What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Book from 1950s/60s/70s - boy visits family and falls into a hole/mine, Chinese miners & fool's gold

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marylin (new)

Marylin Haidri | 2 comments Hello, I'm looking for a pretty grim YA book that might have belonged to one of my parents in the 60s, though neither remember it.

A very sad and shy boy (10-13) goes to stay or live with a big family of sort of uncaring adults and children (his aunt and uncle? cousins?). The main plot of the book is that this boy falls into some kind of hole or mine shaft and gets stuck, and everyone has to try and get him out. I think his uncle gets excited when the boy thinks he sees gold, but it turns out to be fool's gold, and the uncle's initial greed and subsequent disappointment is stronger than his concern for the boy. There's a weird story of the mine being perhaps cursed by the greed of two Chinese miners who died in the mine - perhaps killed each other over what they thought was gold. From my own research, this book seems similar to "Thicker Than Water" by Penelope Farmer, but I don't believe it's the same book. Has anyone read this? It seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth, or was a dream. This was kind of a nightmare of a book, which is why it's stuck with me.
When: I read this book in the nineties.
What reading level it is aimed at: Definitely young adult, middleschool probably. But very dark.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40226 comments Mod
Marylin, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40226 comments Mod
Where and when is the book set?
Is it set in China?

message 4: by Rosa (last edited May 05, 2019 01:05PM) (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5224 comments Sounds like it isn't set in China. Otherwise, why specify that the miners were Chinese?

message 5: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4302 comments Maybe the The Fox Hole?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Fox Hole (other topics)