World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Rebranding a book

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15708 comments Having all those genres, sub-genres and categories on Amazon, it became so easy to rebrand your book from whatever to whatever. New genres are born few a year. Provided you are not misleading the readers, if you struggle with sales in 'thriller', you can drift to 'action/adventures', 'suspense' and whatever. Depending on the intensity and detalization of a romance, the book can travel through quite a few classes.
Since I already have a billionaire as a main (anti)-hero, can I possibly rebrand from 'thriller' and 'hsitorical fiction' into an alpha-male category, since that's how billionaires are primarily perceived? -:)
How they make money, sounds complicated to laymen, but how they spend and indulge in luxury, entertainment and courting, is perceived as much more exciting.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments I absolutely love the idea but fair warning - alphas are romantic leads so if that is not the focus of the story readers will feel unhappy. Annie can weigh in on this, i think.

message 3: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments I too am considering this at the moment. It would appear thriller readers stick very much with named mainstream authors. So I have gone heavier on the spy and intrigue elements on the keywords. Since I altered my keywords I have noticed an improvement in sales.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments I think these things help us grow not so much as writers, but as authors. Always a good thing!

message 5: by Annie (last edited Jul 27, 2016 10:12AM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Nik: Yes, methinks Miss Tara is right on the money here. Personally, I'd stay outta the alpha-male category if you can't slide easily into the romance (I'd even go so far as to specify erotic romance) genre. Just me, though.

With that being said, you could always add a disclaimer in your blurb for anything that's iffy. I'm considering this myself because my cover often gets mistaken for erotica and understandably so *shrugs* Standing out without unintentional false advertising, eh? *more shrugging*

I've played around with keywords just to see if I can get into certain subgenres. And then I changed it back in a jiffy cuz I didn't really wanna be in there LOL.

Big hugs,
Ann

message 6: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments Annie wrote: I'm considering this myself because my cover often gets mistaken for erotica and understandably so *shrugs*

i've made that mistake too with WTF. I placed a sub heading that read: An Untypical Love Story. All I've had is Americans trying to correct me and tell it is atypical. In UK English atypical is generally used in relation to the medical profession and untypical is the norm... #sigh... Can't please everyone... :D

message 7: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments I've had a review where the reviewer is unhappy because he thought he'd be reading a love story!! It's an untypical love story, it says on the cover!! *rant over* :D

message 8: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15708 comments If I rebrand, I'd need to borrow your 'untypical', Tim, and top it with 'atypical' just in case, since my stuff is anti-romance really and I often get reprimanded about that by female readers... -:)

message 9: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments :D Welcome, Nik... :D

message 10: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Tim: *comforting hugs**feeds you cookies**and warm milk* (btw, this is super creepy once I see it typed out)

Nah, for reals, though, you're right. Can't please everyone. And, I mean, do you even wanna? My personal belief is that trying to please the masses will only get you lost in the crowd.

Disclaimer: I am NOT suggesting that other authors should reply to reviews! I choose to and it's guaranteed to bite me in the butt someday. I just don't care. I'm gonna keep thanking readers, eh?

1-star review: "This author's story delivery is so scattered and full of gaps I could not get past 30% and will be requesting a refund."

My reply: "[Reader] I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. Thank you for trying anyway. I really appreciate it! :) Gratefully, Ann"

I'll be honest, she not wrong about my delivery. It IS scattered. I DO overuse sentence fragments. And ellipses *smirks* But this is all intentional. I dig it. And besides...

5-star review: "The writer's style is probably one of the most lovable things about the book. It's quirky and rebellious and I feel it fits perfectly with both character's personalities."

Am I about to change my style? No chance in heaven, baby!!

Mr Tim, I say you do you. I reckon it's what you do best ^_~

@Mr Nik: Hahaha! I get reprimanded for hating on the romance too. But, hey, if it keeps them coming back for more, right?

Hugs,
Ann

message 11: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments Annie: @Mr Tim: *comforting hugs**feeds you cookies**and warm milk*

:D I enjoyed that... :D

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Tim: Hey!! What about the rest?!?!! ^_~

message 13: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments Sorry! I was too busy cleaning my keyboard. Got a little messy here... ;) X

message 14: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Yeeeeah *giggles* those cookie crumbs can be a pain in the butt, eh?

But, hey! I actually said some semi-intelligent stuff for once!! Why you ignore it? Whyyyy?? XP

message 15: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments @Annie: I agree with you. I know everyone says, "Don't respond to reviews, but I think it's great to get a dialogue going. With one reader who first text me - got my number from Facebook - ended up reading all my books, even a title called Raw Nerve I thought I'd unpublished after releasing it as a POD in about 2000 when the POD formatting was awful!! And I mean awful. But somehow she dug it up. Attractive lady too. Almost went on a date with her once, but I bailed at the last minute as I had other stuff going on... But your style of interacting on threads is very attractive and I can only think your writing style is equally as adorable. Which reminds me, I must read your book... :)

message 16: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Don't tease me, Mr Tim... ^_~

You're very sweet to say that! Thank you!!

I'm well-aware that my personality is either love-or-hate for most people. Same goes for my writing, to be quite honest. What some find adorable, others find annoying beyond belief *smirks* I'm just glad you fall into the former category ^_~

More hugs and cookies,
Ann

message 17: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments @Annie Just bought it :D Looking forward to reading it.

message 18: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) OMG, Mr Tim!! *GASP* Are you for real???

Thank you, sir.

message 19: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15708 comments Annie wrote: "But, hey, if it keeps them coming back for more, right?."

Currently I'm dealing with causing them to come at the first place and then - re-visit again -:)

message 20: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15708 comments Tim wrote: "@Annie Just bought it :D Looking forward to reading it."

Congrats on sale - purchase! Hope you'll enjoy
Hmm... Should we charge commission for in-group sale? From Amazon? -:)

message 21: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments :) Haha, Nik

I tell you what, though, mate, if you're a red-blooded male, Annie's Mickey certainly grabs the attention on page one... :D

message 22: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Nik: I'm totally off-topic now... *sigh* ...but do you blog or anything like that? I find that...

Bah! I'm gonna go whip up a new thread LOL

Oh, and I feel like I'm ruining our strapping men haha. Poor Misters Eldon and Tim now have romance tainting their e-readers. At least the cover is a half-naked chick, eh? XD

@Mr Tim: Is this a bad time to tell ya that Mickey is nothing more than little ole me on paper? We even own the same shoes *smirks* Not the same car, though. Although, I'd totally drive one. They're cute as shizz!

message 23: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments And a guy is stirred in places I shouldn't mention on forums by page two... :D

message 24: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15708 comments Not blue - blooded, last time I checked -:)

message 25: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) *sets down plate of cookies**walks away**gently closes door to gentlemen's lounge*

message 26: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15708 comments Annie wrote: "@Mr Nik: I'm totally off-topic now... *sigh* ...but do you blog or anything like that? I find that..."

No, I'd be buried in cyberspace without parole if I did that too. But I started playing with promotions -:)

message 27: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments Annie wrote: @Mr Tim: Is this a bad time to tell ya that Mickey is nothing more than little ole me on paper? We even own the same shoes *smirks* Not the same car, though. Although, I'd totally drive one. They're cute as shizz!

Yes, I think I got that. The flavours tasted right... To say I like her already is understatement of the next century...

message 28: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Nik: Sorry, I got distracted!! Finally made a "how to get readers" thread haha.

@Mr Tim: Goodness gracious! I'm gonna get a big head from all your compliments!! Just kidding!!! I'll keep it humble. Thank you kindly, sir ^_~

message 29: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 66 comments Nik wrote: "If I rebrand, I'd need to borrow your 'untypical', Tim, and top it with 'atypical' just in case, since my stuff is anti-romance really and I often get reprimanded about that by female readers... -:)"

I would be very, very careful about branding something that isn't a romance as a romance. Romance readers tend to have very strict requirements and become very upset if their expectations are not met. My guess is that a lot of "alpha billionaire" fans would not enjoy the Oligarch series at all. If you want to market something to romance fans, the main character should be a woman, the love relationship needs to be primary, promiscuity and dismissive treatment of women are acceptable *only* insofar as the hero reforms completely and should not be described in detail, and marital infidelity is a huge no-no. You could probably come up with exceptions, but romance purists would argue against accepting them into the canon.

message 30: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15708 comments Now that you've described it, I guess I have all the needed characters, but they don't follow the canons-:(
Sounds like I have a perfect anti-romance, too bad the genre isn't as popular as it's opposite-:)

message 31: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 66 comments Haha yes you could try to create a new genre but I don't know how well it would sell :).

message 32: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15708 comments I'm not a mega seller anyway, but I doubt amazon lists this genre to enroll-:)

message 33: by Marie Silk (last edited Jul 28, 2016 11:56AM) (new)

Marie Silk | 1022 comments Great topic, Nik :) It is funny to me that you and I have called our books "historical fiction" and "family saga", but they could not be more different :D

RE: Genres

I REALLY struggled with this. You would think that classifying your book genre would be the easiest part of writing, but it was a real doozy for me. I mean, it is a given that my book is "historical fiction". That's easy. But many platforms do not even have historical fiction listed in their genres! They do not have family saga either, which would be my next closest description. Reviewers have called my book: mystery, suspense, and thriller...which I do not particularly see my book as...when I think mystery, I think Sherlock. When I think suspense, I think John Grisham. When I think thriller, I think Jason Bourne.

Yes there is some mystery in my book. There is also romance, which I consider to be very deep and beautiful. But if I put my book under romance, I would surely be setting myself up for failure. The characters are always fully clothed and the kisses are scarce. I do not think this fits the modern interpretation of the romance genre.

Interestingly, when I look at the "also bought" list for my book, there is a lot of religious-themed material there. So it seems that the models on my book covers (who are wearing clothes up to their neck and down to their ankles) could be appealing to an audience that I had not specifically marketed to. Sometimes I wonder how my books would do if they were in the "Christian" category, but that would be misleading. The only religion mentioned in my book is time period specific.

So what do I do when I am posting my book to a site that does not have historical fiction? I just go with what most of my reviewers say and go with mystery, then I hope for the best! :)

I have read the first pages of "Be First or Be Dead" and I think "thriller" probably sounds good!

message 34: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15708 comments Marie wrote: "It is funny to me that you and I have called our books "historical fiction" and "family saga", but they could not be more different :D..."
Yeah, I know - light years apart from each other-:)
'Be first..' is definitely a thriller - of noir, political type, it's with the 'Rise..', I was/am much more hesitant with appropriate genre -:)
Re your own series, I think you are in the right genre! And if you attract Christian fans as a cover side effect, nothing wrong there.
Somebody told me that I lost like 30-40 mil of potential readers, just by placing avatars with devil-like horns on covers. I must admit he's probably right

message 35: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15708 comments Hearing Kent considering placing his book in 'action/adventure' niche on account of one of the current categories and taking into account that many books have common denominator with at least a few genres, what's your view on re-branding?