The Eyes of the Dragon
This topic is about The Eyes of the Dragon
The Eyes of The Dragon, by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 966 comments The Eyes of the Dragon
The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

GR synopsis:
A fantasy of heroic adventure, set in the kingdom of Delain. It involves a king who is poisoned, a young and beautiful queen, a prince locked in a high tower while his younger brother assumes the throne, and an evil magician who harbours terrible secrets and malevolent plans.

I started this morning as part of my Stephen King/Dark Tower Challenge. I had troubles putting it down and was tempted to call in "sick" to work. I am really interested in this book and how it may/may not relate to other books as it has two main characters named Rowland (the Dark Tower series) and Flagg (the Stand). I've noticed that King likes to use certain over and over again, without them being connected (that I've been able to see anyway).

message 2: by Zaz (last edited Jul 28, 2016 10:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 2983 comments Flagg is always connected as he's not really the mortal sort, but I think in some books, he's not fulling presented (so you can see him as just a normal and bad man).

I re-read The Eyes of the Dragon last year. I own the book, so I was curious how it worked as a re-read. The story was still interesting but I found it depressing and some parts were crude. The atmosphere was well done and the fairytale feeling was present, which is a nice change for a King's book. It wasn't a fully pleasant re-read and I was less interested by the story this time, but I think King did well with the book.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 966 comments That's great to know. I had never noticed Flagg in anything else until you had pointed out to me that other characters are connect to the DT series. Now I'm seeing them everywhere.

I'm totally getting the depressing vibe from this story, and I'm about 1/2 way through it. As soon as Thomas was born I knew this was going to be an unhappy doozy. I'm really loving this story though. It feels like something different from King, even though fantasy is not new for him. The way this story is told kind of reminds me of The Hobbit (Niner = Gollum on equal amounts of crazy).

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 966 comments I just finished this and I LOVED it! This easily just moved into the spot for my favorite King novel, bumping out Desperation. It was not a happy story by any stretch of the imagination, but I really loved how the whole thing was constructed, and how the storyteller weaved Peter's tale together.

5/5

Peter | -20 comments This was my first introduction to King back when I was a teenager. I loved it as well. Everyone knows King as a horror novelist, but most of the books I've read from him are distinctly in other genres. I keep meaning to read some of his true horrors like Carrie, Kujo and the Shining, but I keep getting distracted by his other books. I'm really hoping to fit at least one of his horrors (most likely the Shining) into my list for next year.