What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Memoirs from the 60s & 70s

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Axon | 4 comments Hi,

I'm looking for memoirs from the 60s and 70s. Could anyone point me in the direction of where I can find a list or suggest any great reads?

Thanks

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36067 comments Mod
Emily, I moved your request to the Requests: for books in general folder because you're not looking for one specific title.

What type of people are you interested in reading about - female/male, entertainers, writers, politicians, athletes, scientists, etc.? Does the location/country matter?

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily Axon | 4 comments Ah thanks! I'm just looking for anything really, but I think the 60s and 70s are great eras and would be interested to read memoirs from those times. Anything which could be slightly funny would be great!

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Change Lobsters and Dance

Have Tux, Will Travel: Bob Hope's Own Story

The Neighbors Are Scaring My Wolf My Brother Was an Only Child Shut Up and Eat Your Snowshoes! These 3 are by Jack Douglas who was a fairly famous comedian from that period. While they are vaguely memoir-ish, they are also very funny.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40227 comments Mod
A Good Life is by Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee and talks about his friendship with JFK and Jackie and the Post's role (breaking and covering the story) in the Watergate scandal.

message 7: by Michael (last edited Jul 31, 2016 03:28PM) (new)

Michael Sloane | 3 comments I really enjoyed "Lost in Place" by Mark Salzman. It's a memoir of growing up in the 1970s, and Salzman obsessing with studying martial arts under a shady guru, becoming involved with drugs, a very funny portrait of his relationship with his father, then coming out on the other side. It's very insightful about adolescence and also very funny. Salzman had earlier written "Iron and Silk", an account of teaching English in China which was made into a well-received film (starring Salzman as himself). He's also written books about teaching writing in the California prison system and a book about child prodigies.

A book from the female perspective about growing up in the 1970s was "Miss American Pie", by Margaret Sartor, which were the diary entries the author kept while in high school. Also very insightful about the way teenagers see the world and funny.

message 8: by Janice (new)

Janice  | 12 comments Wonderland Avenue: Tales of Glamour and Excess by Danny Sugerman is one of my all time favorites. It was published in 1989, but it is set in the 60s.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments Cherry by Mary Karr is a good one.

message 10: by Ficie (new)

Ficie | 65 comments The Summer of Naked Swim Parties is a novel, not a memoir, but it's based on the author's experiences of growing up in California in the 70s. Set in 1976.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Open Net: A Professional Amateur in the World of Big-Time Hockey is journalist George Plimpton's memoir of his time goaltending for the Boston Bruins in the late 70s. It's been ages since I read it but I remember it being good and funny.

message 12: by Rosa (new)

message 15: by El (new)

El | 502 comments The Eden Express: A Memoir of Insanity by Mark Vonnegut (yes, Kurt Vonnegut's son)

Are you looking for something specific from that time period? Growing up then, counter- and subculture, drugs, race relations, music? Any or all of the above?

message 16: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (booksdingle) | 20 comments Friends like us - Danny Wallace

message 17: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5224 comments Friends Like These for Booksdingle's suggestion.

message 18: by See Min (new)

See Min Lim | 2 comments I loved 撒哈拉的故事/三毛全集 The story of the Sahara It's written by a Taiwanese author who lived in Western Sahara when it was still a Spanish Colony. However, there is currently no English translation that I know of. Accordingly, it will be out next year. Right now, from what I am aware, there is only a Chinese and Spanish version of it. This is a sample of it in English http://booksfromtaiwan.tw/images/book...

(Decided to still comment this despite the fact that there is no English translation yet since I loved this book so much and a year or so isn't really long!)

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 21: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

This just came out but it covers the 70s.

Hollywood Park

message 22: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 51 comments Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen; the author was put in a psychiatric hospital in the late 1960s.

message 23: by Beverly (last edited Jul 27, 2020 10:45PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 51 comments My Life Without God by William J. Murray; memoir of the son of infamous atheist Madalyn Murray O'Hair.

message 24: by Beverly (new)

message 27: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnbar) | 126 comments Dear Fatty - Dawn French (memoir of a British comedian & actor)