Mystery Madness discussion

#Book1CoziesClub > BOTM 8/16 - Homicide in Hardcover (Bibliophile Mysteries)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Di (new)

Di (disis19) | 732 comments Mod
This will be our discussion thread for this book. Please be sure to hide your spoilers if there is something that you would like to discuss. The best way to do this is to note what chapter you're on, then hide any spoilery parts. If you do post your review on your favorite social media site, please tag it with #Book1CoziesClub so we can find it. Also, please feel free to link your review here!

message 2: by Di (new)

MsG wrote: "I'm in...This book is at my library and should be available to me by the middle of next week. Looking forward to the discussion."

Great! Can't wait to hear what you think.

message 3: by Di (new)

MsG wrote: "How are the discussions going to go? Do we start reading 8/16 or will the discussion start 8/16? Will you post questions?"

You are free to start reading and discussing August 1. The reads are month long. Discussion will be very laid back. If you want to discuss something or just want to gush, please feel free. I'm not planning on having set questions, but during reading questions do arise so please feel free to post any questions that come to you here as well.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 335 comments Mod
I picked it up from a used bookstore on Saturday, but haven't had a chance to start it yet. If I can find another copy, I'll send it to you Troi.

message 5: by Di (new)

I haven't started reading this one yet, but wanted to stop in and let you all know that my Mom is really enjoying this one!

message 6: by Di (new)

I started reading this one over the weekend, and I'm really enjoying it. I find that the fact that our main character has a background that is very different from others that I've read previously, is making this very interesting. All the information about book restoration is intriguing as well.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Neat! I didn't know it was about book restoration. Have you guys watched Steve Donoghue's book repair videos. They are pretty good. He does a couple of things that I hadn't thought of doing.

message 8: by Di (last edited Aug 22, 2016 07:04PM) (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Neat! I didn't know it was about book restoration. Have you guys watched Steve Donoghue's book repair videos. They are pretty good. He does a couple of things that I hadn't thought of doing."

No, I haven't. It sounds super interesting though. I've never even thought to look for videos like that. Will definitely need to check some out!

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (csarah) Hello everyone,

I saw the video of Elizabeth on YouTube where she talked about this book club and because I own the chosen books for August and haven't read them yet, I decided to join this group and finally get started with reading those. (I don't know how to hide the spoilers yet, so I will try to avoid the details for now.)

I just finished "Homocide in Hardcover" (mass market paperback version) and gave it 3*. Sadly, the book wasn't for me. There were a couple of things that just bothered me to much.
In general, I liked the bookish setting and the mystery. The main character and her friends were likeable to me as characters. There was a lot of action going on at times, so it didn't get boring.

Some minor things ("pet peeves") that bothered me were that the main character used to speak out loud to herself when she was alone. Another one was that I didn't like the (in my opinion!) extensive use of alcohol in the book (especially the mc getting drunk and not remembering how she got home or driving after drinking alcohol...).
And I kept asking myself why the mc was eating candy all the time while working on such a precious book (I always asked myself: Did she wash her hands?).

Some of my bigger issues I had with the book:
The decision(s) of the mc at the end of the book before the murderer was revealed also weren't quite understandable to me. And I was a little bit confused by the way the author constructed the story at the end (in regard to the timing of finishing the restoration of the book).
I also couldn't stand the character of Brooklyn's arch enemy. I mean, you are supposed to not like her, but she was a little bit too much for me.

I don't think that I will read other books in this series, I think it's just not for my taste (and I don't think that the things that annoyed me will change). I hope the book from Heather Blake will suit me better.

Disclaimer: English is not my mother tongue, so please excuse any mistakes. "Fun fact": The author herself made a grammatical mistake in this book when she used some german words ;-) (which is my mother tongue :-D )

message 10: by Di (new)

Sarah wrote: "Hello everyone,

I saw the video of Elizabeth on YouTube where she talked about this book club and because I own the chosen books for August and haven't read them yet, I decided to join this group ..."

Hi Sarah! Thanks for joining us and posting your thoughts on this book ^-^ I'm not at the halfway point on this one yet, but I too am not liking Brooklyn's nemesis. She is a piece of work!

I'll keep your insights in mind as I read through the rest. Interesting about the grammatical error!

message 11: by Di (new)

I finished this book very very early this morning. A little late I know, as this was an August selection, but there are no time constraints for reading the books ^-^

Though I do agree with Sarah about the main character eating while restoring the book, I still really enjoyed it. I also wonder about Brooklyn's work ethic in general. Not that I think she does a bad job or anything like that, but the way in which she works....which includes her eating while doing the restoration in this book. I didn't know who the culprit was until the reveal. I will definitely continuing with this series and am curious about what other works Brooklyn will be working on in subsequent installments. Also I'm super curious about what will happen with Minka! Though, she bothers me so much I kind of hope she doesn't show up too much, lol.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

I'm finally past the halfway point in this book. I can see what Sarah is talking about when it comes to the eating and the alcohol. I think the alcohol is mentioned because there is a winery at the commune and her family members run it, so therefore it is an everyday part of their lives. I personally have a difficult time relating to that aspect because I have never even tried alcohol and have never had any in my house.

One aspect that I wondered about was the fact that the main character seemed very well adjusted despite growing up in a commune. There is a book called Schooled by Gordon Korman which features a middle school boy who has lived his whole life sheltered on a commune and now must go to regular school. There was such a culture shock in making that adjustment and I can imagine that it would not be an easy transition.

message 13: by Di (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "I'm finally past the halfway point in this book. I can see what Sarah is talking about when it comes to the eating and the alcohol. I think the alcohol is mentioned because there is a winery at the..."

I agree that Brooklyn seemed very well adjusted. I was a bit surprised myself and there were times in the book that it didn't even cross my mind that she had grown up in that kind of environment. Her parents seemed so free in their ways and how they got to living in that situation, that I think that may have been a factor with how well she transitioned from life in the commune to living separate from it. I wonder if there will be throwbacks to her time growing up in subsequent installments?