Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Need recommenations for dark PNR

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments Hello fellow readers. I'm looking for something dark with an HEA. Don't mind if its a series or standalone. I've read books by Larissa Ione, Karen Marie Moning, and Nalini Singh. Please help me find my next read. Thanks!

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rjust44) Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward by J.R. Ward It's the start of a very long series, which I will admit I only made it about halfway throughand stopped. But I loved the first books in the series, especially the second book Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments Rebecca wrote: "Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward by J.R. Ward It's the start of a very long series, which I will admit I only made it about halfway throughand stopped. But I loved the first books in the..."

read those already, but thanks.

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie M | 50 comments Have you tried Laurell K Hamilton, Sherrilyn Kenyon and of course, Anne Rice??

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments Debbie wrote: "Have you tried Laurell K Hamilton, Sherrilyn Kenyon and of course, Anne Rice??"

Yeah, I don't think the Anita Blake Series is for me. The same with Anne Rice, although a friend did recommend her erotica novels which I might look into. The Hunter series is on my TBR, but not in the mood to start those yet, lol.

message 6: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 536 comments I second Debbie on Kenyon and don't overlook The League series by her. And I'm convinced she owns stock in tissues because those are some tragic heroes! TRAGIC!
What about Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian. The first book or two may remind you of another series but it becomes it's own.
Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole.

These two stand-alones were great and quite dark. If you haven't read them, maybe they'll intrigue you.

On the Edge of Love (Mama's Brood, #1) by Shay Rucker &/or Ricochet (Vigilantes, #1) by Keri Lake

message 7: by ᑭIᑭEᖇ⒤ᗩᗰ (last edited Jul 28, 2016 03:14PM) (new)

ᑭIᑭEᖇ⒤ᗩᗰ (piperiam) | 46 comments PepperP0t wrote: "I second Debbie on Kenyon and don't overlook The League series by her. And I'm convinced she owns stock in tissues because those are some tragic heroes!
TRAGIC!
"

Those 2 books PepperP0t recommended (On the Edge of Love and Ricochet) are contemporary/historical not PNR although Keri Lake, author of the above Ricochet does an awesome PNR series called Sons of Wrath Soul Avenged

☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾ (pnr_list) | 133 comments The Downside Ghosts series is pretty dark but not everyone's cup of tea (I adore it). The first book is Unholy Ghosts

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments ᑭIᑭEᖇ⒤ᗩᗰ wrote: "Keri Lake, author of the above Ricochet does an awesome PNR series called Sons of Wrath Soul Avenged .."

Oooh, looks interesting. Thanks Piper!

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments PNR wrote: "The Downside Ghosts series is pretty dark but not everyone's cup of tea (I adore it). The first book is Unholy Ghosts"

Already on my TBR :)

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments PepperP0t wrote: "What about Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian."

Still on the fence with this one. Reminds me too much of BDB.

message 12: by Amoreena (new)

Amoreena  | 66 comments Have you read an Ember in the Ashes? It's hard to describe, it doesn't really fit in PNR and it's more of a simmering, barely there YA romance, yet it's not cliched or overly dramatic like some YA. I looked at it ten times before reading it and LOVED it, one of the best books I've read this year.

message 13: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 536 comments ᑭIᑭEᖇ⒤ᗩᗰ wrote: "PepperP0t wrote: "I second Debbie on Kenyon and don't overlook The League series by her. And I'm convinced she owns stock in tissues because those are some tragic heroes!
TRAGIC!
"
Those 2 books ..."

you are correct. I forgot.

message 14: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 536 comments Nicole wrote: "PepperP0t wrote: "What about Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian."

Still on the fence with this one. Reminds me too much of BDB."

get past the first two books. it comes to its own. The first couple were way too similar

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Not paranormal but this is very good
Sparrow by L.J. Shen

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments Thanks, Erin!

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisancandice) | 32 comments Alaska Angelini's Marco Delacroix series, I'm on the last book, it's dark, crazy and good.

ᑭIᑭEᖇ⒤ᗩᗰ (piperiam) | 46 comments Lisa wrote: "Alaska Angelini's Marco Delacroix series, I'm on the last book, it's dark, crazy and good."
Omg this series totally wrecked me, I have yet to read her last one Reign, though I'll be getting to it soon. So dark, so very, very dark...hehe.

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments Lisa wrote: "Alaska Angelini's Marco Delacroix series, I'm on the last book, it's dark, crazy and good."

I had to check and yup, it's on my TBR. Bumping up! Thanks Lisa!

message 20: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments ᑭIᑭEᖇ⒤ᗩᗰ wrote: "Omg this series totally wrecked me, I have yet to read her last one Reign, though I'll be getting to it soon. So dark, so very, very dark...hehe. "

Now I'm getting excited, sounds like just the book I've been looking for. Oooh, can't wait!

message 21: by Deepti (new)

Deepti Patel Patel (deeptipatelkothiya) | 2 comments read christine feehan her dark series is awesome

message 22: by KiBo (new)

KiBo | 30 comments Born Sinner by SL Jennings is an absolute MUST read.

message 23: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments KiBo wrote: "Born Sinner by SL Jennings is an absolute MUST read."

Already on my TBR!

Deepti wrote: "read christine feehan her dark series is awesome"

This one looks good! Thanks, KiBo!

message 24: by Absynthe (last edited Aug 31, 2016 04:00PM) (new)

Absynthe | 11 comments You may enjoy Demon's Mark The Complete Series by Nora Ash I absolutely loved the whole series! Hot and dark!
(You don't have to buy the whole series. It is offered as individual books as well.)

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 25: by PreePree (new)

PreePree This series has been pretty good Afterlife (Afterlife Saga, #1) by Stephanie Hudson ... It has that sexy, powerful, possesive, romantic male figure in it that always keeps you turning the page and day dreaming about him....or maybe thats just me ;)

ᑭIᑭEᖇ⒤ᗩᗰ (piperiam) | 46 comments Absynthe wrote: "You may enjoy Demon's Mark The Complete Series by Nora Ash I absolutely loved the whole series! Hot and dark!
(You don't have to buy the whole series. It is offered as individual
books a..."

Nora Ash is nothing short of amazing in her genre!! I love her :)

message 27: by Absynthe (new)

Absynthe | 11 comments ᑭIᑭEᖇ⒤ᗩᗰ wrote: "Nora Ash is nothing short of amazing in her genre!! I love her :)"

Totally agree with that! :D

★Me Myshelf and I★ | 59 comments Demon marked rocked my world! would also recommend Equal Parts (Supernova, #1) by Emma Winters The Land of the Beautiful Dead by R. Lee Smith (you will not regret reading this) and Evil by Tijan all stand alone PNR that stayed with me long after finishing

★Me Myshelf and I★ | 59 comments The Night Series Collection Books 1 and 2 by R.S. Black forgot this series is worth checking out too, its pretty dark!

message 30: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristinabarrons-kyle) | 7 comments Drain Me Gahhhhh this book! It's dark, consuming, erotic and has me stalking the author's wattpad (I downloaded the app just to follow her lol) for any updates or teasers on book 2. Check her out on wattpad because she has several books on there for free that are definitely in the dark/erotica romance genre.

message 31: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (wolfymask) Have you read any of Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series? Some of them are darker than others... each book is a different couple, and all the couples are pretty different obviously, so you could read the summaries and see if any peak your interest :)

message 32: by A. (new)

A. White | 41 comments I don't know how far back are we talking but Ligeia by Edgar Allan Poe, is a classic paranormal romance.

message 33: by A. (new)

A. White | 41 comments Mindy wrote: "Have you read any of Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series? Some of them are darker than others... each book is a different couple, and all the couples are pretty different obvio..."

I bought the first books of the series because I thought the contents was true to it's title, it said "immortals." But vampires nor werewolves are immortals. A a true immortal can not be killed but both a vampire and werewolf can die. They both can exist a long time but all true immortals predate the earth.

message 34: by A. (new)

A. White | 41 comments Mindy wrote: "Have you read any of Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series? Some of them are darker than others... each book is a different couple, and all the couples are pretty different obvio..."

I bought the first books of the series because I thought the contents was true to it's title, it said "immortals." But vampires nor werewolves are immortals. A a true immortal can not be killed but both a vampire and werewolf can die. They both can exist a long time but all true immortals predate the earth.

message 35: by Amyiw (new)

Amyiw | 21 comments Wow, I don't even know what to say to that. To dis a whole genre of work. I would say that Immortal is what the author defines which can be gods, deities, demons, and yes vampires, etc... too. In many of the books that are PNR and UF, even the gods and goddesses can be killed some way, not easily, but that is the whole point. In so, so many of this genre "immortal" is defined by the authors as living forever as long as not killed. Not the true definition of immortal, well were is the fun in that?

message 36: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (wolfymask) A. wrote: "I bought the first books of the series because I thought the contents was true to it's title, it said "immortals." But vampires nor werewolves are immortals. A a true immortal can not be killed but both a vampire and werewolf can die. They both can exist a long time but all true immortals predate the earth."

I think I agree with Amyiw - the definition of "immortal" depends on the world and how it defines them. But if that turned you off from the series, I suppose I can understand that. I still think it's a really entertaining series though :)

message 37: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments Kristina wrote: "Drain Me Gahhhhh this book! It's dark, consuming, erotic and has me stalking the author's wattpad (I downloaded the app just to follow her lol) for any updates or teasers on book 2...."

I'll check it out. Thanks!

message 38: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments Mindy wrote: "Have you read any of Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series? Some of them are darker than others... each book is a different couple, and all the couples are pretty different obvio..."

Yes I have. I'm obsessed with this series, actually.

message 39: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (wolfymask) Nicole wrote: "I'm obsessed with this series, actually."

Isn't it great? :D I'm thinking about re-reading it sometime soon.

message 40: by Amyiw (new)

Amyiw | 21 comments I love IAD but I don't think of it as very dark though maybe against the morals in places for certain. Lothaire was a bit on the darker side because he is a crazy nut ball vampire. I love the relationship that is shown between him and Nix in his story.

message 41: by Mindy (last edited Oct 04, 2016 04:18PM) (new)

Mindy (wolfymask) Amyiw wrote: "I love IAD but I don't think of it as very dark though maybe against the morals in places for certain. Lothaire was a bit on the darker side because he is a crazy nut ball vampire."

Right! I think overall it's not a super dark series, but I think for sure some of the books are darker than others. In particular, the one I was thinking of was Kiss of a Demon King - Rydstrom and Sabine have all kinds of issues XD

ᑭIᑭEᖇ⒤ᗩᗰ (piperiam) | 46 comments Gaby wrote: "The Night Series Collection Books 1 and 2 by R.S. Black forgot this series is worth checking out too, its pretty dark!"

This looks good Gaby, I added it!

Richelle Harrington | 8 comments Rune Alexander series by Laken Cane. She goes through some rough stuff, the Author is not afraid of going dark.

message 44: by Angela (new)

Angela Verdenius (angelacatlover) I don't know about the HEA, it was a long time ago that I read the series, but Lilith Saintcrow had a great five or six book series Night Shift (Jill Kismet, #1) by Lilith Saintcrow starring Jill Kismet.

★Me Myshelf and I★ | 59 comments Next time your bored of a predictable HEA try "born to be bound" (Alpha's claim series) by Addison Cain
Dark dirty and it'll mess with your head!

message 46: by Romance (new)

Romance Rehab | 14 comments Just read and loved:

Shadow Mine (Guardians of the Underworld Book 1) by Jennifer Kohout

message 47: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments Gaby wrote: "Next time your bored of a predictable HEA try "born to be bound" (Alpha's claim series) by Addison Cain
Dark dirty and it'll mess with your head!"

Already on my TBR but I'll bump it up for sure. Thanks!

message 48: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments Romance wrote: "Just read and loved:

Shadow Mine (Guardians of the Underworld Book 1) by Jennifer Kohout"

hmmm, looks good. Thanks!

message 49: by Amy (new)

Amy Blankenship | 1 comments Amy Blankenship
Dark Romance/ Paranormal Romance
Blood Bound Series - 12 books so far and still on going.
Here is the summary for book four just to give you an idea.

Alicia Wilder is tired of being shielded from the world by her over protective brothers. Trying to prove she can handle the vampire war gets her mauled, bit, kissed, shot at, and oddly enough, living with three very sexy vampires, one of which started the vampire war in the first place. When she finds herself going into shifter heat, Alicia realizes her safety net may be her undoing. Damon moved in with his brothers for one reason… the girl that had staked him and left him for dead was living there and under vampire protection. When they wind up saving Alicia’s life more times than he cared to count, Damon decides someone needs to get her under control before the little she-cat finally finds a way to escape him by getting herself killed. Jealousy becomes a dangerous game when she goes into heat and begins attracting more than just monsters.

message 50: by Cari (new)

Cari K Ray (carikray) | 7 comments I read captive: beautiful monsters, And sire: beautiful monsters by Jex Lane the third one comes out next month. And wow!! It's great! Can't stop thinking ab it,, I can't wait until the next one comes out! Best books I've read in a while.

« previous 1