Online Book Club discussion

The Girl on the Train > Girl on the Train Discussion Questions

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 1 comments Mod
1. We all do it—actively watch life around us. In this way, with her own voyeuristic curiosity, Rachel Watson is not so unusual. What do you think accounts for this nosey, all-too-human impulse? Is it more extreme in Rachel than in the average person? What is so different about her?

2. How would you have reacted if you’d seen what Rachel did from her train window—a pile of clothes—just before the rumored disappearance of Megan Hipwell? What might you or she have done differently?

3. In both Rachel Watson’s and Megan Hipwell’s marriages, deep secrets are kept from the husbands. Are these marriages unusual or even extreme in this way? Consider how many relationships rely on half-truths? Is it ever necessary or justifiable to lie to someone you love? How much is too much to hide from a partner?

4. What about the lies the characters tell to themselves? In what ways is Rachel lying to herself? Do all people tell themselves lies to some degree in order to move on with their lives? Is what Rachel (or any of the other characters) is doing any different from that? How do her lies ultimately affect her and the people around her?

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina Lewis (goodreadscomtina_lewis) | 3 comments Ashley wrote: "1. We all do it—actively watch life around us. In this way, with her own voyeuristic curiosity, Rachel Watson is not so unusual. What do you think accounts for this nosey, all-too-human impulse? Is..."

I think that she was so miserable that she would people watch to have something to see. She didn't have a social life, so she watched others.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Snay | 2 comments 1. I definitely do it too! I'm constantly making up stories for people i see. I find that I do it more when I'm bored. For her, she definitely has the down time since she's taking a train back and forth just for show. She's also depressed and it's a form of escapism. The fact that she's imagining a happy couple in a house on her street much like her's helps ease the pain of losing her relationship.

message 4: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 2 comments Mod
4. I feel like Rachel was pretty good about actually being honest with herself. She always knew her drinking was a problem. She always was aware what she was doing was odd. But she definitely messed up a lot of things by lying to others. She could have seriously muddled up the police investigation by lying to them. She messed with people's emotions by lying (Scott, Cathy, etc.).

Tom, though... I don't even know what to say about his lies lol