World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Cover Follow Up. Help...?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Happy Friday!

You've almost survived the week. Have a star: ★

Okay, for reals, though. I need help on my cover. Opaque? Translucent? Which do you guys dig more?

Big, appreciative hugs,
Ann

P.S. - This is in SIA too, so you totes don't have to reply to both. Or either, for that matter hahahahaha!!

*sudden serious face*

But please do.

description

description

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16070 comments The upper one. Is it opaque or t/l?

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) I should've said solid or clear LOL

It's opaque. And thank you, Mr Nik! I keep leaning towards the translucent (bottom) one but I think most people will dig the top one.

Hugs,
Ann

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Cover two is aMAzing! The font on cover one looks Stephen King-ish/Tom Clancy-esque.

message 5: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Miss Tara: (و ˃̵ᴗ˂̵)و

I keep coming back to it as well. But most people dig one more. But I keep coming back to it as well. Oh, I already said that...

Thank you, ma'am!!

message 6: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments If these are the only two options we're allowed I'd pick cover 2. But honestly I like your current cover better than either of these...

message 7: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Eldon: Thank you!!

And yes, that is totally a "concern" of mine!!

(not really a concern cuz, I mean, 1st world problems, eh? hahaha!!)

In any case, I'm interested to see if it affects sales at all. Like Mr Nik has said: Great is the enemy of good. And you actually like the current one better soooo...

*plays with fire*

Hugs,
Ann

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments Definitely translucent for me.. @Annie

message 9: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) The man digs transparency ^_~

Thank you, Mr Tim!!

message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments Mon plaisir, Mademoiselle ***Bows***

message 11: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 291 comments I rather like both of these but I'd definitely go for the solid yellow text.

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Mike: Thank you kindly, good sir!

Hugs,
Ann

message 13: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2328 comments I have no preference. The solid one is easier to read the title, but the translucent one invokes a bit of feeling for me.

message 14: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr JJ: *GASP* Did you say feeling? Feeling??? *faints*

Thank you, sir.

Hugs,
Ann

message 15: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2328 comments Don't ask me what feeling it is, because I can't figure it out. All I can figure is where you have the naked girl on the cover, the translucent title adds a softness to the image that strengthens her nudity as something tender whereas with the solid text it comes across as more matter-of-fact. Maybe I should change my vote to "leans translucent."

message 16: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) *props Mr JJ up against translucent cover*

I'll take it ^_~

message 17: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Okie dokie. Just a few minor tweaks (that most ppl don't even notice haha!) and here's the final:

description

Thank you sooo much for the help, everyone!!

Big-squeezy-group-hugs,
Ann

message 18: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16070 comments Good luck and successful launch!

message 19: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments Excellent! I love it. Great cover. Very professional.

message 20: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments BTW, me strongly suspects our very own li'le Annie does book cover modelling as a sideline... ;)

message 21: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Misters Nik & Tim: Thank you, gentlemen!

I'll switch it on Friday. I might put it at 99cents for the day as well. Maybe, maybe not. So, in other words...umm...I'll do whatever the heck I feel like in the moment...? *smirks*

Appreciative hugs,
Ann

message 22: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments Tim wrote: "BTW, me strongly suspects our very own li'le Annie does book cover modelling as a sideline... ;)"

You might be onto something there Tim....the face is hidden ;)

message 23: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Silly boys: That's not me, gentlemen. However...

The original mockup I made WAS me with my eyeballs chopped off. I thought you couldn't tell. But...ummm...turns out people could totally tell *sigh*

Yeah, I scrapped that cover real quick hahahaha!!!

message 24: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16070 comments Not me either -:)

Self-modeling can be a very economic approach.
I've sacrificed my leg and banknotes for the group's cover photo

message 25: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Re: Self-modeling can be a very economic approach.

Riiiight???

At first, I thought, "Hey, this is free!" but then I thought, "Err, I don't want people getting the wrong impression..." *rips up cover in a jiffy* Okay, okay, I didn't rip up my laptop but ya know what I mean ^_~

Re: I've sacrificed my leg and banknotes for the group's cover photo

We thank you for your sacrifice. Take some appreciation: ♥♥♥

Hugs,
Ann

message 26: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Sooo I think Mr Nik might've been onto something with the whole "enemy of good is great" thought process.

This new cover is kinda affecting my sales. It's still selling consistently but definitely not as many copies a day. I'm gonna give it at least a week, though, cuz I don't wanna jump the gun here but...

In the meantime, would you guys chime in on which you prefer?

OLD: Hart Broken (Hart, #1) by Annie Arcane NEW: Hart Broken (Hart, #1) by Annie Arcane

@Mr Eldon: I know you dug the original more and your taste might be the popular consensus after all... *sigh*

Thanks, guys!!

Hugs,
Ann

message 27: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments Me?? The popular consensus?? Who knew?

message 28: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Don't go getting a big head now, Mr Eldon...

But, yeah (☉_☉)

Hmm. If it only affects sales *slightly* I might just suck it up, princess, and keep the new cover. Cuz I have matching ones for the rest of the series whipped up. If I go back to the original...

*sighs**goes back to the drawing board**single tear falls*

message 29: by Marie Silk (last edited Aug 10, 2016 03:56PM) (new)

Marie Silk | 1022 comments The left one looks more...um...girly. Like romance-y and possibly erotica. But it also looks like she's covering herself 'cause she doesn't want someone to look. Anxious? Self conscious?

The right one looks more business-y, like the girl is an accountant by day and then does her nightly contemplating in the buff. The pose is more casual than anxious, like the first one.

All that said, I'm more drawn to the one on the left and I think I like the pink colors more.

I just reread my post and realize that I'm no help at all, haha. Sorry :).

message 30: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Hahahahahaha, Miss Marie!! That is EXTREMELY helpful!! THANK YOUSSS!!!

(Caps for emphasis, not yelling. I mean, who could ever yell at you? Tell me. I'll kill em. *smiles sweetly*)

I swear, I dunno how I don't get neg reviews for my "false advertising" covers. I think both look like erotica and there's only one mildly explicit sex scene in the whole thing LMAO!!!

Does anyone else want me to do some reckless experimenting with my book? Cuz you know I will...

*plays with all sorts of fire*

Hugs Miss Marie,
Ann

message 31: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments I'm not a real believer that series covers need to be similar. As long as they all rock who cares if they look alike right? *Looks around nervously for support* lol

message 32: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Umm, I don't think readers care but my personal and highly obsessive nature does...

*looks around nervously knowing there's no support*

٩(๑•◡-๑)۶ⒽⓤⒼ❤

message 33: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments Well...the story is still the same right? If they liked it before they'll still like it now. Stick to your guns!! :)

message 34: by Marie Silk (last edited Aug 10, 2016 04:25PM) (new)

Marie Silk | 1022 comments I had a few minutes to spare, so here is the side-by-side you ordered :)

It won't let me give you the html code for it without hyperlinking. Boo. Maybe you can go into my post with your mod privileges and see the html?

message 35: by Annie (last edited Aug 10, 2016 04:27PM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) This is not the *cough* first time I've changed my cover *cough* Sooo...

I'm not worried about current readers. They're used to me changing my mind all the darn time *evil grin*

I'm worried about tanking my sales LMAO!! I honestly thought they'd just stay the same. But I do wonder if it's just coinciding with August, the Olympics, a random week, grasping at straws...

*crazy laugh*

EDIT: I love you, Miss Marie! I loooove you!!

*ahem*

Mods can't edit posts, only delete them. Which is good. Cuz you know how I love editing comments for comedic relief, eh?

*more crazy laughing*

message 36: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments Marie wrote: "I had a few minutes to spare, so here is the side-by-side you ordered :)

It won't let me give you the html code for it without hyperlinking. Boo."

I still have no clue how you guys do that!? *Shakes head in awe*

message 37: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Hahaha, Mr Eldon! Click on (some html is ok) and you'll see some options.

The html for embedding an image is in there, just not side-by-side. They end up one on top of the other.

message 38: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Hold up, poeple can seek help on their cover designs? Why am I only learning about this now???

Also, Annie, did you get your design all picked out and squared? I don't want to start posting anything and steal your thunder. :)

message 39: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1022 comments There's probably a better way to do it, but I saved Annie's covers to my laptop then uploaded them to tiny pic, copy/pasted the image html for goodreads (available in the parentheses above the text box that says some html is ok), then pasted the jpg address from tiny pic over the text between the quotations marks. Twice. So basically, I love Annie...

message 40: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments Yeah...cause that doesn't seem like gibberish to me at all....lol

message 41: by Annie (last edited Aug 10, 2016 04:38PM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Matthew wrote: "Hold up, poeple can seek help on their cover designs? Why am I only learning about this now???"

Umm, yeah. That's why I made this folder LMAO!! Just start your own thread, good sir, and we'll pop right on over. It's not that I don't want you posting in here. It's just that once this cover is over and done with, I'd like the thread to get buried, ya know? ^_~

@Mr Eldon: Pfft, how rude! And I understood EVERYTHING Miss Marie said!!

She loves me.

Duh.

@Miss Marie: ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙

Just for you.

message 42: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments LMAO Annie!!! I meant the instructions after clicking "some html is ok"

message 43: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Huh?? What craziness are you spewing, Mr Eldon?

Miss Marie wrote an entire post professing her undying love for me. Get your glasses checked! Seriously...

*eye roll*

(Now I don't want this thread to get buried LMAO!)

message 44: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1022 comments Eldon wrote: "Yeah...cause that doesn't seem like gibberish to me at all....lol"

This brought to you by the lady who can't format her own books :) *cries while continuing to throw money down the drain*

message 45: by Jane (last edited Aug 10, 2016 05:04PM) (new)

Jane Blythe Annie wrote: "Umm, I don't think readers care but my personal and highly obsessive nature does...

*looks around nervously knowing there's no support*/i>

I will totally support you on that, I have OCD and my series MUST have covers that match, there is no other option!

On your covers, I don't really like naked people on covers (too prudish I guess!) but between your two I definitely prefer the first although I don't love the font for the title

(¯`v´¯)
`·.¸.·´ ?

¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)

(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸

message 46: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) *scours the sewers for Miss Marie's money*

Cuz that's what you do for love.

(You know when you take things too far but just can't stop yourself? No? Oh. How awkward.)

@Miss Marie: If it makes you feel better, I totally uploaded a source file that was formatted soooo poorly! Like, all this weird spacing between random words and shizz...

*keeps playing with fire*

message 47: by Annie (last edited Aug 10, 2016 05:04PM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Miss Jane: Thank you sooo much for the OCD support and the feedback! As the heart balloon...

(¯`v´¯)
`·.¸.·´ ?

¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)

(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸

This little bit of awesome is getting added to my list of fave emoticons. Oh, yes, it is!!

Hugssss,
Ann

message 48: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Annie wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Hold up, poeple can seek help on their cover designs? Why am I only learning about this now???"

Umm, yeah. That's why I made this folder LMAO!! Just start your own thread, good sir..."

See, new thread, that was exactly what I was wondering. And... I learned something :)

message 49: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16070 comments We probably need to open an emoji art folder somewhere in foreign languages section -:)
Like the old one better - more special, rebellious, the newer is more classy

message 50: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Nik: You and Awesome Alex just need to get with the times, eh? ^_~

I like rebellious. Classy is meh. Hmm...

UPDATE: Sold a decent number of copies today already. Heh. Maybe rebels buy more stuff beginning of week and classy folk buy more stuff end of week. Like, they're practicing self-restraint or something ROFLMAO!!!

« previous 1