21st Century Literature discussion

Book Chat > 2016 Man Booker prize

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hugh (last edited Sep 29, 2016 03:53AM) (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2802 comments Mod
The 2016 Man Booker longlist was announced today. Since I have created this list for another group, I thought I should share it here:
Edited 29 Sep to add book covers and to reflect the shortlist announcement

Shortlisted:
The Sellout by Paul Beatty Paul Beatty (US) - The Sellout (Oneworld)
Hot Milk by Deborah Levy Deborah Levy (UK) - Hot Milk (Hamish Hamilton)
His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnet Graeme Macrae Burnet (UK) - His Bloody Project (Contraband)
Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh Ottessa Moshfegh (US) - Eileen (Jonathan Cape)
All That Man Is by David Szalay David Szalay (Canada-UK) - All That Man Is (Jonathan Cape)
Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Madeleine Thien Madeleine Thien (Canada) - Do Not Say We Have Nothing (Granta Books)

Not shortlisted:
The Schooldays of Jesus by J.M. Coetzee J.M. Coetzee (South African-Australian) - The Schooldays of Jesus (Harvill Secker)
Serious Sweet by A.L. Kennedy A.L. Kennedy (UK) - Serious Sweet (Jonathan Cape)
The North Water by Ian McGuire Ian McGuire (UK) - The North Water (Scribner UK)
Hystopia by David Means David Means (US) - Hystopia: A Novel (Faber & Faber)
The Many by Wyl Menmuir Wyl Menmuir (UK) - The Many (Salt)
Work Like Any Other by Virginia Reeves Virginia Reeves (US) - Work Like Any Other: A Novel (Scribner UK)
My Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout Elizabeth Strout (US) - My Name Is Lucy Barton (Viking)

message 2: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2824 comments Mod
Look at that--the first one is the Moderator Pick for August!

message 3: by Hugh (new)

Very prescient of you moderators - there are a lot of surprises on the list, including a few writers that are new to me.

message 4: by Trudie (new)

Trudie (trudieb) It looks like such a good list to me and I am keen to get stuck into as many as I can over the next few months.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 452 comments Now my short-term guilt over ditching Eileen after 25 pages is returning, but . . . . nah.

message 6: by Marc (last edited Jul 27, 2016 07:22AM) (new)

Credit goes to Caroline for that pick! I think all but 3 or 4 of these authors are new to me, but I always did like riding in the back seat staring at the past...

Thanks for posting them, Hugh!

message 7: by Marc (new)

Carol wrote: "Now my short-term guilt over ditching Eileen after 25 pages is returning, but . . . . nah."

Must've been a lackluster 25 pages, eh?!!

message 8: by Viv (new)

Viv JM | 62 comments Thanks for compiling the linked list, Hugh. Some future nominations there, I imagine? There's certainly several I'd like to read.

message 9: by Hugh (last edited Jul 27, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Needless to say, as somebody who mostly reads paperback dead tree books, I have not yet read any of these yet, and Coetzee, Kennedy, Levy and Strout were the only names I'd heard of before our moderators nominated Beatty. Having just heard the discussion of the nominations on Front Row on BBC Radio 4, I am looking forward to reading Beatty and Szalay too.

message 10: by Viv (new)

Viv JM | 62 comments Hugh wrote: "Needless to say, as somebody who mostly reads paperback dead tree books, I have not yet read any of these yet, and Coetzee, Kennedy, Levy and Strout were the only names I'd heard of before our mode..."

Oh, my preference is also for dead tree books too Hugh, though I will read ebooks if that's the only option. I am off to check out Front Row now...

message 11: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 17 comments Ooh, an interesting list. Quite a few US nominations this year .... wonder how that worked out, on the politics side of things. Looking forward to reading some of these.

message 12: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 1692 comments Mod
Some of them do not seem to be available here yet. I looked for the Szalay book on Amazon, and it seems to have an October release date.

message 13: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2395 comments Casceil wrote: "Some of them do not seem to be available here yet. I looked for the Szalay book on Amazon, and it seems to have an October release date."

Not unusual for book not to yet be published but on long list. Makes it a pain though if you want to read them all!

Ooh, an interesting list. Quite a few US nominations this year .... wonder how that worked out, on the politics side of things. Looking forward to reading some of these.

Yes, surprising that limited to CA, UK, and US.

reply | flag *

message 14: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2503 comments Thanks for getting the list up so quickly, with links, Hugh!

Now if Goodreads would only allow copying that to another board without having to re-enter every one of the links. I think I may just link back to this thread.

I am impressed by how quickly the librarians, or someone, got the books notated. (I didn't check them all, but the ones I did were.)

message 15: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2503 comments Linda wrote: "Yes, surprising that limited to CA, UK, and US...."

Except, of course, Coetzee, the South African now living in Australia. (Nobel, 2003; Man Booker twice previously: Disgrace, 1999; Life and Times of Michael K, 1983)

Would be very surprised to see him win, but probably good that he is on the long list. Right now, don't think of other recent nominations for major prizes for him, but may just be my memory.

message 16: by Hugh (new)

Lily wrote: "Thanks for getting the list up so quickly, with links, Hugh!

Now if Goodreads would only allow copying that to another board without having to re-enter every one of the links. I think I may just ..."
Lily, if you want to copy a post with links, you have to get into edit mode, so you can copy your own posts as many times as you like (in fact I posted my version of the list in four different groups yesterday and only created the links on one of them). The easiest way round this limitation would be to email the text, or post it on another site.

message 17: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2503 comments Hugh wrote: "Lily, if you want to copy a post with links, you have to get into edit mode, so you can copy your own posts as many times as you like (in fact I posted my version of the list in four different groups yesterday and only created the links on one of them). ..."

I know. That's what I usually do, although seldom to so many groups. This time, I got lazy and linked people back to your post rather than recreate. (Three groups: Classics and the Western Canon, The Book Club, and The Readers Review.) Thanks!

It is true that I was able to copy your post into an email and send it to my f2f book club colleagues without losing the links. But, as you say, I couldn't do the same into another Goodreads post.

message 18: by Hugh (last edited Jul 28, 2016 03:45AM) (new)

Viv wrote: "Thanks for compiling the linked list, Hugh. Some future nominations there, I imagine? There's certainly several I'd like to read."
I've been thinking a bit more about this. I am always fascinated by the Booker prize, and although I do not always agree with the choices and omissions, it has introduced me to a lot of great writers. I am already a member of a couple of groups (ManBookering and The Mookse and the Gripes) whose primary focus is the Booker prize, and these groups have already created discussion threads for all of the longlisted books. What I like most about this group is encapsulated in the introductory paragraph in the group home page, i.e. attempting to identify books that will stand the test of time. For me, some distance from the promotional hype that accompanies publication helps with this aim, and it would be a shame if we limit too many of our discussions to books that have been published in the last few months. I would be all in favour of discussing some of these, but not to the exclusion of everything else - there are still plenty of great books from 10 to 16 years ago that have not been discussed here yet.
[Incidentally the two groups mentioned above were two of the other groups I posted the long list links on - the other one was Newest Literary Fiction]

message 19: by Viv (new)

Viv JM | 62 comments Hugh wrote: "Viv wrote: "Thanks for compiling the linked list, Hugh. Some future nominations there, I imagine? There's certainly several I'd like to read."
I've been thinking a bit more about this. I am always ..."

The lure of the new is always strong, but yes, I agree that it would be a shame to limit discussions to only recently published works. I am sure we have all "missed" some gems along the way!

message 20: by Hugh (new)

Yes Viv, I think we are fundamentally agreeing really. I can't complain since I have a pretty high success rate with my nominations (I think it's now 4 out of 6) but that may be partly because I tend to nominate books that have been around a little longer. I value the range of contributors we have in this group.

message 21: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2395 comments Hugh wrote: "What I like most about this group is encapsulated in the introductory paragraph in the group home page, i.e. attempting to identify books that will stand the test of time. For me, some distance from the promotional hype that accompanies publication helps with this aim, and it would be a shame if we limit too many of our discussions to books that have been published in the last few months. I would be all in favour of discussing some of these, but not to the exclusion of everything else - there are still plenty of great books from 10 to 16 years ago that have not been discussed here yet."

I've come to that same realization, Hugh, and have been trying, for this group, to nominate "older" books (although they really aren't old since we can only go back 16 years!).

message 22: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (cedickie) | 384 comments Mod
The shortlist has been announced!

message 23: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2503 comments Caroline wrote: "The shortlist has been announced!
"

Thanks, Caroline!

The Sellout made this cut!

For now, but maybe Hugh will give us the list with links? Then I'll try to come back and erase this list?

Paul Beatty (US) The Sellout (Oneworld)
Deborah Levy (UK) Hot Milk (Hamish Hamilton)
Graeme Macrae Burnet (UK) His Bloody Project (Contraband)
Ottessa Moshfegh (US) Eileen (Jonathan Cape)
David Szalay (Canada-UK) All That Man Is (Jonathan Cape)
Madeleine Thien (Canada) Do Not Say We Have Nothing (Granta Books)

message 24: by Marc (last edited Sep 14, 2016 11:19AM) (new)

message 25: by Hugh (new)

Thanks all - I'm very pleased to see His Bloody Project on the shortlist but hoping that Hot Milk will be even better.

message 26: by Lily (last edited Sep 14, 2016 10:39AM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2503 comments Marc wrote: "The 2016 shortlist (thanks to Lily!):

And thanks to Caroline! I called out Hugh 'cause I knew when he saw the short list, he could call up an edit of the long list he created @1, copy it, and just delete those dropped, rather than having to look up the links for both book and author! But you were good and repeated the leg work. Thanks, Marc.

(Now maybe I can talk one of you into giving us a string of the covers? [g] Not necessary, most definitely NOT necessary, and I suspect they vary from country to country, But my easy way, once I've looked up the books, is to simply lay those links next to each other and copy "cover" in after "book" in the link. Just kind of fun after the work of making the list in the first place.)

message 27: by Hugh (new)

Lily - I would normally be able to help but I'm away for a few days so can only use the android app which is very limited...

message 28: by Marc (new)

I was interested in looking up a few of the publishers, so I figured I'd just go ahead and link up everything in the process. Covers added above :D

message 29: by Lily (last edited Sep 14, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2503 comments Hugh wrote: "Lily - I would normally be able to help but I'm away for a few days so can only use the android app which is very limited..."

I should apologize for any presumption for anyone else, Hugh! ;-(

But I do know you are so helpful to all of us on such as these....

message 30: by Lily (last edited Sep 14, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2503 comments Marc wrote: "....Covers added above :D"

Thank you, sir. I find that fun to see them together and beside each other. The one for Thein's Do Not Say We Have Nothing makes me want to go back and compare the one for The Goldfinch, or maybe it was some other book for which the graphic seemed similar....

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

message 31: by Neil (last edited Sep 14, 2016 02:45PM) (new)

Neil | 309 comments Was it Grief Is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter ?

message 32: by Lily (last edited Sep 14, 2016 09:48PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2503 comments Neil wrote: "Was it Grief Is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter?"

Thx for the suggestion, Neil. Another good comparison point on graphics. It wasn't that one for me, though. Maybe I'll come across it, maybe I won't, maybe someone else will bring us other examples, either for this case or for other pairs, in these days when cover design is supposedly a considerable factor in market positioning of a book, i.e., ostensibly related to sales.

message 33: by Lily (last edited Oct 25, 2016 05:14PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2503 comments Marc wrote: "Look at that--the first one is the Moderator Pick for August!"

Not only that. It became the winner!

"Delighted to announce our #ManBooker2016 winner is The Sellout by Paul Beatty: http://themanbookerprize.com/news/sel... …"

message 34: by Hugh (last edited Oct 26, 2016 03:09AM) (new)

Thanks Lily. I can see why it won, so congratuations to Paul Beatty. I have to admit that I would have placed it below Thien, Levy and Burnet (in that order)...

message 35: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 224 comments Ugh! I mean, that's great for Beatty.

message 36: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (cedickie) | 384 comments Mod
I'm happy for Beatty, though I haven't read any of the other nominated books so can't say it was the most deserving. The Sellout wasn't my favorite book I've ever read but I really enjoyed and have found it's stuck with me, especially in light of so many of the events that have occurred in recent years (and especially this year). We'll see how I feel if and when I read any of the other short listed picks!