Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > September Contemporary Novel Discussion Topic Selection Complete

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the place to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our September group read and discussion (beginning September 21.) A contemporary novel would typically have been first published in the 21st century.

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. Note that if your nomination is selected by the group, we'll be expecting you to take the lead in the discussion.

We read two different SF/F novels and one short SF/F work each month: One is a "Contemporary" SF/F novel, which was written after 2000; that discussion starts on the 21st of each month. One is a "Classic" SF/F novel which was written before 2000; that discussion starts on the 1st of each month. We also read one or more short stories each month; that discussion starts the 11th of each month. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F Novel discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that these are nominations for our September discussion topic. Promise of Blood has already been selected as our August Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Friday, August 5, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Kite | 57 comments Can you nominate your own book?

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2270 comments I'll nominate Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon. A young lady is a merchant ship captain in space.

Susan, I don't think it's allowed & is generally considered bad form.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Susan wrote: "Can you nominate your own book?"

No.

message 5: by A.R.K. (new)

A.R.K. Watson | 3 comments Pink Noise by Leonid Korogodski
very hard sf wrapped around a classic rescue of a princess of Mars- also a South African posthuman doctor with deep native african spiritual imagery.

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen St. Onge | 117 comments         Elizabeth Moon's The Speed of Dark I remember as very good.

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2764 comments What about Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K Rowling? Though that's considered #8 in the series I'm guessing by now anyone interested in that series has already read the rest, and can't get any more contemporary as it just came out a couple days ago.

Let me know if young adult fantasy is acceptable, I don't see many on the read list so not sure if this is appropriate.

message 8: by Jade (last edited Jul 31, 2016 11:18AM) (new)

Jade F. (goodreadscomjadeforbidden) | 8 comments I have three proposals (first two for the contemporary reading, last for the classic):

1. Red Rising a science fiction novel by American author Pierce Brown, the first of a trilogy. The sequel, Golden Son, was released in January 2015 and the third novel, Morning Star, was released in February 2016.

Set on Mars, the novel follows lowborn miner Darrow as he infiltrates the ranks of the elite Golds. Sounded really cool, they will even make a movie of it, rights being acquired by Universal pictures in 2014 when the novel made its debut.

2. Seveneves, novel by Neal Stephenson, published in 2015. The story tells of the efforts to preserve human society in the wake of apocalyptic events on Earth, following the disintegration of the Moon.

3. Neuromancer, a 1984 novel by William Gibson, a seminal work in the cyberpunk genre and the first winner of the science-fiction "triple crown"—the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award, and the Hugo Award.
It was Gibson's debut novel and the beginning of the Sprawl trilogy. The novel tells the story of a washed-up computer hacker hired by a mysterious employer to pull off the ultimate hack.

I hope you'll find them intriguing choices: I really want to read them and it would be great if it was in group reading.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Jade wrote: "I have three proposals (first two for the contemporary reading, last for the classic): ..."

Jade – It's fine to propose multiple ideas, but I'll ask you to pick just one before nominations close Friday. In the meantime, it's fine to throw out multiple titles to see if anyone else wants to voice support for one over the other. Sometimes helps to form a consensus.

I can cross one off your list, though, at least as far as a nomination: we discussed Red Rising one year ago. (When you do read it, I invite you to add your comments there and give the discussion a reboot.)

message 10: by Jade (new)

Jade F. (goodreadscomjadeforbidden) | 8 comments G33z3r wrote: "Jade wrote: "I have three proposals (first two for the contemporary reading, last for the classic): ..."

Jade – It's fine to propose multiple ideas, but I'll ask you to pick just one before nomina..."

Sure, thanks for the head up :)
Well, I guess only one of my "old" choices qualifies for the draw; I'll see tonight if I find another epic book to propose... they are so many!

message 11: by Jade (last edited Aug 01, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Jade F. (goodreadscomjadeforbidden) | 8 comments OK, after carefull research I settle on this one.

The Day After Never, the world has ended but the adventure has just begun. It's part survivalist fiction, part techno-thriller, part western - and much more. Apparently, sets a "new standard" for post-apocalyptic fiction.

(I still like the idea of Seveneves) :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Reminder Reminder: Today is the final day to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our September group read and discussion.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Thank you for the nominations. A poll to select our Contemporary Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion topic for September (starting September 21) is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice. Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that work.

Note that these are nominations for our September discussion topic. Promise of Blood has already been selected as our August Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Firday, August 12.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Reminder: For those who are interested in discussing one of the above nominees with the group, today (Friday) is the final day to vote for one of our Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our September group read and discussion.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner

Our selected Contemporary Fantasy Novel discussion topic for September is...

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling

The discussion will begin September 21.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.