Play Book Tag discussion

The Crown (Joanna Stafford, #1)
This topic is about The Crown
Archive: Other Books > The Crown, by Nancy Bilyeau - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments This was a highly rated debut novel from a couple years back. It has been on my TBR since then and I'm happy that I finally got around to reading it. While I love historical ficton, the Tudor period is not my favorite period. However, this story, while being set in the Tudor time period, touches on other aspects of English history. The story centers on Joanna, a Dominican novice, who is black-mailed and forced to spy within her order to try to find an ancient crown that belonged to the saxon king who united all of England in the 10th century.

I really enjoyed the story and the characters. There were definitely some twists and turns that I didn't see coming. I can always tell if the story is good, if I find myself looking up some of the people to get the real history. The books seems to have been well researched and gave a glimpse into the lives of nuns back in the 16th century. Even though I had the kindle book, I got a copy of the audio from the library so I could switch back and forth between the two formats. The narration was excellent!

message 2: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2305 comments I've spent hours over the last week trying to organize my virtual library and found this book. I can't remember when I got it, but your review makes me want to move it higher on my TBR. It looks like something I would definitely enjoy.