Fell to Earth"

Great choice :-)

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Garland (jennygarland) | 37 comments I would like to nominate The Wonder Boys by Michael Chadbon simply because I haven't yet read anything by this author. I would be very happy to read Lady Chatterley's Lover as I'm a big fan of D H Lawrence too.

Jenny wrote: "I would like to nominate The Wonder Boys by Michael Chadbon simply because I haven't yet read anything by this author. I would be very happy to read Lady Chatterley's Lover as I'm a big fan of D H ..."

OK, Jenny, thanks! :-)

message 15: by Joéverson (new)

Joéverson (joeverson) | 32 comments Ladys...

Only a couple of days to go to nominate your book!

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (lifeisasnap) I nominate The man Who Fell To Earth, also.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.