Play Book Tag discussion

The Kitchen Counter Cooking School: How a Few Simple Lessons Transformed Nine Culinary Novices into Fearless Home Cooks
July 2016: Biography Memoir > The Kitchen Counter Cooking School/Kathleen Flinn 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Kathleen Flinn was inspired by a random encounter with a grocery shopper to conduct an experiment, where she selected 9 people who were self professed horrible cooks to see if she could turn them into home cooks. Flinn started with a home visit to check out pantry/fridges and a meal (students choice) and then they attended the lessons and she finished with the same home visit.

The book was laid out according to the lesson plans, taking the students from learning basic knife skills to tastings of various ingredients to parts of cow and just about everything in between. Each chapter also included a recipe related to the topics (there were also a couple at the end). Along the way, Flinn discussed some of the "hot topics" related to the industrialized farming/processed food industry. It's no surprise that Flinn believes the move away from home-cooked meals has a direct co-relation with some of the health issues we have in this country today.

As someone who has cancer, I have done a lot of research into nutrition. I share many of the same beliefs as the author. My husband and I basically have taught ourselves how to cook and now make most of our meals at home. This book was a great refresher that about getting back to the basics. It was well laid out and definitely written with the idea that anyone can learn to do some basic recipes that are healthier and most often cheaper than eating out.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments Sounds cool. I am a mostly self-taught cook from the food network many years ago (when it was mostly actual cooking shows). My mom cooked but did a lot of the "cream of mushroom soup" casseroles. I agree, I think we need to go back to more simpler foods with fewer ingredients.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I agree -- I think that the food network is good and bad. In some ways, I think watching it makes you think that you have to have fancy ingredients etc to make good food, but a simple omlette is sometimes all you need.