CanadianContent discussion

Sharing a Love of Reading > Sharing a Love of Reading - general comments

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3562 comments Mod
Inspired by Louise's volunteering at a women's prison to assist with the book club and other opportunities that she shared relating to inspiring reading for inmates, I am starting a new thread to share opportunities and what we all do to inspire others to read!

Other than my LFL which shares books with my community I volunteer for the Dolly Parton Imagination Library in my community. This is an amazing program where local community partners join with the DPIL organization to provide free books to be delivered each month to children aged 0-5. Dolly Parton grew up very poor and the family treasured their bible. She is tireless in supporting children to read and I am proud to be on this committee and to work with the chair editing proposals and documents.

I have a cousin who used to read books for the CNIB so that sight impaired individuals could enjoy novels and have this in mind for the future when I have more free time.

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 357 comments This isn't a personal experience, but I remember when the Harry Potter craze really went viral, by about the third book or when the first movie was about to come out. I had a friend who was a bit older than me at the time (and I was in my 40s) and he was very pooh-pooh about the whole thing. He thought that kids would read the books and then go back to their video games and films and why was it such a big deal anyway? I pointed out that Harry Potter has at least brought kids back to reading and chances are some of them would discover they love it and continue reading. What difference did it make if they were interested enough after seeing the movie to read the book, they were *reading* and as they got older they might stick with it. He saw my point.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1642 comments This is a great thread idea. You folks are always inspiring me to do more.

message 4: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments @Susan, that is truly amazing!!

I have avid readers among my colleagues & friends. In our office, there is a shelf in the kitchen that people donate their books and magazines for others to read. There are also many lunch conversations around the topics of books.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments Right now I'm working full time with a 1.5 year old, I'm not getting a lot of time to anything extra. However, I am instilling a love of reading into my son and we read a ton of books every day. I'm working on my husband (it's a slow process!). But it makes me realise how important early reading is. He was never encouraged to read as a child and now its hard for him to sit and read. Whereas I love to read and my mom made sure to read to me and my siblings every night.
Small steps change the world. :)

I'm also going to be emailing the Bookclub for Inmate people about volunteer opportunities.

message 6: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "I volunteer for the Dolly Parton Imagination Library in my community. This is an amazing program where local community partners join with the DPIL organization to provide free books to be delivered each month to children aged 0-5."

What a fabulous program. I had not heard of it. Thanks for sharing.

message 7: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments the most enjoyable part of working in bookstores, even more than intimate contact with the books, was introducing people to books and authors that they had never met.
I do this now too of course, and I am the volunteer librarian at the seniors centre.
then there is my own collection, almost all out now. and here of course!

message 8: by ❀ Susan (last edited Jul 29, 2016 02:44PM) (new)

So great to read all the fun things we are doing to share a love of reading!!

In case anyone is interested in Dolly's Imagination Library (or has kids in the areas supported and wants to register), here is a link to the Canadian Page! http://ca.imaginationlibrary.com

message 9: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 5 comments @Susan-I had not heard of the Dolly's Imagination Library. I checked out the link and it sounds very interesting. I would love to find out more - there's doesn't seem to be any in my area of Ontario (Guelph/Kitchener-Waterloo/Cambridge) - perhaps I should investigate "starting a program". Thank you so much for the information and if you have any words of wisdom for me - please share!

message 10: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Ellen - it is a great program and the chair of the committee is the Canadian representative. I am happy to link you with her if you would like to private message me your contact information. She is tasked with spreading the program in Canada. In Brantford the Imagination Library is partnered with Kids Can Fly.

message 11: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1919 comments For what it's worth, I am a huge Dolly Parton fan! My sister and I are taking my daughter and my niece to see her in Toronto in September!

I knew about this program, but there isn't one in my area either. I wonder how libraries feel about it -- is there a "territorial overlap?" My local library seems fiercely protective over their programming...

message 12: by ❀ Susan (new)

I will be there too! The committee is going. We will be on the lawn.

Too bad libraries feel this way. I think the program starts a love of reading that can only help libraries! It is a 0-5 program and only one book a month. I wish it had been around when my children were younger!

message 13: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1919 comments We will be on the lawn too, Susan! I'll send you my # before the concert and we can meet up quickly in person if you want to! Fun!

message 14: by ❀ Susan (new)

That would be awesome!!!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ I volunteer at an op (charity) shop & my job is to sort & value the books. I also spend quite a bit of time trying to "rehome" unsellable books. I want to do anything rather than put a book in the recycling. As an example, some books by a once famous NZ author have turned up. When they don't sell I donate to our local high school as this woman taught there, nearly 100 years ago.

message 16: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Megan - those times reading are so special and you are instilling a love of reading with your own child which is key! I miss the days when my children still looked forward to bedtime stories - now even my youngest wants to read independently!

@Louise - you have inspired me to read The Prison Book Club (so much for Come, Thou Tortoise which i have put aside AGAIN) and to volunteer to help with reading lists for book clubs for inmates. What a fabulous program to share a love of reading so that inmates can discuss books and consider their own stories!

@Magdelayne - what a great initiative - I bet the seniors appreciate that!

@Carol - sounds like a great job to find homes for books! I bet you have trouble leaving books behind!

message 17: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments That is awesome Susan. I really think it's a wonderful program. One of my fellow in-person book club members has also started a book club in an assisted-living home. Many residents are younger than we might expect and mentally acute but incapacitated in another way and she tells me they love the book club. I think we should even have book clubs offered in high school. Let's put them everywhere!

message 18: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1919 comments Book clubs in high school -- why isn't that already everywhere!? Seems a perfect match, doesn't it!?

message 19: by ❀ Susan (new)

My son's grade 3 teacher did book clubs in his classroom last year!

message 20: by ❀ Susan (new)

Thanks for your suggestion @Megan - I think that the prison book club info fits well with the theme of sharing a love of reading so am comfortable leaving it together. :)

Great to hear that @Louise has been so inspiring to others!

On another note - I heard that the community of Kitchener-Waterloo (in Ontario) helps support residents with grants for LFL to share a love of reading! This likely belongs in the other thread but seems to fit here too.

message 21: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments This came up in our Spine Crackers thread so I thought I would mention it here as well as it fits into our love of reading.

The Reading Education Assistance Dogs (R.E.A.D.) program improves children's reading and communication skills by employing a powerful method: reading to an animal. But not just any animal. R.E.A.D. companions are registered therapy animals who volunteer with their owner/handlers as a team, going to schools, libraries and many other settings as reading companions for children.

http://www.therapyanimals.org/R.E.A.D...

message 22: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments if I may add a caveat to Louise's encouragement, do be mindful of the fact that,alas, some books you might be happy to toss really should be tossed. It does not edify anyone to read a horrible book!

message 23: by Louise (last edited Sep 02, 2016 10:36AM) (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Here is a good guideline when donating books to prisons:

What to donate when you donate your books to prisons:

Books in reasonable condition. There’s used, and then there’s used.
Paperbacks. Many prisons do not allow hardcover books.
Graphic novels.
Books in Spanish.
Books on social movements and liberation struggles.
Yoga and fitness.
LGBTQ books.
Popular fiction.
Law books less than 5 years old.
Drawing and art books.
Fantasy and science fiction.
ESL – English as a Second Language books.
How-to (especially woodworking, plumbing, car mechanics, small motor repair).
Computer books less than 5 years old.
American Sign Language (ASL) instruction.
Books about starting or running a business.
Books about chess.
African American Studies.
The Autobiography of Malcolm X.
Test Prep Books – GED, SAT, and similar.
Time. Even if you have nothing to give, you can volunteer.
Money.
Organizations that donate used books need help with postage and supplies. Some organizations focus on buying new books rather than accepting used.
Time. Even if you have nothing to spare, you can volunteer.

What not to donate when you donate your books to prisons:

Books with spiral bindings.
Textbooks more than 5 years old.
Religious paraphernalia.
Magazines.
Books in bad condition.
Books with nude photos.
Books with written notes and/or highlighting.
Anything else forbidden by the organization or prison you donate to. Be sure to check the rules to save volunteers the time it will take to sort through your boxes and weed out what won’t work.

The above list is American so to Candianize (is that a word?) it, I would add French books (moreso than Spanish) and Indigenous books.

message 24: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Sep 28, 2016 06:12AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1642 comments Three members of my in-person book club (including me) have school-aged children and we've decided to try a kids book club. Between us, we have 6 kids ranging in age from 5-10, so we're picking a book with a reading level somewhere in the middle, which will be a read aloud for the littles of course. I really hope this works out, and if it does, we may ask them all to invite a friend next time and grow our club.

message 25: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1919 comments ✰ Allison ✰ wrote: "Three members of my in-person book club (including me) have school-aged children and we've decided to try a kids book club. Between us, we have 6 kids ranging in age from 6-10, so we're picking a b..."

Fun! My 11 year old and I started a Mum-Daughter book club this summer, and we're talking about opening it up to some of her friends and their mothers! I don't really know how it will work either... Will accept any advice!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1642 comments @Allison, it's still very much a work in progress, but I will share details as we figure it out.

message 27: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments We had our first book club meeting at Joliette Institution for Women where we discussed The Rosie Project. It was a very interesting meeting that included 10 members/inmates, plus the prison's librarian who is also an inmate, a social program officer, two co-facilitators, and the founder of BCFI who ran this first meeting. Two younger members seemed a bit shy but all the others jumped right in with their input, two women had children with Asperger's, and one woman said she found the book just *okay* at the beginning of the meeting but by the end she said after listening to the discussion she was going to re-read the book with a more open mind. The women all come from such varied backgrounds, it really made the discussion super interesting.

If you're a book club lover, please consider volunteering for BCFI. It's an experience like no other.

message 28: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Louise - sounds like a terrific way to share your love of reading and so nice that you are making a difference for these women! I enjoyed The Rosie Project and that book seems like a perfect choice!

message 29: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments @ Louise
so glad that you are enjoying your inside book club. I have Rosie lined up to read when I've finished the Wangersky. The glass harmonica is interesting but I've yet to be galvanized.
back to Rosie, am interested in the women's opinions, yours too hmmm, perhaps wait a week, by which time I hope to have read

message 30: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments The Rosie Project is just a cutesy romantic comedy, nothing more really.

I was not blown away by Wangersky's novels Walt and Glass Harmonica but I was blown away by his short story collection Whirl Away.

message 31: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments @Lousie, glad you had such a great experience!!

I'm still waiting to hear back from BCFI about my volunteer application. Meanwhile I've applied to the Elizabeth Fry Society and they were really interested in implementing a bookclub into one of their half way houses, so maybe I'll get to do that hopefully.

message 32: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Megan wrote: "@Lousie, glad you had such a great experience!!

I'm still waiting to hear back from BCFI about my volunteer application. Meanwhile I've applied to the Elizabeth Fry Society and they were really in..."

I hope BCFI gets back to you shortly. Great idea for getting book clubs in halfway houses. Assisted-Living Centers would be another good one.

message 33: by Louise (last edited Oct 07, 2016 11:49AM) (new)

Louise | 1171 comments So far I have approached two Montreal writers (Josip Novakovich and Neil Smith) about possibly doing an author visit to the Women's Prison, and both readily agreed. I also recently found out the The Quebec Writer's Federation, actually funds author visits:

The Quebec Writers' Federation (QWF), with a grant from the Canada Council for the Arts, will reimburse honoraria and travel costs for public readings by English-language (EL) Quebec authors held by organizations across Canada. The goal of the program is to increase opportunities for Quebec (EL) authors to be heard outside of their immediate area, and particularly to enable them to travel to other parts of the province and country.

I love the literary community.

message 34: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Louise - that is fabulous. Speaking to authors always adds so much depth to the discussion. I bet the women will really appreciate that! The QWF sounds intriguing and I will have to google them!

message 35: by ❀ Susan (new)

Such a fun night tonight - I did a Pecha Kucha style presentation (20 slides with 20 seconds per slide) at the Paris Lecture series sharing about my Little Free Library and experience sharing a love of reading through blogging. It was a bit nerve wracking as the slides advanced automatically keeping me moving quickly but it was a fun challenge.

Of 11 presentations, 3 highlighted reading/literacy with mine, one on a literacy program teaching adults to read and the other on the benefit of reading to children under the age of 5.

message 36: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "Such a fun night tonight - I did a Pecha Kucha style presentation (20 slides with 20 seconds per slide) at the Paris Lecture series sharing about my Little Free Library and experience sharing a lov..."

Good for you Susan! I love your love of LFL :-)

message 37: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Last night I had the BEST book club meeting I have ever had in my entire life. I, and my co-facilitator, were both blown away. We talked about Cheryl Strayed's book Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, not a book I particularly liked but the discussion was awesome! and it was in prison :-)

Some women brought notes with them (one had a page full), others had highlighted many passages in the book. They were totally into it. The ladies really identified with Strayed's journey on the Pacific Crest Trail and equated it with their own journey in prison. Many expressed how prison has actually made them better people. They have learned patience and acceptance. One inmate said: "I don't regret coming to jail. I only regret how I came to jail". And another said: "In prison, when someone offers you something, it's very meaningful. You learn to appreciate". Another inmate talked about how her moment of *wild* happened when she was 56 years old and it landed her in prison and she went on to talk about the difficulties that has caused with her children. It was simply the most fascinating book discussion I have ever had, and so completely different from a regular book club. The women were so open and perceptive and revealed so much about themselves. We even had tears at one point. I feel blessed to be part of this wonderful book club.

message 38: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Louise - thanks re: LFL and your post on the book club above sounds amazing! what a great experience to share such honest revelations!!

message 39: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments @Lousie, that's amazing! I'm so happy you were able to be part of that experience. :)

message 40: by ❀ Susan (new)

Update re: Book Clubs for Inmates - I have moved the comments that are specific to BCFI to its' own thread. I have deleted from here to reduce duplication but left a few comments which have multiple topics. Please see the BCFI thread inspired by @Louise's work with BCFI and we will continue to follow her experiences with this book club that is changing lives of inmates!

message 41: by ❀ Susan (new)

It is Random Acts of Kindness Day and I have been thinking about what I can do in relation to books. I have a great collection of donations right now and I think that I will share with some other local LFLs so that others can enjoy reading. Any other ideas? How will you share RAKs today?

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1642 comments I didn't know that. In 2014 I did random acts of kindness for each day of Lent. I'm not even religious, but it was a fun thing to do.

message 43: by Allison (last edited Nov 04, 2016 07:46AM) (new)

Allison | 1919 comments Oh, the kids and I love paying for the car in line behind us in Tim Hortons, and then taking off before they can catch us to find out who we are -- haha. We do this nearly every time we go, but we'll have to make sure we do it today, or something similar. I didn't know it was RAK day!

message 44: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Allison's - this is great. Love the idea of doing RAK for Lent (I am not religious either but think that this is a great win-win). I am not a coffee drinker so don't hit the drive thru often but this happened to my colleague last week and started her day of so positively!!!

In The Happiness Equation: Want Nothing + Do Anything = Have Everything, Neil Pasricha suggests doing 5 RAK a week to help with Happiness as it is a win-win for the recipient and the instigator of the RAK. He was such an inspiring speaker and I like the idea of making RAK more routine!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1642 comments They definitely are win-win. I'm soon heading to Tim's for my afternoon coffee (I require both AM and PM caffeine), so I will pay for the car behind I think. It always feels so good to do it and also to be the recipient of the RAK, which I've experienced also.

message 46: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments I want to move to Iceland!!!

http://www.treehugger.com/culture/ice...

message 47: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1919 comments I've read about this before! Isn't that awesome? We are kind of having our own version of this right now... :)

message 48: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments I've read this before too, but yes, I want to move to Iceland!! But seriously, my husband and I are planning a trip there for our big number birthdays....I might not come back. ha!

message 49: by ❀ Susan (new)

Thanks Louise!! After reading about this last year, Iceland is on my bucket list!!

message 50: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 357 comments My family are/were all readers but of my two nephews and niece, only my niece is a reader like the rest of us. We have a tradition of a visit to the local Chapters store every year over the holidays to spend our gift cards, which we also make sure we all have! I think we started this when she was in university and now that she's nearly 30, working full time and married, we're still making sure we save a day for it! It's usually my mother, me and my niece, though her mother has come along now and then but it's so nice to have face time with her.

« previous 1 3