Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street (The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, #1)
This topic is about The Watchmaker of Filigree Street
Previous BOMs - Authors; M - P > The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley; Adult Sci-Fi/Fantasy BOM; Starts August 12, 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 116 (116 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31480 comments Mod

This topic is open for discussion of The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha PulleyBe prepared for spoilers!

Synopsis:
1883. Thaniel Steepleton returns home to his tiny London apartment to find a gold pocket watch on his pillow. Six months later, the mysterious timepiece saves his life, drawing him away from a blast that destroys Scotland Yard. At last, he goes in search of its maker, Keita Mori, a kind, lonely immigrant from Japan. Although Mori seems harmless, a chain of unexplainable events soon suggests he must be hiding something. When Grace Carrow, an Oxford physicist, unwittingly interferes, Thaniel is torn between opposing loyalties.

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street is a sweeping, atmospheric narrative that takes the reader on an unexpected journey through Victorian London, Japan as its civil war crumbles long-standing traditions, and beyond. Blending historical events with dazzling flights of fancy, it opens doors to a strange and magical past

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Aug 19, 2016 09:16PM) (new) - added it

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages PPQDs

12 August 1-4 1-52 Talia
13 August 5-9 53-103 Karrie
14 August 10-14 104-155 Logan

***BREAK DAY***

16 August 15-19 156-205 Charlie
17 August 20-24 206-262 Marcelina
18 August 25-31 263-318 Jenny

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm, sounds interesting. I'm in! And I can write DQs.

Kay Kay | 1794 comments I will do this one, you can put me down for questions.

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I'm in, and I can do some questions.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in, and I can also do some questions for this one! :)

Brittney | 652 comments I think I might join this one. This book sounds very interesting.

Alysa H. | 3713 comments I read this about a year ago, but maybe I'll re-read for the discussion. I remember it very well though! :D

message 11: by Charlie (last edited Aug 09, 2016 08:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie (miss_charlie_d) | 178 comments Picking it up today! Put me down for DQs!
*preferably on one of the days after the break, thanks!

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I'm in - from the Markhors...any day except the 17th

message 13: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Thanks everyone!

Schedule has been updated here please let us know if the date given doesn't work for you

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I'll have to post mine a touch early because I'm racing on Sunday, but the evening of the 13th is the 14th in Australia so it counts, right? :)

message 15: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14746 comments Mod
Works for me ;)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Jenny wrote: "I'm in - from the Markhors...any day except the 17th"

HI fellow Markhor! I'm on for the 13th and excited to write questions!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

my scheduled date looks good to me! Can't wait to start reading today!:)

Kaleen | 60 comments Just picked the book up from the library! Ready to read!

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Just picked up mine from the book store - looking forward to the discussion!

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Karrie wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I'm in - from the Markhors...any day except the 17th"

HI fellow Markhor! I'm on for the 13th and excited to write questions!"

cool.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi all! I'm loving this book so far! I ran out of time this afternoon, so I'll be posting the first set of DQs tonight.

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

No probs Talia!

Erika | 10 comments I read through chapter 4 and this book is great so far!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Aug. 12 -- Discussion Questions for Chp. 1-4

1. I had never heard of this book before it was chosen as a book of the month for this group. Are you familiar with this book or this author?

2. Thaniel finds a gold pocket watch in his flat, and he can't seem to get rid of it! What would you have done with the watch if you were in his shoes?

3. I knew I was going to love Grace's character from the moment she twitched her fake mustache! While Thaniel's chapters seemed more gloomy and tense, her chapter is hilarious! Although I could see how some people might kind her a bit pushy. What do you think about these main characters, Thaniel & Grace, so far?

4. The Bodleian sounds like an awesome library with its cavernous cellar underneath full of obscure titles. I just wanted to upload a few pics. Anyone want to go on a field trip!?
description
description
description
description
description

5. The watchmaker seems quirky but nice. But it could be an act! Do you think he knows more about the bombings than he is telling Nathaniel?

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Erika wrote: "I read through chapter 4 and this book is great so far!"

I agree! I'm pleasantly surprised since I had never heard of this book before!

message 26: by Molly (last edited Aug 12, 2016 09:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments Aug. 12 -- Discussion Questions for Chp. 1-4

1. I had never heard of this book before it was chosen as a book of the month for this group. Are you familiar with this book or this author?

I never heard of this book either. I noticed someone nominated it a few months ago and remember thinking I'd be happy if it won because it sounded very interesting. I was happy this month to see that it had been nominated again and won!

2. Thaniel finds a gold pocket watch in his flat, and he can't seem to get rid of it! What would you have done with the watch if you were in his shoes?

It was a smart idea to try to pawn it. I would have done the same as him and ask everyone I knew if they had left it for me.

3. I knew I was going to love Grace's character from the moment she twitched her fake mustache! While Thaniel's chapters seemed more gloomy and tense, her chapter is hilarious! Although I could see how some people might kind her a bit pushy. What do you think about these main characters, Thaniel & Grace, so far?

I love Grace! I can't wait to read more about her! I love that she isn't afraid to break the rules. She is strong and intelligent. So far she seems like a great female protagonist. I like Thaniel too but I do think his personality still needs to shine through.

4. The Bodleian sounds like an awesome library with its cavernous cellar underneath full of obscure titles. I just wanted to upload a few pics. Anyone want to go on a field trip?

It looks beautiful! I'm in!

5. The watchmaker seems quirky but nice. But it could be an act! Do you think he knows more about the bombings than he is telling Nathaniel?

He must know more! I'm looking forward to hearing more of what he has to say to Thaniel.

Erika | 10 comments 1. I had never heard of this book before it was chosen as a book of the month for this group. Are you familiar with this book or this author?

I’d never heard of either but I really think I will like this book, so I’m glad it was chosen to be one of this months’ books!

I think I would have reacted pretty much the same as Thaniel. I would have thought it was a relative at first too. I also would have brought it to a jeweler for some information on what it was. I would have wondered why it didn’t work and how I could get it to work. I think I would have asked more questions than Thaniel did when he was met with such hostility when he did go to the pawn shop for information. I would have wanted to know more and/or I would have tried to go to another jeweler.

Thaniel does seem more gloomy and Grace seems more “fun”. It seems like Thaniel is reserved to his fate of being a provider for his sister and nephews and maybe sad, but doesn’t let himself feel it, about having to give up his musical career. Right now, I can’t imagine how these two will meet so it will be interesting to see.

4. The Bodleian sounds like an awesome library with its cavernous cellar underneath full of obscure titles. I just wanted to upload a few pics. Anyone want to go on a field trip!?

I’ve never even been to Europe, so yes please! :)

Hmmm that’s an interesting point that I hadn’t thought about. He seems to be helpful and caring towards Thaniel after the bombing. Could he have been the one who left the watch in his apartment and if so, why?

Emily (emilythebooknerd) | 1388 comments Aug. 12 -- Discussion Questions for Chp. 1-4

Well, I nominated it for the BOM poll. I think someone I follow on GR reviewed it favorably, causing me to read the synopsis, which completely intrigued me. Then I saw it in the bookstore, and it was a really pretty book… All of that factored in. Haven’t heard of the author or read anything by her before, though.
Hope we all continue to like it :)

Well, my reaction would have been different since as a modern person, I’m more aware of the possible harm even something small could pose. I would have handed it over to the police right away. But assuming I was from the same era as Thaniel, my reaction would probably have been similar to his at first- seeing it as a strange oddity and mystery that I wouldn’t think too much about. Maybe try to figure it out and/or sell it. After learning that the February bomb at Victoria Station was set off by clockwork, though, I think I would have been alarmed enough to dispose of the watch, even if it were real gold.

I’m enjoying both story lines and characters, although due to the shift in tone you mention, I found Grace’s chapter a bit jarring, almost like it was from a different book, despite the obvious connection of the watches. I’m guessing they will converge more as we read on, though.
I’m enjoying the way both main characters look at the world- Thaniel with his sounds as colors and interesting metaphors, and both he and Grace with their observations about themselves and other people (like Thaniel’s about shrinking to fit his job and Grace’s about hopping on the grass and about the origins of Matsumoto’s charm).

Ever since I first read about the Bodleian in A Discovery of Witches, I have badly wanted to visit. Someday! Maybe if I win the lottery (without ever buying tickets ;)) I’ll go on a whole libraries of Europe tour or something…

Oh, definitely! After all, he had the tea all ready and fresh sheets on the bed… almost as if he was waiting for Nathaniel… I don’t think it’s necessarily as simple as the watchmaker being the bomber though. I can’t wait to find out more about him- the clockwork octopus has me totally sucked in!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Emily wrote: "Aug. 12 -- Discussion Questions for Chp. 1-4

Well, I ..."

I forgot about Thaniel being able to see sounds as colors! That's a pretty cool talent. I wonder how that's going to play into the story.

message 30: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aug. 12 -- Discussion Questions for Chp. 1-4

The book was on my tbr (looks like I added it in August last year), but I'm not sure why. I think it may have been reviewed in the paper as that was just after the release date.! Anyhow, the synopsis is really intriguing and the cover is eye catching ;)

I think for this time and place his actions make sense. I agree with some of the other comments that I would have tried to find out more from the pawn broker!

She is great. I like the juxtaposition with the two characters and I *love* the introduction of Japanese characters to the story, because in this time period they would have been very unusual to come across. It is kind of like each character has a small oddity about them, even though Thaniel's is somewhat hidden from the world

Oh yes, I agree, Discovery of Witches got me wanting to visit too :)

I'm not sure about the bombings, but he has made the watches and they obviously have more of a purpose than meets the eye. Also perhaps he is related somehow to Grace's friend, although how her brother came to give her the watch whereas Thaniel's just kind of found him is very intriguing. I love the slight steampunk angle with the clockwork octopus ;)

Brittney | 652 comments Aug. 12 -- Discussion Questions for Chp. 1-4

It kept popping up on my goodreads page so I put it down on my TBR list. The cover always caught my eye so I decided to go ahead and read it. So far it seems like a really easy read.

I agree with the posts so far on this question. Considering the ways of the world back then I think Thaniel responded properly. I would have tried to find out more about the watch and how it was made but I don't think I would have tried to sell it.

I really enjoyed reading her chapter so far but that could be because of the library. LOL. Her character seems like it is going to be very entertaining.

I would love to visit this library some day. I know I would get lost and not want to be found.

I agree with Karen and Emily. I think the watchmaker was waiting for him to show up. He knew that the sound would save Thaniel from the bombing so he had everything waiting for him. I also enjoyed the clockwork octopus. I thought the description was well written.

Kaleen | 60 comments 1. I had never heard of this book before it was chosen as a book of the month for this group. Are you familiar with this book or this author?
I had never heard of this book either. I am enjoying it more than I thought I would.

I probably would have done exactly what he did. Hang on to it, and bring it up in conversation. Considering his situation and the fact that the watch really doesn't seem to work most of the time, pawning it seems like a reasonable option.

They seem like they balance each other. Thaniel is gloomy and dark, while Grace is exciting and feisty. I'm looking forward to seeing how theses two are connected.

Looks amazing! I'm sold. Just tell me when and where :)

I'm sure he knows more than he is saying. I really want to know what his back story is.

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Aug. 12 -- Discussion Questions for Chp. 1-4

1. It was new to me. I love BOMs for this reason - I always try books that are new and would likely not have found on my own.

2. It seemed like it was meant for him so I probably would have kept it too. :)

3. I love Thaniel but agree that he's a bit gloomy and weary. Grace's energy is infectious!

4. The Bodleian caught my attention in the Discovery of Witches books and now I want to visit even more!

5. Mr. Mori is a cool character. I'm very curious to see what he knows about the bombings and who buys his watches.

message 34: by Logan (last edited Aug 13, 2016 07:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I'm a bit behind and have a race in the morning so I won't be able to post until the evening. If we don't have questions by then for the second set I can post some for both days.

Charlie (miss_charlie_d) | 178 comments Aug. 12 -- Discussion Questions for Chp. 1-4

I had never heard of this before the mods added it to the wobble challenge threads. The blurb sounded interesting enough, and the book is gorgeous. I don't think I would have picked it up otherwise though.

I'm going to have to deviate from everyone else here: 1883 or 2016, I would have shoved that watch in a drawer and forgotten about it. That wouldn't make for a very entertaining story, though. ;)

I agree with Molly that Thaniel feels a little flat as a charcter, he has a sad past but other than being depressed I don't know anything else. Grace made me laugh, with the fake stache and observations of rules at Oxford. Her dismissal of women's suffrage threw me for a loop, though.

So I studied the Bodleian for my history of architecture class in college. It's been on my bucket list for years now!

Definitely, he's way to evasive. Maybe a red herring, it seems way too obvious, right?

Charlie (miss_charlie_d) | 178 comments Talia wrote: "...I forgot about Thaniel being able to see sounds as colors! That's a pretty cool talent. I wonder how that's going to play into the story. "

He's a synesthete! It's a real condition, but very rare. I was also wondering how that will come into play. I love how she described that, with the yellow noise.

Emily (emilythebooknerd) | 1388 comments Charlie wrote: "Talia wrote: "...I forgot about Thaniel being able to see sounds as colors! That's a pretty cool talent. I wonder how that's going to play into the story. "

He's a synesthete! It's a real conditio..."

Oh, that's cool, Charlie! Thanks for giving it a name so I could look up some more information :) I'm sure it will end up being important and look forward to how the author uses this talent/condition of Thaniel's.

message 38: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Charlie wrote: "T
He's a synesthete! It's a real condition, but very rare. I was also wondering how that will come into play. I love how she described that, with the yellow noise...."

wow. I had no idea

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Aug. 12 -- DQs Chapter 1-4

I had never heard of it either but when I saw the octopus on top of the watch and the cogs and wheels I thought "Yaya - steampunk"

At first I thought it was a weapon of some kind as it started "ticking" when the first bomb went off. Then when it started screeching right before the second bomb, I would have held on to it for dear life as a warning signal.

3. I knew I was going to love Grace's character from the moment she twitched her fake mustache! While Thaniel's chapters seemed more gloomy and tense, her chapter is hilarious! Although I could see how some people might find her a bit pushy. What do you think about these main characters, Thaniel & Grace, so far?

I love both of those characters, and am interested in seeing how Grace plays more into the watchmaker theme.

Who's paying? I'm in if we can get a grant of some kind - maybe we can write a book!

Oh yes. He made the watch warning device, and he was ready when it happened. I think he's on the good side of things as he was using the watches as warning devices, but who knows.

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Charlie - thank you! I knew I had read about that condition but couldn't remember the word for it and it was bugging me! lol

Brittney | 652 comments Charlie wrote: "Talia wrote: "...I forgot about Thaniel being able to see sounds as colors! That's a pretty cool talent. I wonder how that's going to play into the story. "

He's a synesthete! It's a real conditio..."

I am going to have to read about this. It sounds so interesting. Thanks for the insight.

Charlie (miss_charlie_d) | 178 comments just finished today's chapters- his synesthesia definitely comes into play, although marginally. This book is getting good!

Kay Kay | 1794 comments So sorry I missed my day! I was with family yesterday and was sure I would find time to post. Good news/Bad news it did not happen (usually they all go play cards and I get a big chunk of time to read) This time there were too many non card players there!
I will post Questions in a few hours!
Sorry!

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Chapters 5 - 8

6. I do not know much about clockwork. It sounds really neat and pretty. In my mind it is like really fancy automatons, except not people. I love the octopus! Did you know much about clockwork? Have you ever seen any work like the work described in the book?

7. In chapter Six Mori says, "Honour is leaving your family behind because your own conscience is more important." Do you agree or not?

8. The steam engine toy sounds cool. Do you really think that a thing like that could have existed in Ancient Greece? I loved his comment about philosophers! "They put two and two together and get a goldfish." This one I certainly agree with!

9. In chapter seven Thaniel looks around his room and realizes that not much has changed over four years. He says that everything he has done has been "nothing but laps". What do you think about this quote?

10. Spindle was very organized and had everything in it's place. His cabinets were even a 17 x 17 grid. Mori's workshop sounds like a beautiful jumble of pieces and parts with something always going on. Which workshop would you best?

11. I don't know why the bird smelled like gun powder or exactly where this book is going, but I have been enjoying it. Any guesses that you would like to share so far? Are you enjoying it?

Kay Kay | 1794 comments 1. I had never heard of this book before it was chosen as a book of the month for this group. Are you familiar with this book or this author?
No. But I was eager to read it!

I would have kept it and continued to try to find out where it came from and who it should really belong to.

I like the characters so far. Thaniel does seem a bit dry and stuffy, but that gives him room to lighten up!

YES PLEASE!!!!! I love to travel and I love books. When do we leave? A NBRC tour perhaps? Group discount rates? Disguises for all the women included?

At this point it is hard to tell. But I didn't think so.

message 46: by Marmie7 (last edited Aug 14, 2016 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Marmie7 1. I had never heard of this book before it was chosen as a book of the month for this group. Are you familiar with this book or this author?
I had heard of this book through booktube and fell in love with the cover and description. I was excited when I saw it was one of the choices!

I'd definitely want to discover where it came from but I would keep it, esp after it saved my life!

Thaniel character is a bit on the gloomy side, but I'm hoping it improves with the story. Loving Grace so far! She's so spirited!

Absolutely! I love beautiful libraries!
He's my favorite character so far. I'm sure he knows more than he's letting on, but I don't think he's setting off the bombs. (At least I hope not!)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Chapters 5 - 8

6. I do not know much about clockwork. It sounds really neat and pretty. In my mind it is like really fancy automatons, except not people. I love the octopus! Did you know much about clockwork? Have you ever seen any work like the work described in the book?

I really don’t know much about clockwork but am also in love with the little octopus. I want one of my own!

7. In chapter Six Mori says, "Honour is leaving your family behind because your own conscience is more important." Do you agree or not?

Yes, I think so if your family is doing things you really don’t agree with, or make you feel as if you are a bad person, then you have to follow the higher conscious within you.

8. The steam engine toy sounds cool. Do you really think that a thing like that could have existed in Ancient Greece? I loved his comment about philosophers! "They put two and two together and get a goldfish." This one I certainly agree with!

That’s why I love philosophy as well. I could also imagine the greeks coming up with steam powered items.

9. In chapter seven Thaniel looks around his room and realizes that not much has changed over four years. He says that everything he has done has been "nothing but laps". What do you think about this quote?

That rings so true to me. I recently had to leave my position (for medical reasons) but also felt like I had been swimming laps myself for years.

10. Spindle was very organized and had everything in it's place. His cabinets were even a 17 x 17 grid. Mori's workshop sounds like a beautiful jumble of pieces and parts with something always going on. Which workshop would you best?

I like Mori’s workshop better because it feels more fluid to the mind and creativity.

11. I don't know why the bird smelled like gun powder or exactly where this book is going, but I have been enjoying it. Any guesses that you would like to share so far? Are you enjoying it?

I am really enjoying it but have no idea where it’s really going yet.

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Jenny wrote: "Chapters 5 - 8

6. I do not know much about clockwork. It sounds really neat and pretty. In my mind it is like really fancy automatons, except not people. I love the octopus! Did you know much abou..."

I love your answers! We agree on so much, but I find it hilarious that the reason you love philosophy is the reason it drives me crazy! When I engage in those conversations I always wind up with that "I wonder what just happened" feeling! Goldfish tee hee! ;)

message 49: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapters 5 - 8

I don't know much about clockwork either, but I loved the descriptions and the reasons why having clocks keep time is so hard. I remember reading Longitude The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time by Dava Sobel and having the same thoughts about how things we take for granted and assume are simple were actually extremely difficult/complex inventions.
I also love the octopus!

I think if your family are "bad" people / not doing things in line with your values, then I agree

haha. too funny. I liked that toy, but I assumed it didn't exist back then. I guess I could be surprised!

I like this as I think everyone feels this way at some point. Four years is a VERY long time to feel like you haven't achieved anything though

I like Mori's, I'd like to say because it is more creative, but it is just because I'm messy. haha.

I am enjoying it and I have no guesses yet, I am just really enjoying the story :)

Erika | 10 comments 6. I do not know much about clockwork. It sounds really neat and pretty. In my mind it is like really fancy automatons, except not people. I love the octopus! Did you know much about clockwork? Have you ever seen any work like the work described in the book?

I love the octopus too! I hope nothing happens to him. I keep wondering if Mori really has some sort of magical powers and the octopus really is the spirit of an animal, like a pet. He seems more than just a “robotic” octopus. All of the clockwork reminds me of Steampunk….I know someone else mentioned that too. I don’t know much about it though. But I do want an octopus just like Katsu! :)

I think what he was saying is that you have to be true to yourself. If you don’t agree with the values and morals of someone, even if they are your family, then you have to be true to yourself and leave them behind. I do agree because you would be unhappy to live your life for someone else, especially doing something that wasn’t right to you.

It seemed too “high tech” to exist in Ancient Greece to me but I don’t know! That would be cool if it did though!

I think he means that his life has gone no where. He has spent 4 years doing the same thing every day and without even thinking about the passage of time or his life. This makes sense considering he gave up his music career. I think he was just going through the motions of life in order to provide for his sister and nephews. Hopefully the watch and meeting Mori, and more events to come, will help him get out of this cycle.

I think I would like Mori’s workshop best. I tend to be messy with things. Yet, I always know where everything is!

11. I don't know why the bird smelled like gunpowder or exactly where this book is going, but I have been enjoying it. Any guesses that you would like to share so far? Are you enjoying it?

I am enjoying it so far although this section of chapters has had me scratching my head a bit. It seems a little random and jumping all over the place. However, I’m sure it will all start to make sense. I want to think the best of Mori, but the smell of gunpowder has me suspicious now. But where would the connection with him to Ireland be? Very strange!!

« previous 1 3