All About Books discussion

Upcoming Monthly Reads > August 2016 - What will you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gill (last edited Jul 29, 2016 07:12AM) (new)

Gill | 5720 comments What books are you hoping to read in August? Share your plans here.

message 2: by Myst (last edited Aug 25, 2016 09:29AM) (new)

message 3: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I do have some plans, but I don't know if I'll stick to them. Anyway, I'd like to read:

The Light Fantastic
The Cuckoo's Calling
A Storm of Swords
Treasure Hunt
Angelica's Smile

As you see, they are all light reads, but that's exactly what I need for the coming month. I've been working like crazy for the past two months and I need something relaxing.

message 4: by Chrissie (last edited Aug 31, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Chrissie First I have to finish off the books I didn't have time for last month:
1.The Silver Dark Sea 4 stars
2.The Architect's Apprentice 4 stars read
3.Thunder At Twilight: Vienna 1913/1914 2 stars

Then I will continue with :
4. The Dust That Falls from Dreams 3 stars read
5.The Return: Fathers, Sons, and the Land in Between 4 stars
6. Charles Dickens 4 stars read
7. The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman 1 star read
8. The Sound and the Fury 3 stars read
9.The Great Fortune and the rest of the series if I like this. Started, but completed in September!
10. Under the Sea Wind 4 stars read

ETA:
11. My Family and Other Animals 4 stars read
(Offered as a daily deal at Audible.uk on Aug 11th.

Books 3, 5, 6, 10 and 11 are non-fiction.

message 6: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) My tentative plan for August:-

Antigone by Jean Anouilh (I've ordered from the library both the French and the English versions)
The Confessions of Catherine de Medici by C.W. Gortner
In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant

message 7: by Pink (last edited Sep 01, 2016 02:54AM) (new)

Pink I have small plans for August -

The Mysteries of Udolpho 3 stars
The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World (AAB Nature theme) 3 stars
The Odyssey (other classics group read) 5 stars
The Golden Notebook (buddy read) still reading into September...

Anything else will be a spur of the moment decision.

message 8: by Guy (last edited Aug 28, 2016 08:04PM) (new)

Guy Austin | 267 comments My August is for reading off my actual shelf and not doing too much else.

Personal Challenge; 1966
In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cashby Jean Shepherd
A Place on Earth by Wendell Berry

Off My TBR sitting too long:
Confessions by Augustine of Hippo
The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

A new Release:
My Name Is Leon by Kit de Waal

Translation on Bingo Challenge - A Non-Fiction:
Secondhand Time: The Last of the Soviets bySvetlana Alexievich

Something to Read with My Daughter:
Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate

Group Read if have Time:
The Humans by Matt Haig

message 9: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Pink wrote: "I have small plans for August -

The Mysteries of Udolpho (to continue)
The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World (AAB Nature theme)
[book:The Odyssey..."

Small plans, the Odyssey?!

message 10: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7688 comments Mod
Guy wrote: "My August is for reading off my actual shelf and not doing too much else.

Personal Challenge; 1966

Off My TBR sitt..."

Guy wrote: "My August is for reading off my actual shelf and not doing too much else.

Personal Challenge; 1966

Off My TBR sitt..."

Some good ones Guy! I hadn't heard of that one by Shepherd before, but it looks fun. Curious to hear what you think of Confessions - I have a copy of that around somewhere in my house waiting to be read.

message 11: by Guy (new)

Guy Austin | 267 comments Greg wrote: "Guy wrote: "My August is for reading off my actual shelf and not doing too much else.

Personal Challenge; 1966

Off..."

Greg, If you have seen or heard of the movie the "A Christmas Story" - a favorite of mine - you know the book. Jean Shepherd actually is the narrator in the movie. I have about 12 books that were published in my birth year as a challenge - This was one of them. I think it will be a fun read. I love the movie.

message 12: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7688 comments Mod
Guy wrote: "Greg wrote: "Guy wrote: "My August is for reading off my actual shelf and not doing too much else.

Personal Challenge; 1966
In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cashby [author:Jean Shephe..."

Ah, of course!! I hadn't put the book & movie together - yes, the movie is great, hilarious!

message 13: by Pink (new)

Pink Haha Gill, well at least the total number of books is a small :)

message 14: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) Pink wrote: "Haha Gill, well at least the total number of books is a small :)"

Pink & Gill, I found Odyssey to be a much easier read than I had imagined. I hope you'll enjoy it, Pink.

message 15: by Leslie (last edited Aug 28, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Here is what I hope to read in August but as always, plans are subject to change!

A Thousand Acres
Selected Poems of Gabriela Mistral
The Lion and the Jewel

Smallbone Deceased
Disgrace
The Invisible Man

Some other possibilities:
The Shrimp and the Anemone
The Great Impersonation
The African Queen

And rereadiing The Odyssey is tempting!

message 16: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 352 comments Wow - The Odyssey as a re-read says a lot, I have yet (if ever?) to get to the first go round.
August reading plans:

Two If by Sea
A Man Called Ove
Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood
Lake Wobegone Days
Beautiful Ruins

message 17: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 1321 comments I make plans but they never seem to work out!

I will finish Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Catch-up on:
And the Mountains Echoed
Horus Rising
The Murder on the Links

Get a head start on:
Burial Rites

In the unlikely event of me having spare time:
Lightless
Life After Life

message 18: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Colleen wrote: "Wow - The Odyssey as a re-read says a lot, I have yet (if ever?) to get to the first go round.
August reading plans:

Two If by Sea
A Man Called Ove
[book:Forever in..."

Lake Wobegone Days is a book I liked a lot, Colleen. Hope you do also!

message 19: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Right, now that I've seen Greg's list, how could I forget that I'm also planning to read The Invisible Man?

message 20: by Chrissie (last edited Jul 30, 2016 12:42AM) (new)

Chrissie Esther wrote: "I make plans but they never seem to work out!

I will finish Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Catch-up on:
And the Mountains Echoed
Horus Rising
[book:The M..."

Burial Rites was a five start book for me. I find it hard to believe that an Australian so perfectly captures the Scandinavian mood. Dark, but fantastic.

message 21: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7688 comments Mod
Marina wrote: "Right, now that I've seen Greg's list, how could I forget that I'm also planning to read The Invisible Man?"

:)

message 22: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments My reading has slowed down a bit, but I am aiming to read

The Forgotten Garden
A Thousand Acres
The Sunrise

But we'll see how it goes!!

message 23: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 1410 comments So many wonderful books planned!

Shirley, The Forgotten Garden got me hooked on Kate Morton
Esther, I loved Burial Rites so much I bought another copy for a friend - she loved it too
Colleen, Lake Woebegone Days, perfect summer read
Guy, I hope your copy of The Screwtape Letters has the illustrations!

message 24: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 1410 comments My plans for August are Baggage, A Long Way Down, If Wishes Were Horses, Lake News and Freedom and Necessity, all of which are part of my books I own challenge.
If time permits, I will also read 101 Letters to a Prime Minister: The Complete Letters to Stephen Harper, letters Yann Martel wrote about book recommendations, and mailed to the PM every other week, with the recommended book, for 4 years.

message 25: by Dhanaraj (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments I will continue with The Betrothed. And when I complete it I may read Yoko Ogawa's Hotel Iris.

message 26: by Cathie (last edited Aug 10, 2016 05:55PM) (new)

message 27: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Evelyn wrote: "So many wonderful books planned!

Esther, I loved Burial Rites so much I bought another copy for a friend - she loved it too
Colleen, Lake..."

Yes, enjoying it, very much, Evelyn!

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition | 572 comments Shirley wrote: "My reading has slowed down a bit, but I am aiming to read

The Forgotten Garden
A Thousand Acres
The Sunrise

But we'll see how it goes!!"

Hi Shirley, I am reading A Thousand Acres and The Forgotten Garden as well - in fact, I thought I would get a head start last week and started A Thousand Acres and got so involved with it, I finished on Sunday night, July 31st! It is an awesome book, the storyline is not that unusual, but it really stands out from others of the same genre of families and farmlife.

message 29: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Terry wrote: "Shirley wrote: "My reading has slowed down a bit, but I am aiming to read

The Forgotten Garden
A Thousand Acres
The Sunrise

But we'll see how it goes!!..."

That sounds great, Terry! I am now well into The Forgotten Garden and really enjoying it, so am now looking forward to A Thousand Acres too!

message 30: by Alice (last edited Aug 02, 2016 09:18AM) (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) Evelyn wrote: "letters Yann Martel wrote about book recommendations, and mailed to the PM every other week, with the recommended book, for 4 years."

Martel sounds like one inspirational character!

message 31: by Guy (new)

Guy Austin | 267 comments Colleen wrote: "Wow - The Odyssey as a re-read says a lot, I have yet (if ever?) to get to the first go round.
August reading plans:

Two If by Sea
A Man Called Ove
[book:Forever in..."

would love to know how Lake Woebegone days is...

message 32: by Guy (new)

Guy Austin | 267 comments Cathie wrote: "Plans for August thus far:

finish Breakfast of Champions
New Grub Street
Far from the Madding Crowd"

Breakfast of Champions was a favorite of mine when I read it years back.

message 33: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 1321 comments So I have just mucked up all my plans by ordering the new Harry Potter which I will read as soon as it arrives.

message 34: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Cathie wrote: "Plans for August thus far:

finish Breakfast of Champions
New Grub Street
Far from the Madding Crowd"

A great selection Cathie!

message 35: by Guy (new)

Guy Austin | 267 comments Evelyn wrote: "So many wonderful books planned!

Colleen, Lake..."

Evelyn - I just got your note regarding Screw tape Letters - Funny - I was thinking Illustrations? I'll have to check... ;)

message 36: by Pink (last edited Sep 01, 2016 02:55AM) (new)

Pink Less than a week left of August and I still have a few books that I'd like to get through -

Daphnis and Chloe which I've just started and shouldn't take long 4 stars
Romeo and Juliet likewise should be quick, but I want to watch another adaptation first
The Golden Notebook which I still haven't started and probably won't have time for until next month I've started! Love it, will continue in September.

I really haven't been reading much at all this month, I think it's a combination of the heat, watching the Olympics and not being able to settle into hardly anything that I pick up. I hope everyone else is getting along better.

message 37: by Pink (new)

Pink Dhanaraj wrote: "I will continue with The Betrothed. And when I complete it I may read Yoko Ogawa's Hotel Iris."

My son just bought me The Betrothed for my birthday. I'd never heard of it, but it's a lovely edition, although it looks rather long. I hope it's good.

message 38: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Pink wrote: "My son just bought me The Betrothed for my birthday. I'd never heard of it, but it's a lovely edition, although it looks rather long. I hope it's good."

It's an Italian classic and during highschool it's a mandatory book. I hope you will like it.

message 39: by Pink (last edited Aug 26, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Pink Thanks dely, I hope so too. I don't plan to start it yet, but it does look very interesting, I just need some more time to devote to it.

message 40: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Pink wrote: "Thanks dely, I hope so too. I don't plan to start it yet, but it does look very interesting, I just need some more time to devote to it."

Yes, it's a demanding book, there's a lot inside. We usually study it during a whole school year so take your time.

message 41: by Dhanaraj (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments @Pink: THE BETROTHED is a lovely feel-good story. Recently read and loved it.

message 42: by Pink (new)

Pink Dhanaraj wrote: "@Pink: THE BETROTHED is a lovely feel-good story. Recently read and loved it."

That's good to hear, thanks :)

message 43: by Chrissie (last edited Aug 27, 2016 09:09PM) (new)

Chrissie Pink, I am still working on my August books too. I think there will be two The Great Fortune and The Dust That Falls from Dreams which I will have to read next month! I am quite pleased with this. The Great Fortune is the first of the Balkan Trilogy and tI want to read with the other two of the trilogy if I find I like it.

So you have been diverted by the Olympics huh!?

message 44: by Pink (new)

Pink Chrissie, yes I spent 2 weeks watching all the Olympic events whenever I had a chance, so done little reading during that time, but I loved it!

message 45: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie What is important its that you are enjoying yourself, Pink.

Pink, I just have to ask you. I saw you gave Silent Spring only three stars. Did you react to her lyrical writing? If it is the other elements that dissuades you from more stars, I think you should still consider Under the Sea Wind. There you get the lyrical in nature writing.

message 46: by Pink (new)

Pink Chrissie, you're right that I liked the writing in Silent Spring, but there were other elements holding me back from rating it higher. I'll take a look at Under the Sea Wind and see what else my library has by her, thanks.

message 47: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Pink, you are welcome.