Short & Sweet Treats discussion

Emily Brontë
This topic is about Emily Brontë
Some Leftovers! (Previous Reads) > August Poem: "Tis Moonlight, Summer Moonlight" by Emily Brontë

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ (last edited Jul 27, 2016 03:23PM) (new)

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennsbookmarks) | 7041 comments August Poem: "Tis Moonlight, Summer Moonlight" by Emily Brontë

'Tis moonlight, summer moonlight,
All soft and still and fair;
The solemn hour of midnight
Breathes sweet thoughts everywhere,

But most where trees are sending
Their breezy boughs on high,
Or stooping low are lending
A shelter from the sky.

And there in those wild bowers
A lovely form is laid;
Green grass and dew-steeped flowers
Wave gently round her head.

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennsbookmarks) | 7041 comments I thought this poem was lovely. I imagined it written after a hot summer's day. A respite from the heat and an appreciation of summer's beauty by the moonlit earth below.

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennsbookmarks) | 7041 comments Thank you so much, Loretta. You are kind.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

For me, it described the equivalent to walking in the snow on a quiet winter's night but this time for the cool, quiet of a summer night.

Yes, definitely the summer night as a respite from the hot day. Like how it is amazing that heat can be so uncomfortable in the day then at night when the moon rises we are comforted again.

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennsbookmarks) | 7041 comments Yes, can very much work for a quiet winter's night.
The moon can be quite serene, can't it?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, serene...clear and tranquil.

So, the poem is basically making an observation...like following an observer's gaze from the moon, to the trees, to the climbing ivy and flowers?

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennsbookmarks) | 7041 comments You know, I didn't think about it that way, but it does lead the observer's gaze. Good point, Stevie! :)