WIZARDING READALONG discussion

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
Sorcerer's Stone

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Yesy (The Book Vagrant) (thebookvagrant) Got something you wanna get off your chest about Sorcerer's Stone? Maybe why Snape is such a butt? How funny it is to imagine Dudley walk around with a pig's tail? How Flamel lived his last days without the sorcerer's stone? Discuss it all here!

Catherine | 1 comments The Dudleys are the most horrible most disgusting ppl ever!!! On another note I think we should all vote Albus Dumbledore for President!!!!! Happy Reading/ReRead to all!!!

Brianna | 11 comments Hate the Dursleys! I love this book so much.

Brianna | 11 comments I just finished rereading this, and wow. SO many rereads later, and it still holds my attention. I debated starting a non-HP book, but...now I'm wanting to go right on to Chamber. And Chamber is my least favorite! lol
While reading this book, I wondered some things. When the Dursleys hide in the hut on the sea and Hagrid rescues Harry, Hagrid says he flew there. After debating on how exactly Hagrid flew and discussing this with a fellow fan, I've settled on Portkey. He could've put the Portkey into one of his many pockets after he used it. Curious what you guys think.
Also, do we ever learn anything about the screaming book Harry tries to take out of the Restricted Section? Is it one of the books Tom Riddle used to learn about Horcruxes? Or am I just being overly HP-crazy? haha

Chloe (chloenm13) | 2 comments I'm reading the Illustrated version, and the experience is incredible! I can spend about 5 minutes looking at each one of the illustration, I think it also adds another perspective to the imagination because previously, maybe unfortunately in a way, I only pictured scenes, characters and backgrounds as they were from the films. BUT now, the castle is different in the illustrated version in the pictures, and I love it - also Hagrid's house/hut is so much more fascinating!
Go out and buy the illustrated, even if you never read it - at least it looks soooo pretty on the shelves!!

Chloe (chloenm13) | 2 comments Brianna wrote: "I just finished rereading this, and wow. SO many rereads later, and it still holds my attention. I debated starting a non-HP book, but...now I'm wanting to go right on to Chamber. And Chamber is my..."

I've never actually thought about how Hagrid got to Harry - in my brain, I was pretty happy having half-giant Hagrid fly in on a small wooden broom! But I think the portkey idea is probably more realistic and right!! But not as entertaining!!

message 7: by Aylin (new)

Aylin | 2 comments I currently reread all seven books in order to be up to date for the release of Cursed Child. I can honestly say that I don't have a favourite between Philosophers Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows. I see them as one GREAT (in size and otherwise) book.

Still it is incredible to enter the Wizarding World again in Philosophers Stone. I read the Illustrated Version for the first time now and I was blown away how imaginative Jim Kay's illustrations are and I can't wait for Chamber of Secrets in October. This year is truly the year of Harry Potter whether one enjoys Cursed Child or not. (I do have very strong opinions on this.)

Now for the book discussion. I love the world building in this and how we get to know characters, especially Ron and the other Weasleys. Molly is just lovely, as she doesn't even know Harry and at once she is protective. Fred and George are set up as jokers in their very first sentences. Ginny is shy and jealous of her brothers for going to Hogwarts, as are we. More on Ginny in the Chamber of Secrets thread. Percy is a typical model pupil, ambitious and conforms to rules easily.

Fast Forward: Hogwarts itself is just incredible. The Sorting Hat. Dumbledore's first speech. Lessons and teachers. Hermione's ease in lessons. Snape's first lesson is just on point. Neville, Dean, Seamus, Harry and Ron...

The Mirror. The tasks set to get to the Stone. I remember reading the riddle that Snape installed and trying to solve it. I was only ten and gave up after 10 minutes. Fred and George trying to send a toilet seat to Harry and Madam Pomfrey refusing them.

I remember reading the book for the first time and the suspense that was build around Snape was deceiving to a 10-year old. Now I'm smirking at every remark that hints upon the solution of the first book.

I think that's enough rambling for today =)

PS: You ask yourselves how Hagrid got to the island. I ask myself how the Dursleys got off the island. Harry and Hagrid took the boat.

Brianna | 11 comments Lol. Good point about the Dursleys. Now I'm wondering how they did get off that island.