Play Book Tag discussion

It's a Long Story: My Life
This topic is about It's a Long Story
July 2016: Biography Memoir > It's a Long Story My Life, Willie Nelson 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Margaret (margarette) | 333 comments I didn't review this right away and had it in my mind that it was just a 3 star book for me. Now that I'm ready to write a review, I see that I originally rated it 4 stars. I can't explain it. Maybe I just didn't want to give Willie a mediocre rating because I like and admire him, have since Farm Aid, but didn't know a lot about him.

I did learn quite a bit new here. For example, he wrote a lot of well known songs that I had no idea were his. In the early years, he sold full rights to big bundles of songs for a pittance because he desperately needed money. How sad He's not led a saintly life, but he has retained the values instilled in childhood, especially by his grandparents. He appears to remain a very kind, caring and humble person.

I listened to the audio, because it just seems most fitting for the memoir of someone so defined by such a distinctive and recognizable voice. I'm going to let my original 4 star rating stand. Since it was my gut reaction, it's likely accurate

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6688 comments Margarette wrote: "I didn't review this right away and had it in my mind that it was just a 3 star book for me. Now that I'm ready to write a review, I see that I originally rated it 4 stars. I can't explain it. Mayb..."

I love blues music which Willie has written a standard, but I also love rock and roll and older country music. I've seen Willie perform a good number of times and can attest to his love of what he is doing. It is a joy to watch him.

message 3: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I saw Willie years ago in Louisville on Derby weekend. Leon Russell made a surprise appearance. It was a wonderful weekend, but I gave up crowds years ago and have never been one for biographies so will content myself with watching the American Master's program on the Highwaymen on PBS with a bit of Stardust in my eyes.

Margaret (margarette) | 333 comments I also gave up the huge concert crowds years ago and they aren't outstanding around Derby like they used to be