Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Bingo Challenge > Aristea's Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Solseit (last edited Jan 30, 2017 08:25AM) (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments I am really excited about this one!

My Bingo Challenge, starting July 27:

1. A buddy read with someone in the group - The Dragon's Path
2. A debut novel - A Crucible of Souls
3. A book under 300 pages - Cold-Forged Flame
4. A book you own and haven’t read yet
5. A book with a blue cover - Truthwitch
6. A book in a series you have already started - Valor
7. A book with an anti-hero - The Lies of Locke Lamora
8. A book recommended by someone on Goodreads Falling Kingdoms
9. A Young Adult book -Shadow and Bone
10. A book by an author you have not read before - A Darker Shade of Magic
11. A book with a one-word title - Malice
12. A book you can read in one day The Thief's Daughter
13. FREE SPACE - Thanks to the great suggestion of Dani, this is going to be: A book in its original language
14. A book featuring an unlikely friendship - Theft of Swords
15. A book over 800 pages Heir of Novron
16. A book published before 1970 A Wizard of Earthsea
17. A book on your to-read list for more than one year The Way of Kings
18. A book with a person on the cover - The Blinding Knife
19. A book from a (sub)genre you don’t usually read Hyperion
20. A book by an author under 25 at the time it was published
21. A book with a dragon in it The Invisible Library
22. A book published this year The Blood Mirror
23. A standalone book The Rithmatist
24. The last book in a series - Ruin and Rising
25. A book of your choice The Providence of Fire

message 2: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Haha, didn't think that would catch on, but I think it's great.
Good luck with the challenge!

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Good luck!

message 4: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3592 comments Mod
Good luck Aristea.

message 5: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Since this week I actually finished two books, I will update this list!
in particular, I have done:
5. A book with a blue cover - Truthwitch
; and
11. A book with a one-word title - Malice.

"Only" 23 to go!

message 6: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments That was quick, Aristea!
How were the books? Would you recommend any or both of them?

message 7: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Dani wrote: "That was quick, Aristea!
How were the books? Would you recommend any or both of them?"

I was surprised myself!
I most certainly recommend Malice, especially if you like ASOFAI and if you liked The Red Knight.
As for Truthwitch, not a bad book, it glued me to finish the story so it was compelling enough. But it is not as sophisticated as The Demon King, in my opinion. As sophisticated as a YA novel can be. Yet, as I mentioned, I could not stop reading Truthwitch, it is action packed and there is an interesting witchery system - although not well explained and it does not stand a comparison with The Black Prism. Yet, I am comparing epic/high fantasy to YA fantasy. Food for thoughts though - plenty are you can see...

message 8: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments I added Malice to my tbr list. It may be 2022 before I get round to it, but it's on there :-). Due to Angela's enthusiasm about Brent Weeks The Black Prism will probably part of my bingo challenge :-). The rest you mentioned I'm unsure about for now, but thanks for your thoughts, it's much appreciated.

message 9: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Dani wrote: "I added Malice to my tbr list. It may be 2022 before I get round to it, but it's on there :-). Due to Angela's enthusiasm about Brent Weeks The Black Prism will probably part of my bingo challenge ..."
The Black Prism is insanely good. You should start with that one especially if you like magic. That book has it all - action, humor, politics, adventure, complicated relationships, etc - in a great package easy to read!

message 10: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Haha, another Brent Weeks fan, I take it?!
I'm going to try to start it somewhere this year - emphasis on the word try. It's really a curse when you like. so. many. genres....

message 11: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

I also loved The Black Prism - great series so far.

message 12: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments I finally mastered the art of bolding and spoiling... shoot, I feel so old when it requires me so long to learn, and I hate the feeling!

changes in bold!

message 13: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Well, if you're feeling old, imagine how I feel given the fact that I haven't mastered neither the spoiling bit nor how to add an image yet.. :-(

message 14: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dani wrote: "Well, if you're feeling old, imagine how I feel given the fact that I haven't mastered neither the spoiling bit nor how to add an image yet.. :-("

I've had trouble adding an image and haven't done it successfully yet.

message 15: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Ah. Good to know I'm not alone in this :-)

message 16: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments I finally remembered I should update this post!
I need to start also focusing on the books specifically listed here!

message 17: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Did you choose your original language book yet (no.13)? I haven't dediced yet beyond that I want to read something in German. Would you happen to have any good suggestions for me?

message 18: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments There is a series by a German author dedicated to dwarves. If I recall correctly this name is Markus Heitz. He also has a series on dark elves. I think that would be interesting (I read in Italian his dwarves series up to book 3 of 4 and I really enjoyed it but I don't know how difficult his German is...)!

message 19: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments I'll be sure to look that author up (later). I like dwarves and elves, so it sounds really interesting already! :-). Thanks!

message 20: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

You are doing really well Aristea. Looks like you will have your first completed line in no time.

message 21: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments I am really surprised about the progress Angela! Although I am anticipating some hiccup here and there - there are at least 3 categories I am at some loss!

message 22: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Me too. YA and I don't seem to like each other.

message 23: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Angela wrote: "Me too. YA and I don't seem to like each other."

I thought I was not going to like any YA. Yet some of those are quite interesting. The Demon King is so far the best one I read but also Shadow and Bone and The Grisha series are quite good!

message 24: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Thanks Aristea. I might give The Demon King a go.

message 25: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Sep 19, 2016 11:00AM) (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Let me know when you're going to do Demon King.

I did the first book in the Grisha series and it was OK but too girly for me.

message 26: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Sep 18, 2016 06:22PM) (new)

Will do Scott. At this point it won't be before December.

message 27: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Scott wrote: "Let me know when you're going to do Demon King.

The did the first book in the Grisha series and it was OK but too girly for me."

Really? I thought it was fairly balance. Oh my, I am loosing my compass!

message 28: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Sounds good Angela I'm booked until then as well.

I had two complaints with Grisha, Aristea. One the girl seemed like she had 13 year old emotions and complaints and not 17 but then again what's my POV? So I settled on the second which was it was just too girly. I didn't think it was badly written, just not for me. Ditto for Air Awakens but that series really borders on pure YA with a sprinkle of fantasy. It could have been a lot better.

message 29: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments I finally updated my list! Hopefully, I will be able to add something new!

message 30: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments I am soooo close to the finish line! I need to start the shame thread as well because I have way too many open series and I would love to be a bit more structured - I am generally a mess and get excited whenever I see new (shiny) stuff!

Any suggestion for #20 A book by an author under 25 at the time it was published?
As for the book of 800+ I think I will go for Words of Radiance.
I am still not sure which Italian book to pick... Any recommendations there? Funnily enough, the way I worded #13 would allow me to read a book originally written in English (epic fail)...

message 31: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7540 comments Mod
Under 25 the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Eragon by Paolini, Raised by Wolves by Barnes, and Darkest Minds by Bracken.

message 32: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4280 comments Amelia Atwater-Rhodes wrote most of her books before she was 25. I can't think of anyone else right now.

message 33: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Wow you have really plenty of suggestions! Thank you!

message 34: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments You are nearly there Aristea, that is so awesome. Well done.

message 35: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Great job. It's tough to take down one of these challenges in under a year.

message 36: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Thanks guys! I hope to be able to finish quickly although the debut author is the most complicated one - let's see how I fare here!

message 37: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments More progress!
Ultimately, I "just" need to find book 13 and book 20.
I guess I will need to get into my library of Italian books - and start reading.
I also need to choose something for 20 among the suggestions you gave me!