Soldeluna discussion

The Sun City > The restaurant

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
A place to meet for a more formal kind of meal. Opened into the night.

message 2: by Wʀɛռ (new)

Wʀɛռ (Cactus_Wren) "Are you kidding? I'm starving." Valence grinned as she walked into the restaurant with the grace of someone who didn't just sprint a hundred meters only a few seconds before. "Table for four please," she told the waiter with a flirtatious wink and followed him across the restaurant to a table.

Ronan shrugged at Leo, "Sounds good," and followed after his sister, eyeing the restaurant around him. He'd never been here before and was surprised by how lively the place was despite not having many patrons. It was well after lunch hours of course, after he and Valence spent so much time wandering around the city.

message 3: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Selene smiled at the waiter, who gave her a shy smile in return. She waved at a few people, mainly her fellow chefs that were peering out at her from the open windows at the east end of the restaurant, where the bar was. She took her seat, examining the silverware before her. It was a little unsettling eating at her own restaurant, or any restaurant for that matter. She and Leo would often order in and eat on the couch. Or she would cook.

Leo rolled the silverware between his fingers; as always, he was unable to sit still. Selene gave him a look of unimpressed amusement and he stopped immediately, returning her look with a wide grin.

message 4: by Wʀɛռ (new)

Wʀɛռ (Cactus_Wren) Valence tapped her fingers on the table a few times, bored with how conversations between the four of them fell quiet ever since they stepped into the restaurant. Ronan, on the other hand, seemed quite content with the silence and seemed to actually be enjoying himself, leaned back in his chair with his eyes closed. Traitorous bastard. Valence wracked her brain for something to start up more conversation and appease her antsy nature, but fell short of anything interesting.

Feeling that something was off, Ronan opened one eye and looked at his sister. She was fidgeting, as usual. "I heard rumors that the king plans to go to war with the nation to the East of us, something about wanting to control coastal territories and increase commerce." He said, and immediately Valence's eyes lit up, she loved the prospect of a good fight with anyone, even if they weren't Moon Kingdom.

"We'd finally get to see the ocean! I mean, as guards we'd automatically rank in the military instead of being foot soldiers, could you imagine? I hear the ocean is so big you can't see the other side even though it's just flat water. That's so cool!" Valence was back to her boisterous self and Ronan closed his eyes again, preferring to relax now that they weren't in the palace for once.

message 5: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Selene managed a polite smile; after all, Valence's enthusiasm was quite contagious and the idea of seeing the ocean was an exciting and pleasant one. But the prospect of going into another war frightened her slightly; she was always wary of fighting. Leo sensed her hesitation because he reached out to squeeze her hand under the table before letting his chin rest on his hand. "It'd be nice to see the ocean," he agreed, eyes brightening, "but it's a damn shame the king won't go into war with the Moon Court."

"I'm surprised he hasn't declared it," Selene agreed, her voice meeker than Leo's boisterous one. God forbid she'd be overheard. "The King's scary as Hell; D'you remember all the people he massacred at the beginning of his rule, just because they bore resemblance to those who killed his father? So many innocent people died."

Leo shrugged; he had heard stories of the king's former wrath, but unlike Selene, never really delve deep into them. "But he's not really like that anymore. Queen Soleil keeps him in check."

message 6: by Wʀɛռ (new)

Wʀɛռ (Cactus_Wren) At the mention of the king, Valence fell silent and Ronan let in a sharp intake of breath. They glanced at each other and then around the restaurant for nearby patrons. "It is not wise to speak of the king in any public setting." Valence whispered, staring at the table in front of her. Ronan shifted uncomfortably in his seat, not liking the new conversation topic.

"The queen does very little to keep the king in check. She cares for the image of our kingdom in a way he does not, but that doesn't make him any less brutal. Just better at hiding it." Ronan's voice was a hushed whisper as well. He and Valence had been lucky for the past few weeks, the king had been away on business which meant they could relax, but he was to return soon, meaning they would have to be much more serious about their jobs or risk forfeiting their lives to the king.

"Rumors do not become us brother." Valence said in a rare moment for her of elder sister mothering. She had lost a good friend to the king. A servant that was caught talking about his majesty, only to be executed for treason. Valence never found out what her friend said, but she knew that it couldn't possibly have been treasonous.

message 7: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Selene bit down on the inside of her lip; she sensed their discomfort and berated herself for talking so freely about the royal family. With only Leo for company, most nights, she often raged and ranted about the King and his family, in the comfort of their home. Selene, you absolute idiot, she thought darkly, shifting uncomfortably in her seat. She wasn't quite sure where to shift the conversation, so she shot a desperate glance at Leo.

"Whatta bastard," Leo muttered, keeping his voice low so that only the present company could hear, before he rose his voice back to the natural level, "I think we're all ready to order, yeah? Waiter?"

message 8: by Wʀɛռ (new)

Wʀɛռ (Cactus_Wren) Valence immediately accepted the change in topics, her eyes brightening again. "Oh! Yeah! I want to try the wonton soup! It sounds absolutely to die for." She began chatting away about how she likes to try different foods and how at the castle she sometimes gets lucky and the cook will slip her some of whatever exotic thing the royal family was eating. Food was Valence's third favorite thing right behind a good fight and her brother, so it made sense that she made friends in high places. By high places she meant the kitchens, and with her outgoing personality it usually was a success for her.

Ronan on the other hand, kept a far more wary approach to the situation, not quite sobered up after talking about such a depressing topic. He ordered his food in monosyllabic sentences and listened idly to his sister's chatting. He wasn't one to just hop back into conversation after all. He wasn't Valence.

message 9: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Selene slipped the waiter her order with a small smile, laughing at Valence's energy but unnerved by Ronan's silence. She cursed herself, yet again, for being daft in formulating proper conversation. So she turned to him, masked by Valence's enthusiastic explanations, and said quietly, "I'm sorry if I offended you." She offered no explanation, nor did she expand on her regret, but she did fidget with the edge of the tablecloth, obviously uncomfortable.

Leo noted his sister's discomfort and squeezed her hand under the table before turning back to Valence, grinning. "What's the best thing you've had at the castle?" He wanted to know. Apart from Selene's cooking, which was, admittedly, really good, he didn't eat much else.

message 10: by Wʀɛռ (new)

Wʀɛռ (Cactus_Wren) Ronan shifted in his seat and glanced at Selene, taking note of her worried look. "You did not offend me." Ronan replied easily. "There's no need for you to apologize." It was true, Ronan was a contemplative man after all, quite reserved compared to his fiery sister. He always figured that if they were put together they would form one whole perfectly functional person, but that was beside the point.

Valence pondered the question for a moment. There were so many exotic foods she had tried over the years that it was hard to pick a favorite. "I've always had a soft spot for mushroom risotto, but I always find myself excited for when they cook eastern dishes because the dumplings are divine." Valence eventually settled on. She was a little spoiled being able to eat the food of world class chefs. They made even the simplest of dishes taste heavenly.

message 11: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Selene released a breath, one she hadn't realized she was holding, before cracking a weak grin. Ronan unnerved her; he reminded her too much of herself. And as someone who lived around Leo, she wasn't used to meeting people who were quiet and contemplative. "Good," she whispered, too small for him to actually hear, as she fidgeted with the napkin on her lap.

Leo grinned. "Selene knows how to make mushroom risotto, but we've never had eastern dishes. You're lucky." He nudged Selene, none too gently, on the shoulder. She glared, but didn't scold him. "Did you hear that, Sel? They get to eat dumplings. I've never had a dumpling." She rolled her eyes at his childish behavior.