Play Book Tag discussion

Being Jazz: My Life as a (Transgender) Teen
This topic is about Being Jazz
July 2016: Biography Memoir > Being Jazz by Jazz Jennings- 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3831 comments Being Jazz is definitely informative on the subject of being transgender, and gives a good glimpse of the struggles of being transgender Jazz's story in particular is so interesting and groundbreaking because of how young she is, and how young she was starting to transition from a boy into a girl .It wasn't that she chose, she knew from that young age that she was meant to be a girl. I like the phrase she uses "being a girl brain in a boy body". I think it simply explains the concept of being transgender to a younger audience.

Being transgender is such a hot topic right now, I think this book made it more personal. So we see an actual face with the politics of it. And this is hopefully helpful to help others who may not be accepting of transgendered people.

It's a young adult book, so I think the target demographic is for 12-15 year olds, so the language is very "teenager-y" and there's not much depth to it. A little too "follow your dreams" for my liking. Plus the last quarter seemed a little braggy, counting the awards and honors received. But altogether, the memoir super face paced, you could read it in a sitting easy.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Great review . . .for someone wanting a more serious approach to these issues, I suggest Far from the Tree: Parents, Children, and the Search for Identity. I would like a memoir on this topic, but the "very teenager-y" description makes me think this isn't the one, lol.