Antastesia's bookclub! discussion

soothing books

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mila (new)

Mila What do you read when you're feeling distressed?

message 2: by Giulia (new)

Giulia (imaginarysea) Hello Mira, I would say that the best choice for me if I'm feeling somewhat stressed would be a poem or short stories collection. They're the kind of reading material that require focus but not as much as a novel with a complicated plot line.

message 3: by Betina (new)

Betina Rodrigues (betinarodrigues) I reread books that I used to enjoy reading as a child, especially fantasy fiction. It's an easy read and a great way to relax.

message 4: by Mila (last edited Aug 02, 2016 04:12PM) (new)

Mila Thank you for the answers! I had already started grieving for this group and I'm happy to see it's still alive. I'm also in a group for Argentine people where a lot is shared about reading habits and favourite books. But I'm so curious about the rest of the world and this book club is so international that I would flood it with questions! Yet I understand that many people don't have time for that or think it's frivolous compared with reading, so I hold it.
I follow both of you here: I pick up poetry, but those are generally re-reads from my favourite poetry books: Baudelaire and Borges. The effect is different though: it reminds me of the transience of everything, including beauty, and it's so heartbreaking that it's soothing (if that makes any sense).

message 5: by Antastesia (new)

Antastesia | 55 comments Mod
I read Nadja by André Breton, and I pick up Sylvia Plath's journal.
And Baudelaire is definitely a great choice, so is Aragon I'd say!

Thanks for creating this thread !:)

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael To some extent, I find that almost any good book offers solace because reading has a focusing and grounding effect for me. But the most soothing books are old favorites that have provided meaning and beauty in my life.

For instance, books by Rilke and Joseph Campbell are on my reading table right now. I've read (and reread) them for years, and they always bring me back to myself.