Paper & Glam Book Club discussion

The Night Circus
This topic is about The Night Circus
Glam Archives | 2016 > August 2016: Night Circus

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisamarie Landreth (paperandglam) | 237 comments Mod
Who's ready for a light and breezy Young Adult poolside read after three culturally and historically significant books in a row?! (all hands raise)

Can't wait to read your thoughts and chat with you live August 25th @ 6 PM PST/9 PM EST.

Enjoy the balance of summer, Glam Readers!

Robin (rwaggs) | 16 comments I got my copy and am ready for this one!

message 3: by Suly (new)

Suly | 1 comments I'm ready !

Love, J (jennem) | 52 comments Almost... Downloading now!

message 5: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Ready!

message 6: by Kaitlyn (new) - added it

Kaitlyn Krna | 11 comments I'm ready and excited to read this one!

message 7: by K (new) - rated it 5 stars

K | 1 comments I read this a couple months ago and it's so beautiful. One of my absolute favourite books. I promise this isn't a spoiler okay, so read on; there's a chapter only about 5 pages long of a special clock being constructed and just the way the building of the clock is described is so amazing. My favourite chapter.

Tanelle Nash One of my favourite books! I read it years ago when it first came out and hope I get a chance to read it again this month.

message 9: by Sally (new) - added it

Sally (too_fond_of_books) | 1 comments I don't think the Night Circus is going to be a light, breezy novel like Jennifer Haan's books. It's a magical, slow burning love story. The book is over 500 pages, so it's not a quick read for me. The author Erin Morgenstern said in a Huffington Post interview that this is not YA lit. It is intended to be an Adult novel, but it may have crossover appeal.

Heather (heathrene) Sally wrote: "I don't think the Night Circus is going to be a light, breezy novel like Jennifer Haan's books. It's a magical, slow burning love story. The book is over 500 pages, so it's not a quick read for me...."
Once I read the 'F" word in one of the 1st chapters, I figured this wasn't YA. Yay for adult novels!

Paula (paulakaye) I just finished reading this book. Took me a long time. Was not a quick read. Nor light and breezy as Lisamarie described it here. Anyway I didn't think so. I do think young adults would enjoy the story. As far as the use of the "F" word, I don't even remember it appearing so it didn't make a big impact on me. It is a magical story. But only because of the descriptions of the circus. I was not impressed with the love story part of it!

Karen Roberts (northernlady101) | 2 comments Hello. I finished this book last night and I loved it! I so wanted to wander around the circus and experience first hand the wonder of it all. Perhaps I am out of touch with YA novels since those days are long past for me, but I think this is quite appropriate reading for that age. It is a refreshing departure from the sex and violence that is so prevalent these days.

Heather | 14 comments After a first reading, I'm rating it 4 stars.
Pros:
1- The descriptive writing was fascinating and extremely well done. She created a new world (the circus), and I personally think this is a reason it is compared to Harry Potter. Well that and the magic, of course.
2-I enjoyed the love story.
3- I couldn't put it down for the last quarter.
4- It was a new reading experience for me, something unique.
Cons:
1. The character back stories for Prospero and the man in the gray suit are a con because they don't exist. And therefore, the characters don't make sense.
2. The magic could be explained more/better.
3. Revealing his philosophical relativism, the man in the gray suit told Widget that there's really no good or evil, etc. Disappointing. I found this speech unnecessary, and I wish it had been left out.
*My favorite description was of the food at the midnight dinners.

Love, J (jennem) | 52 comments I don't know that I will be done with this book by Thursday. I'm trying. I just don't reach for this book like I should. I am going to try to get a lot done in three days.

Leane Mackenzie wrote: "I don't know that I will be done with this book by Thursday. I'm trying. I just don't reach for this book like I should. I am going to try to get a lot done in three days."

I feel the same way, Mackenzie. It's not that I'm not enjoying the story when I'm reading it. It's just that I don't go to that book often. Looks like we will both be playing catch up!