Future Survivors, the Apocalypse Group discussion

Journal of the Living: Life After the Zombie Apocalypse
This topic is about Journal of the Living
Author Giveaways > Reviews requested for zombie apocalypse novel

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (last edited Jul 31, 2016 04:37PM) (new) - added it

John (crimewriterjm) | 3 comments Hi, there!

It’s hard for the characters in my novel to survive after the zombie apocalypse strikes Britain – but not as hard as it is finding reviewers. That’s why I’m seeking reviews for my novel – Journal of the Living – a zombie apocalypse tale set in a Britain devastated by a zombie plague.

Ben Smith is a survivor of the zombie apocalypse. He used to work in the City as a banker – but now he leads a small group of people trying to survive in a Britain plagued by zombies and dangerous vigilante groups. While struggling to stay alive, Ben writes a series of journal entries, telling his action-packed story of life after the zombie apocalypse.

My novel contains violence and gore – but doesn’t contain swearing or R-rated material. (Think Walking Dead, not Hostel.)

I can provide review copies in mobi or PDF format – just PM me with an email address and the format you’d prefer. (Please don't post your email address in public unless you like spam.)

Thank you!

message 2: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Bird | 18 comments Dear John,
Thank you for sending me a free mobi copy of your book for review in exchange for an Amazon review. I did read part of the book. However, I want to ask you before I keep my promise to post a review of the book. It would not be good. The story might actually be a good one. However, I am not a fan of journal style stories. They are more difficult to write than 3rd person novels or even entirely 1st person novels. A journal is not a true first person novel. For one, this venue you have chosen for your character Ben makes it even more difficult. It is a Blog, that he writes when he has brief moments to make entries. True, done right, this could be suspenseful. It isn't. One factor I had great issue with was with the believeability of Ben's blog recountings. There are large blocks of dialogue from another person that Ben seems to have the amazing ability to remember verbatim. Perhaps, if he were a reporter, who either has to develop this or has a talent for memory of it, Ben is a banker and doesn't fit the bill. This does not occur with just one person, but one person after the next. I just don't buy it. It does not read like a blogger or even someone journaling. My suggestion for improving the believability of your book and also be free to write a 3rd person style account of the action is to include parts of Ben's immanent, spare-moment blogging (date it or indicate that you are switching to his blog and tell the rest of the story in 3rd person. I realize this would take a great amount of rewriting for the book, but as it is, it is not executed well as far as Ben's writing all coming from his blog. I guess you have some reason for doing so, but I also think it is a mistake to omit swearing, especially in such a high tension story as a z-apocalypse. Also Ben is a shallow womanizer, after all. He's been around. You don't have to overdo it, but that no one swears is not believable. It's natural. I hope you are not offended or disappointed by my comments, but here they are for what they are worth. Thank you again.

message 3: by John (new) - added it

John (crimewriterjm) | 3 comments Thanks for letting me know what you think, Wendy. I'm sorry my book wasn't right for you. Thank you for your suggestions about how to improve my story. I would appreciate you not posting a negative review.

Thank you

message 4: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Bird | 18 comments I won't post a review, as you wanted. I wanted to ask you first because it didn't seem to me to be useful to a reader, since it's more about execution than content. Am ambitious project. Best of luck.

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna (donanicole) | 108 comments Wendy, I didn't offer to read for review because I also do no like this form of story telling.

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Bird | 18 comments Well, I think it is effective for some storylines. I think it's quite difficult to be successful with this genre. :) At the time I offered, I did not know the form.

message 7: by John (new) - added it

John (crimewriterjm) | 3 comments Here’s a little bit more about my novel.

Journal of the Living is a first-person narrative, told from the point of view of Ben Smith. He was a banker, but he’s all right now. He was a selfish man before the zombie apocalypse, but it forced him to change for the better. He wants to be a hero, protecting his new family, consisting of a group of survivors Ben met in the post-apocalyptic wasteland outside of London. Ben uses a laptop to write down his story as it is happening, when he’s not battling for his life against zombies, gangs and a sinister paramilitary organisation.

Review copies of my novel are still available in mobi or PDF format.