A Stitcher's Book Club discussion

Archives > August Spell - Books and the Olympics

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessie Marie (last edited Jul 29, 2016 07:47AM) (new)

Jessie Marie (jessiemreads) August 2016 Spell Challenge: Books and the Olympics
August 1 - 31, 2016

For this challenge, should you accept it, choose one (or more!) of these words/phrases related to our August Books of the Month and the Olympics to spell out in August. You may use the first letter of the first word in the book’s title – excluding A, An and The – or the author’s first or last initial (middle names or initials can NOT be used).

AUGUST
SUMMER
MYSTERY
COZY
THRILLER
QUICK
THREAD
AMANDA
LEE
NIGHT
FILM
MARISHA
PESSL
OLYMPICS
OLYMPIAD
MEDAL
GOLD
SILVER
BRONZE
(YOUR FAVORITE OLYMPIC EVENT, i.e. GYMNASTICS)
RIO DE JANIERO
BRAZIL
PORTUGUESE
(YOUR HOME COUNTRY, i.e. UNITED STATES)

CHALLENGE RULES
Adapted with permission from another group.

* When you sign up for the challenge, please post a challenge template so we have a post to which to link your name; post #2 will list participant links which can then be used for making challenge updates.

* For each book you read, please indicate the title, the author and the date you finished reading it. Links to books/covers are great. : )

* Unless otherwise noted, books must be at least 150 pages long.

* For this challenge, any book finished during the month of August may count towards completion, regardless of when you started reading it.
Thanks, Heather, for bringing this up!

* Books may only be used for one task in this challenge, but cross-challenge posting is encouraged!

* You may use the first letter of the first word in the book’s title (excluding A, An and The) or the author’s first or last initial (middle names or initials can NOT be used) to spell your word.

* When you complete the challenge, please post your entire list as a new message to make it easier for everyone to see what you've read. If you don't repost your list, you won't be included in the list of those who have completed the challenge.

*If you don’t know how to post a link to the book title or cover, see the instructions here: How to Link to Books/Authors/Book Covers in GoodReads Comments

message 2: by Jessie Marie (last edited Sep 05, 2016 08:44PM) (new)

Jessie Marie (jessiemreads) August 2016 Spell Challenge: Books and the Olympics
August 1 - 31, 2016

PARTICIPANTS, in alphabetical order
The link provided here will take you directly to your post, to make it easier for you to update as the challenge progresses.

COMPLETED
Heather 8/18/16 (ish)
Dana 8/26/16
Emily 8/30/16
Heather Round II 8/31/16

---------------------

Jessica
Jessie Marie
Teresa

message 3: by Jessie Marie (last edited Aug 02, 2016 10:12AM) (new)

Jessie Marie (jessiemreads) I created it, so obviously, I'm in. : )

August 2016 Spell Challenge: Books and the Olympics
Duration: August 1 - 31, 2016
Completed: 1 / 5

P Marisha Pessl, Night Film
E An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
S Sea Swept by Nora Roberts | read 8.2.16 | 4 stars
S Jessica Spotswood, Born Wicked
L Amanda Lee, The Quick and the Thread

Night Film by Marisha Pessl An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir Sea Swept (Chesapeake Bay Saga #1) by Nora Roberts Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1) by Jessica Spotswood The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery, #1) by Amanda Lee

message 4: by Heather (last edited Aug 21, 2016 10:29PM) (new)

Heather | 131 comments August 2016 Spell Challenge: Books and the Olympics
Completed: 8 / 8

O Baby Doll by Hollie Overton - Finished August 4
L The Quick and the Thread by Amanda Lee - Finished August 1
Y The Sun King Conspiracy by Yves Jégo - Finished August 2
M Chills by Mary SanGiovanni - Finished August 5
P Night Film by Marisha Pessl - Finished August 14
I Inside the Flame: the joy of treasuring... by Christina Waters - Finished August 18(ish)
C Judgment of Murder by C.S. Challinor - Finished August 12
S Philosophy 100 Essential Thinkers by Philip Stokes - Finished August 16

Before I finish my list, I have a question: Do we count books that we start in August, or only finish in August (and have started in like July)?

Baby Doll by Hollie Overton The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery, #1) by Amanda Lee The Sun King Conspiracy by Yves Jégo Chills by Mary SanGiovanni Night Film by Marisha Pessl Inside the Flame the joy of treasuring what you already have by Christina Waters Judgment of Murder by C.S. Challinor Philosophy 100 Essential Thinkers by Philip Stokes

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Montgomery  | 2 comments August 2016 Spell Challenge: Books and the Olympics
Completed: 0/8
O-
L-
Y-
M-
P-
I-
C-
S-

I am going to go through my books this weekend so I can start on Sunday!

message 6: by Jessie Marie (new)

Jessie Marie (jessiemreads) Heather wrote: "Before I finish my list, I have a question: Do we count books that we start in August, or only finish in August (and have started in like July)?"

Ah! I knew I forgot something. Anything finished in August will count, regardless of when you started reading it. I'll go ahead and add that to the original post.

message 7: by Teresa (last edited Aug 26, 2016 04:53AM) (new)

Teresa (sweettreads) | 87 comments August 2016 Spell Challenge: Books and the Olympics
Completed: 3 / 5

M- Marisha Pessl, Night Film | Read 8/26/16 | 4 out of 5 stars
E- Heidi Ennis, For My People: Awacha Nay
D- The Dark by Forrest Carr | Read 8/18/16 | 4 out of 5 stars
A- Andrea K. Höst, Stray | Read 8/13/16 | 3 out of 5 stars
L- Lightless by C.A. Higgins

Night Film by Marisha Pessl For My People Awacha Nay by Heidi Ennis The Dark by Forrest Carr Stray (Touchstone, #1) by Andrea K. Höst Lightless by C.A. Higgins

message 8: by Emily (last edited Aug 30, 2016 07:50AM) (new)

Emily (emily83176) August 2016 Spell Challenge: Books and the Olympics
Completed: 6 / 6 ~ Finished!

B - The Body Farm, Patricia Cornwell | read 8/25/16 | 4 stars
R - Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, J.K. Rowling | read 8/2/16 | 4 stars
A - After All These Years, Kathleen Gilles Seidel | read 8/11/16 | 3 stars
Z - Zombology: A Zombie Anthology, Rebecca E. May read 8/17/16 | 3 stars
I - Irregulars, Nicole Kimberling | read 8/8/16 | 3.5 stars
L - Winter Ball, Amy Lane read 8/30/16 | 3 stars

The Body Farm (Kay Scarpetta, #5) by Patricia Cornwell Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8) by J.K. Rowling After All These Years (Hometown Memories #1) by Kathleen Gilles Seidel Zombology A Zombie Anthology by Rebecca E. May Irregulars by Nicole Kimberling Winter Ball by Amy Lane

message 9: by Dana (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:21PM) (new)

Dana | 156 comments Mod
Yeah, I'll give it a go - was out of town so only just saw it, hope its not to late to join in

Completed: 5/5 - finished yay!!

M - Night Film by Marisha Pessl | finished 26/08/16 | 5 stars
E - The True History of the Elephant Man by Michael Howell | finished 12/08/16 | 2 stars
D - The Dark Half by Stephen King | finished 07/08/16 | 3.75 stars
A - The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood | finished 03/08/16 | 3.5 stars
L - The Quick and the Thread by Amanda Lee | finished 21/08/16 | 3 stars

Night Film by Marisha Pessl The True History of the Elephant Man by Michael Howell The Dark Half by Stephen King The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery, #1) by Amanda Lee

message 10: by Jessie Marie (new)

Jessie Marie (jessiemreads) Dana wrote: "Yeah, I'll give it a go - was out of town so only just saw it, hope its not to late to join in

Not too late at all! : )

Thanks everybody for joining the challenge.

message 11: by Heather (last edited Aug 21, 2016 10:36PM) (new)

Heather | 131 comments Done.

O Baby Doll by Hollie Overton - Finished August 4
L The Quick and the Thread by Amanda Lee - Finished August 1
Y The Sun King Conspiracy by Yves Jégo - Finished August 2
M Chills by Mary SanGiovanni - Finished August 5
P Night Film by Marisha Pessl - Finished August 14
I Inside the Flame: the joy of treasuring... by Christina Waters - Finished August 18(ish)
C Judgment of Murder by C.S. Challinor - Finished August 12
S Philosophy 100 Essential Thinkers by Philip Stokes - Finished August 16

Baby Doll by Hollie Overton The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery, #1) by Amanda Lee The Sun King Conspiracy by Yves Jégo Chills by Mary SanGiovanni Night Film by Marisha Pessl Inside the Flame the joy of treasuring what you already have by Christina Waters Judgment of Murder by C.S. Challinor Philosophy 100 Essential Thinkers by Philip Stokes

message 12: by Heather (last edited Aug 31, 2016 10:04AM) (new)

Heather | 131 comments Can I go for another word now that I've finished the first one?
Completed: 7 / 7

V: Victoria: The Queen: An Intimate Biography... by Julia Baird - Finished August 1
I: I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid - Finish August 20
C: The Summer Queen by Elizabeth Chadwick - Finish August 23
T: The Suicide Shop by Jean Teulé - Finish August 27
O: Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh - Finish August 29
R: Life in the Third Reich: Daily Life in Nazi... by Paul Roland - Finished August 25
Y: The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Writings by Charlotte Perkins Gilman - Finished August 31

Victoria The Queen An Intimate Biography of the Woman Who Ruled an Empire by Julia Baird I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid The Summer Queen (Eleanor of Aquitaine, #1) by Elizabeth Chadwick The Suicide Shop by Jean Teulé Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh Life in the Third Reich Daily Life in Nazi Germany, 1933-1945 by Paul Roland The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Writings by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

message 13: by Jessie Marie (new)

Jessie Marie (jessiemreads) Heather wrote: "Done.

Nice job! : ) And yeah, go for another one!

message 14: by Dana (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:24PM) (new)

Dana | 156 comments Mod
Heather wrote: "Can I go for another word now that I've finished the first one?

You're a machine, I am in slight awe

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather | 131 comments Dana wrote: "Heather wrote: "Can I go for another word now that I've finished the first one?

You're a machine, I am in slight awe"

Well, I don't like quiet. So if I can't actually read, I use audiobooks or Text-to-Speech. It's easy to get through a book a day.

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather | 131 comments Finished.
Completed: 7 / 7

V: Victoria: The Queen: An Intimate Biography... by Julia Baird - Finished August 1
I: I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid - Finish August 20
C: The Summer Queen by Elizabeth Chadwick - Finish August 23
T: The Suicide Shop by Jean Teulé - Finish August 27
O: Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh - Finish August 29
R: Life in the Third Reich: Daily Life in Nazi... by Paul Roland - Finished August 25
Y: The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Writings by Charlotte Perkins Gilman - Finished August 31

Victoria The Queen An Intimate Biography of the Woman Who Ruled an Empire by Julia Baird I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid The Summer Queen (Eleanor of Aquitaine, #1) by Elizabeth Chadwick The Suicide Shop by Jean Teulé Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh Life in the Third Reich Daily Life in Nazi Germany, 1933-1945 by Paul Roland The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Writings by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

I kinda wanna take off the S in the first challenge and make it Olympic Victory. (^_^)

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily (emily83176) Done! I forgot to post as a new message when I finished on Tuesday...

Completed: 6 / 6 ~ Finished!

B - The Body Farm, Patricia Cornwell | read 8/25/16 | 4 stars
R - Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, J.K. Rowling | read 8/2/16 | 4 stars
A - After All These Years, Kathleen Gilles Seidel | read 8/11/16 | 3 stars
Z - Zombology: A Zombie Anthology, Rebecca E. May read 8/17/16 | 3 stars
I - Irregulars, Nicole Kimberling | read 8/8/16 | 3.5 stars
L - Winter Ball, Amy Lane read 8/30/16 | 3 stars

The Body Farm (Kay Scarpetta, #5) by Patricia Cornwell Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8) by J.K. Rowling After All These Years (Hometown Memories #1) by Kathleen Gilles Seidel Zombology A Zombie Anthology by Rebecca E. May Irregulars by Nicole Kimberling Winter Ball by Amy Lane

message 18: by Jessie Marie (new)

Jessie Marie (jessiemreads) Heather wrote: "I kinda wanna take off the S in the first challenge and make it Olympic Victory. (^_^)"

Which it totally was! Great job on finishing two!

message 19: by Jessie Marie (new)

Jessie Marie (jessiemreads) Emily wrote: "Done! I forgot to post as a new message when I finished on Tuesday...

Completed: 6 / 6 ~ Finished!"

Nicely done, Emily! :D