The F-word discussion

TALKING POINTS > Jessica Valenti and Feminists on Social Media

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
I read this article a few moments ago and I am... disgusted. For lack of a better word. I have been following Jessica Valenti's articles and columns for some time now, and I have always had to strengthen my stomach if my eyes happened to look down at the Comments sections because of the comments made against Valenti for any of her thoughts on birth control or other feminist issues. I have not read her books yet, though they are on my long-list of things to read. They are being saved for particularly rainy days as I really want to immerse myself in them.

I know she has had issues over the years, all stemming from the harassment she has received because of her articles online. One issue I read about a while back (and if I can find that interview again, I will add it here to this thread) is that she had severe back pain and ongoing issues because of the stress she was under constantly worrying about any of the threats against her coming true.

And now they make these threats against her five-year-old daughter.

I am beyond disgusted. The fact that anyone would be so terrified of a woman's thoughts and words that they would say anything against her or her family is beyond me, but this is such an ongoing trend right now. I know people feel "safer" being online trolls and bullies because everyone is face-less, but this is still a form of violence that I wish could be moderated much better.

Valenti shouldn't have to leave social media because of this, though I appreciate her concern for keeping her family safe. It is so troublesome that she has to go to that extent.

I can't even right now.

message 2: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
That's awful, Kharoll-Ann, I am sorry you have seen the hate and it has caused you to hold back. Unfortunately this happens to so many of us (it's constantly on my mind when I consider starting a blog which would also cover feminist issues), and it's a sad part of our society in the 21st century that this is still a deterrent. We all have such wonderful voices and our thoughts should be shared, and yet we are constantly reminded that we shouldn't have those voices or those thoughts.

I'm not sure if I'm articulating myself entirely well here (angry-typing, while at work!) and I'm not sure what the answers are. But I know that it constantly enrages me any time I see this sort of thing happening. Additionally unfortunate is that there's no real way of helping in this social media situations, because as everyone knows, online arguments are essentially useless. It's like typing to a brick wall and expecting it to turn into a tree.

Sigh.

Just ranting.

In any case, Kharoll-Ann, please know this is a safe place to share your thoughts. I hope you feel comfortable now (or at some point) to express yourself here. :)

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitafajitapitareada) I can't even either. I've started typing and deleted like five comments. You all get it. I pretty much steer clear of social media. This is my comfy space to learn and discuss

message 4: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I just want to crawl into a closet and hide. Definitely not the healthiest of reactions.