Play Book Tag discussion

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
This topic is about Guns, Germs, and Steel
Archive: Other Books > Guns, Germs, and Steel/Jared Diamond - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments PBT NF 100

Hum.....I thought I had written a review for this, but it seems to have gone out into cyberspace :D

This was one of the first non-fiction books that I noticed seemed to be everywhere way back when it was first published. I FINALLY got around to reading/listening to it. I actually have the book but decided to see if it was on audio at the library since that seems to be my medium of chose for non-fiction. Since I'm probably the last person to have read this, I will say simply, this is the history of the development of civilization. Diamond looks at why significant leaps forward in "progress" occurred in certain areas, but were much slower to develop in other areas of the world.

While I found the concepts pretty fascinating, I did find the book a bit dry at times. Certainly listening to it added to the "zone out factor", but I think that I hit across some of the highlights including geography played a huge part as well as circumstances. I found it interesting how once a societies got large enough that people weren't related and didn't in fact know everyone, they had to develop "leaders" to bring some order and justice. When they are small, they can self-police because familial ties would bring out what was best of the community without resorting to someone holding the power.

All in all, I would recommend the book as it is full of interesting observations but it is a bit dry in certain parts. Perhaps a first read through selection certain areas to concentrate on based on your own areas of interest.

message 2: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments JoLene wrote: "PBT NF 100

Hum.....I thought I had written a review for this, but it seems to have gone out into cyberspace :D

This was one of the first non-fiction books that I noticed seemed to be everywhere w..."

You are not the last person to have read it as I have been toying with the idea since it came out. It is a fascinating concept and one of the 6 I planned to read for the PBT challenge. I appreciate the review. I'll definitely get the paper copy so I can skim the dry parts.

message 3: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5130 comments I tried reading this years ago, but like you kept "zoning out" and finally gave up on it.