Read (or Reread) Harry Potter discussion

Fun & Games > The Harry Potter Spells Book Tag

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 550 comments Mod
Here is a list of spells and what they would mean in terms of books. Share what books you pick for each spell!

Expecto Patronum: a childhood book connected to good memories

Expelliarmus: a book that took you by surprise

Prior Incantato the last book you read

Alohamora: a book that introduced you to a genre you had not considered before

Riddikulus: a funny book you've read

Sonorus: a book you think everybody should know about

Obliviate: a book or spoiler you would like to forget having read

Imperio: a book you had to read for school

Crucio: a book that was painful to read

Avada Kedavra: a book that could kill (interpret as you will)

message 2: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 550 comments Mod
Expecto Patronum: The Secret of the Old Clock My grandma has almost all of the Nancy Drew books and I used to sneak them to my room to read (of course she knew lol).

Expelliarmus: Frayed I'm sure there are a lot of books that have surprised me, but this is the one that I remember best (since I barely read it lol).

Prior Incantato: Wishful Drinking This was not a book I enjoyed nor is it one I would really recommend...

Alohamora: Brave Story This was one of the first fantasy books I've ever read and I don't think I've looked back since!

Riddikulus: Anything You Want This was not a good book, but once you accepted that it was pretty hilarious. It's like a really corny joke-you know it's ridiculous, but you can't help but laugh because of how ridiculous it is!

Sonorus: Tone Deaf This is one of my favorite books so far this year. It is so cute and fluffy and different and everyone should read it!

Obliviate: Shadowlands I accidentally read the last sentence in this book and it was definitely a cliff hanger and a shock and definitely spoiled the book for me. I wish I could have come across it in time, not too early.

Imperio: The Grapes of Wrath I've read a lot of books for school. This was just one of my favorites though. I love Steinbeck!

Crucio: Red Rising There are a lot of books that have been hard to read/finish, but this is the most recent one. I was just not a fan... at all.

Avada Kedavra: A Storm of Swords Some of the bigger deaths/fights happen in this installment. This is my favorite so far and it killed not only all the people, but my emotions as well!

The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) by Carolyn Keene Frayed by Kara Terzis Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe Anything You Want by Geoff Herbach Tone Deaf by Olivia Rivers Shadowlands (Shadowlands, #1) by Kate Brian The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck Red Rising (Red Rising, #1) by Pierce Brown A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Expecto Patronum: Miss Piggly Wiggly. What a silly character.

Expelliarmus: Man. hmm. Jurassic Park. I don't know what I was expecting. I didn't think it was going to be so different from the movie, but sooo good.

Prior Incantato: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory I just finished today, but before that Animal Farm.

Alohamora: Game of Thrones is probably turned me into reading Fantasy novels, otherwise I would be reading classic novels.

Riddikulus: The Martian had its funny sarcasm. OR the Court of Thorns and Roses, I was just cracking up because it was so bad. lol. Eligible is pretty funny.

Sonorus: Me before you. Pride and Prejudice. Flowers for Algernon.

Obliviate: a book or spoiler you would like to forget having read

Imperio: my last book I had to read in college for a Women's gender course was Middlesex. Oh it was bad.

Crucio: Little Women. It was good, but just had to keep pushing to finish it. I would have stopped in the middle of the book and been satisfied.

Avada Kedavra: Me before you. Left me in a wreck.

message 4: by LENA (new)

LENA TRAK | 202 comments Mod
Expecto Patronum: The Little Prince I kept reading this every year as a child and a teenager. Always made me happy!

Expelliarmus: Kindred I had to read this for a university exam. It seemed utterly boring. Turned out to be one of my favourites.

Prior Incantato The Fault in Our Stars

Alohamora: The Fellowship of the Ring God Bless Tolkien for introducing me to this amazing new world called Fantasy!

Riddikulus: Δεσποινίς ετών 29... και κάτι ψιλά

Sonorus:Sorry, can't pick just one... The Diary of a Young GirlThe Lord of the RingsJane EyreCrime and PunishmentThe Little Prince

Obliviate: I wish I had never read any theories or watched the TV series and read the books first (hodor) A Song of Ice and Fire

Imperio: Romeo and Juliet and I hated it...

Crucio: The Castle hated it... The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn A good one but slow moving and often times boring.

Avada Kedavra: The Fault in Our Stars Broke my heart into a million pieces

message 5: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 118 comments Expecto Patronum: Oh, there are many... My mum used to read Little House on the Prairie and Little House in the Big Woods to my sister and I each night before we went to sleep. We would always fight whose bed mum should sit on while reading. Also, Tom's Midnight Garden was one of my most favourite books when I was a kid. I've read it several times.

Expelliarmus: До Чикаго и назад (aka To Chicago and Back) - this is a book by Bulgaran author Aleko Konstantinov, describing his travels to the US. We studied it in 7th grade and I thought it was incredibly boring, I didn't even finish it. But last year we studied another of his books, which in the edition I own is printed along with "To Chicago and Back". I'd marked it "currently reading" on GR and I didn't want to feel guilty about marking a book "finished" when I'd actually only read a part of it, so I had to read "To Chicago and Back" as well. I was expecting to die of boredom, judging by my past experience with it, but I discovered it was actually written in quite a pleasant style and was a really light read.

Prior Incantato: Железният светилник (aka the Iron Candlelight) - we'll be studying it next year. I thought it would be good, because it's relatively contemporary, but I was so wrong... Such a disappointment.

Alohamora: Български хроники, том 1 (aka Bulgarian Chronicles) - It's a book about Bulgarian history, but with a humorous twist. It's not exactly historically acurate, but it's good enough for amateurs. I haven't read it, but my best friend has and she used to send me hilarious quotes from it. She's promised to lend it to me whenever I feel like reading it, it will be my first historical book, even though it's not quite "scientific".

Riddikulus: Anything from the Discworld series, Sir Pratchett is a genius. I mean, seriously, the motto of Unseen University in Ankh Morporkh is "Now you see it, now you don't." :D :D PS. Unseen University is the wizards' university.

Sonorus: The Book Thief An absolutely brilliant book! It's not as famous as I thought it was and not half as famous as it should be.

Obliviate: Hm. There's this couple I ship in the books from Realm of the Elderlings by Robin Hobb and I know they get together eventually. To be honest, that's the reason I started reading in the first place, 'cause I thought they would make an interesting couple, but I ended up falling in love with the books and now I wish I didn't know, so I could get the full emotional experience from their story.

Imperio: We usually read crappy literature in school, but The Little Prince was amazing. One of my all-time favourites.

Crucio: Kafka on the Shore This book is just wtf?! Everything is incredibly symbolic, I could not udnerstand a single thing that was happening. I've put it back on the shelf to attempt to re-read in the unforseable future. Also, Gardens of the Moon is really complicated. I respect Erikson for not chosing the "holding the reader by the hand" approach, but it took me 160 pages to barely begin to comprehend what might possibly be happening. I left it on page 170 and am waiting for a time when I don't have 14 book on my immediate to-read list, so I can give it the necessary amount of time and concentration.

Avada Kedavra: King Rat It didn't grab me at first, so I put it down after a few pages, but when I kept reading a couple of months later, I couldn't understand why I'd left it in the first place. I cried so hard... Also, my edition is hardback, so if you're a bit stronger, I bet you can literally stab someone with the edges. And you can beat someone to death with the Bulgarian edition of A Dance with Dragons - largest book I've ever owned.

message 6: by LENA (new)

Ria wrote: "Expecto Patronum: Oh, there are many... My mum used to read Little House on the Prairie and Little House in the Big Woods to my sister and I each night before we went to sl..."

I always enjoy your posts Ria. Now I wanted to ask you about the Book Thief. I have watched the movie. It was quite okay but I can't say I was impressed. Also if you ask me now I wouldn't watch it again. Is the book good?? Better than the film perhaps?

message 7: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 118 comments LENA wrote: "I always enjoy your posts Ria. Now I wanted to ask you about the Book Thief. I have watched the movie. It was quite okay but I can't say I was impressed. Also if you ask me now I wouldn't watch it again. Is the book good?? Better than the film perhaps?"
N'aaw, thank you! Hm, I don't think this particular book would make a good movie. It's too abstract. One of the things I liked about the book is that you kind of know what's going to happen since the very first chapter, I mean the prologue describes some of the most important moments in the book. From then on it's all about the journey, you know, about how they got there. It's still interesting, but there's no rush, no pressure. I hate recommending books, because I kind of feel like if the person doesn't like the book, they'll blame me or be disappointed. So I won't say "you must read it!". But it's one of my personal favourites and unless you're like me (determined to bear through any book you've started), you can always start and just leave it if you don't enjoy it.

message 8: by LENA (new)

Ria wrote: "LENA wrote: "I always enjoy your posts Ria. Now I wanted to ask you about the Book Thief. I have watched the movie. It was quite okay but I can't say I was impressed. Also if you ask me now I would..."

Thank you Ria! Many people like it so I think I'll add it to my list!

message 9: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 118 comments LENA wrote: "Ria wrote: "LENA wrote: "I always enjoy your posts Ria. Now I wanted to ask you about the Book Thief. I have watched the movie. It was quite okay but I can't say I was impressed. Also if you ask me..."
You're welcome :) I'd love to hear what you thought about it, whenever you decide to read it.