Soldeluna discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
A high rising tower in the castle. It is a good place for privacy, but is quite dim even in the day, with only very few small windows.

message 2: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Maeve didn't know what led her to the tower; after her fight with Prince Kael, all she wanted to do was flee the castle. Or jump off a cliff. Either was appealing and yet, here she was, gazing out the window.

I wonder, she thought mildly, glancing down at the seemingly endless drop, if I could survive if I jumped from here. It wasn't a surprising thought; after all, she was known for her reckless streak and need for adrenaline, but she pushed it away all the same. Jumping out of the castle tower would surely lead to dark consequences, not only for her, but for her sisters.

message 3: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
Kaz strode up to the tower, hoping he'd find some peace and quiet up here. Not too many came up to the tower, so he came up here often to spend time alone. He just hoped that girl didn't find him again. All the things she tried to say to him. What did she know? She hadn't seen what happened to him. Hadn't experienced the pain he felt. As he reached the tower and started in the direction of the usual window he stood at, he stopped dead as he saw a person already there, gazing out of it. For a moment he thought it was her, but then he realised it was something different. He watched her, face cold and emotionless, his eyes dark.

message 4: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Maeve heard the footsteps and she groaned internally, her quiet thoughts diminishing. If it was Kael, she was sure she would break through the window and jump, reputation or not. Glancing over her shoulder, she came face to face with a boy, the younger Prince. Kaz, she remembered dully. He was looking at her, eyes emotionless.

I don't have the patience for this.

She assessed the situation. She could smile and bow, apologize for taking his space, and slip past him. Simple and easy. She didn't find the notion appealing; she wasn't the kind of girl who acted pretty and proper. She could provoke another argument, but after the one with Kael, she didn't feel the right kind of energy. And, under drastic measures, she could break the window and jump out.

That seemed the most appealing.

Instead, she straightened herself, turning properly to face him. Crossing her arms, she said, not unkindly but not with the proper amount of politeness when it came to talking to a royal, "am I in your space, your Highness?" It came out a little more sarcastic than she had intended, but she was too tired to apologize.

message 5: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
Kaz was a little surprised at her tone. Clearly this girl was already on edge for some reason. Her posture and the way she held herself and the angry flash in her eyes suggested that. He didn't speak, but just raised an eyebrow slightly, deciding he'd let her decide on whatever action she wanted to take. Him not answering would probably make her more angry, but he didn't care. He kept his gaze fixed on her.

message 6: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
((Sorry for the short posts, I'm in class so my posts have to be kind of quick, plus, didn't really have anything to say XD))

message 7: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Oh no. Maeve recognized him now; he was the mute. Not that he was actually mute, but by the rumors in the town, he only talked when he wanted to. She supposed that was better; she didn't have to waste her breath. But the lack of words irritated her, blowing any chance to be civil with the younger Prince.

Damn it Maeve Maddox, do you have a vendetta against every royal in the Moon Court? Her mother's voice echoed, frustrated, through her head. She shoved it away. No need to get unnecessarily angry.

Maeve leaned against the windowsill, examining him carefully, before speaking again. "Am I expected to keep this conversation going? Because really, I have better things to do than talk to someone who doesn't talk back." To prove her point, she curled and uncurled her hand, her knuckles still bruised and bloody from her punch with Kael. She had smeared the worst of it across the front of her dress, but the blood was starting to dry and cake.

message 8: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments ((That's okay! Maeve's just going to get really persistent and annoying and his lack of speaking ahaha x))

message 9: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
((Lol, haha))

Kaz eyed her knuckles as she flexed his hand. Looked like she'd gotten into some sort of fight, clearly. He took notice of how she leaned against the wall, looking like she probably wasn't going to move. This was interesting. He wasn't used to people who only held politeness or maybe discomfort in their tone when they talked to him, but hers was edged. He tilted his head slightly.
"I can see that." He said in his low, quiet voice.

message 10: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments He speaks! Maeve thought sarcastically, tilting her head to examine him. She noticed him eyeing her hand and she raised it to her face to examine it, showing it to him with a rueful grin. "In case you were wondering," she began, "I was provoked."

She was pleasantly curious by his silence. After all, her father had valued her education; ever since she was little, she had the keen sense to get a snapshot of a person's character. She was known throughout for her intelligence, and prided herself on it. Muteness... What causes muteness? She reflected back on every medical text she had read. It wasn't a speech deficiency, nor another medical problem with his vocal chords. After all, he had spoken to her, quite clearly. Other victims reported social anxiety, but it didn't seem like the younger Prince had that. He didn't look anxious, not the slightest, but merely quizzical. Which meant...

"So, you were traumatized when you were younger?"

message 11: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
Kaz eyed her hand yet again. She was provoked, he had thought as much. A girl like her didn't seem to just randomly go around looking for a fight and punch someone without reason. He watched her back as she seemed to study him, wondering what she was thinking. But then at her question, he raised an eyebrow, looking at her quizzically. His expression said 'What makes you ask that?'

message 12: by jade (last edited Aug 04, 2016 05:52PM) (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Maeve smiled. It wasn't quite a kind smile, but it wasn't a cruel one either. "Well, forgive me for not using your rightful title as the 'mysterious one', but you're the mute. Muteness can happen for two reasons: medical or emotional. You could have had a problem with your vocal chords, but seeing that you talk, that's out. So you're just choosing not to talk. You don't show the signs of social anxiety, so something in your past must've led to the state you're in now."

She eyed him carefully for a second before continuing. "So, was it physical? Emotional? Or maybe sexual? Did someone break your heart? Did someone betray you?" She knew the words she was throwing around were not words to be used lightly, after all, she had plenty of friends that had suffered from abuse. But she was curious and tired, which often led to insensitivity.

message 13: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
Kaz actually widened his eyes slightly at her words. Powerful shock coursed through him inwardly, though it was only the tiniest bit visible on the outside. How much did this girl know about this particular topic? And why did people seem to be guessing so closely to the truth right now? Kaz stiffened though. He didn't ever want to tell anyone, so he wouldn't. No one could be trusted anyway. The only way to live was for him to live independently, relying on no one but himself. That was safest, the best way to ensure he survived. If he didn't trust anyone, no one could let him down. He stayed stubbornly silent.

message 14: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Maeve noticed his shock, and his stubborn silence, and she decided to switch the topic. She wasn't keen on pissing off another Moon Court Royal, and she was too tired to pursue the subject. Instead, she changed her tone, giving him a real smile this time. "I get it; you don't want to talk about it. I had a friend who got her heart broken and she wouldn't talk for years. It took her five years to tell me, and I'm not expecting you to tell a total stranger." She slid down to the wall, sitting down hard against the floor as she flexed her hand. It was starting to throb.

"You can sit, if you want," she offered, waving her uninjured hand at the spot beside her. "Or, I don't know. Do royals sit? On the ground? Or are you too afraid to get your clothes dirty?" Her tone was teasing, not cruel, as she leaned back, pressing her hand against the floor to absorb some of the cold. "I'm Maeve Maddox, by the way," she said conversationally, looking up at him, "but everyone calls me Mads. Or M, in your case, since you don't talk and that's the shortest way you can abbreviate it."

message 15: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
Kaz listened to the first thing she said, about her friend, but all he thought was how naïve she was to decide to trust someone. Whatever. He didn't plan to tell anyone, ever. He strode over to her, but indeed, didn't make a move to sit. He preferred to stand in general usually, but for this situation he preferred to stand so he could just walk away at any time. So he just leaned against the wall and looked down at her from where he stood. He didn't care about her teasing tone.
"I'll call you Maeve." Was all he said to her. He didn't believe in abbreviation of people's official names much anyway, especially if you didn't know them that well.

message 16: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Maeve shrugged, noting that he wasn't sitting. Interesting. "You do you, hun. Anyways, what's your name?" She knew very well what his name was, after all, her mother had trained it in her when she was younger. But she liked giving people the opportunity to introduce themselves; it only said so much more about their character.

message 17: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
Kaz glanced at her, thinking surely she'd know his name? Maybe she was just asking anyway, even if she was aware of it. He switched his gaze back to the window and just looked out of it.
"Kaz." He said simply.

message 18: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments "Mm," was Maeve intelligent response. "Did your parents plan it, naming your brother Kael and you Kaz? Or was it just a coincidence?" She was being annoyingly conversational; she often hated small talk, but found that it came easy around the Prince. Or perhaps, she just wanted to make him talk. Either way, she kept the smile on her face, massaging her hand as she spoke.

message 19: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
In truth Kaz had no idea about the answer to her question. Honestly, he'd always wondered himself why his parents had given him and his brother suck similar sounding names. Marlina and Alianna weren't too different either, they both ended in 'na'. Kaz just shrugged in response. He didn't know.

message 20: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Maeve nodded understandingly. After all, she and Margot, her younger sister, had similar names ("M" being the similarity). However, Raina, the youngest, was graced with an entirely different name. Maeve had pestered her father about it, but he had only smiled secretively in his response.

"You remind me of my little sister, Margot," Maeve continued, still friendly. She was surprised that she didn't mind his presence; unlike his brother, he didn't have the same arrogance. "She doesn't like to talk either, but hers isn't from some traumatic accident. She just doesn't trust people. She's very inquisitive and kind of weird, I think you'd like her." She didn't know why she was peppering him with this unnecessary information; he didn't seem to care one way or another. But if she was stuck with him in the tower, she damn well wasn't going to spend it in total silence.

message 21: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
Kaz listened to what she said, he was never rude, he never ignored people when they talked to him, just barely responded. But he paid much attention to the part she said about her little sister not trusting anyone. Good, she's smart. He silently agreed with her mildly. Maybe he would like her.
"She's wise." Was all he said.

message 22: by jade (last edited Aug 04, 2016 06:50PM) (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Maeve grinned, crossing her arms. "She's a pain in the ass, actually. But I suppose you're right, she is wise. She has this thing where she can get someone's character down really well. Like I said, she's really inquisitive, and after a few conversations, she can usually dig up their history and their personality. It's actually really weird." She leaned back against the wall. "I met your sister today too," she added, just for the sake of keeping the conversation going.

message 23: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
Kaz just grunted in acknowledgement at her words. After hearing that though, he decided he wouldn't be meeting her by his own will. He didn't want to risk that happening. At her last comment, he glanced at her questioningly, wondering if she meant Alianna or Marlina?

message 24: by jade (last edited Aug 04, 2016 07:37PM) (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Maeve misread his hesitation and she laughed, shaking her head. "Don't worry though, that talent is purely Margot's. Raina - she's the youngest - and I don't have the mental capacity, or the patience, to do what she does. Your secrets are safe." She huffed out an impatient breath when she glanced at her hand. She still couldn't feel all her fingers properly. "I met Princess Ali, if you were wondering. She's really sweet; did you know she had a great voice? She doesn't seem to think so, but she does."

message 25: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
Kaz folded his arms as he continued to lean against the wall, looking out the window. Ali was indeed sweet as she had said, she was basically the most opposite of Kaz out of all of his siblings. He said one word in answer to her.
"Yes."
He was aware that Ali had a very nice voice, he'd heard singing a few times when he'd wandered across her path. But he'd never made his presence known to her, if anything only slowing his pace slightly, delaying the time that it took to get out of earshot of her.

message 26: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Maeve smiled up at him before prodding her hand, just to feel the pain radiate up her arm. She was feeling considerably better; at the very least, her urge to punch a wall, or jump off the tower, had disappeared. "So I met Ali," she started, "and now I've met you. You two don't seem so bad. So why is your older brother an asshole?"

She was aware she was treading in dangerous waters; after all, calling a royal an 'asshole' wasn't quite the proper etiquette, and at the very least, she could have her head cut off as punishment. But she was never one to censor her words and she was genuinely curious.

message 27: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
At her last comment Kaz looked at her questioningly, his look asking 'Why is Kael an asshole?' He'd never particularly thought of Kael as an 'asshole' as she put it. He was impressed at how openly she was saying this though, then again, she probably gathered that he wasn't exactly going to go blabbing on to anyone about the words she used to talk about the Crown Prince of the Moon Court. He eyed her injured hand. Did that possibly have something to do with Kael?

message 28: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments When he didn't respond, Maeve sighed, leaning back. "Can you keep a secret?" she asked, glancing up at him. Not waiting for a response (she doubted he would tell on her - what would he gain from that?) she began. "I punched him in the nose," she confessed. "Unfortunately, I didn't break it. I misjudged my aim. To my defense, he was provoking me."

message 29: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
At that Kaz almost, almost, laughed. Even though his expression didn't change, one couldn't tell how close he'd been to laughing by looking at him from the outside. This girl, Maeve, had punched his brother? He raised an eyebrow questioningly at her.
"How?" Was all he asked, meaning how had Kael provoked her?

message 30: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Maeve smirked, reminiscing his face when she had connected her fist with his nose. "I get that you royals don't get out much," she started, her tone teasing, "but it's really easy. All you do is curl your fist, and keep your thumb on the outside, and punch."

"In all seriousness," she said, sobering up quickly, "he was being arrogant. Talking about how everyone loves him and that he would be the best damn king this kingdom would see." She rolled her eyes. "I mean, I said some things too. But he was worse, so I just reacted."

message 31: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
Kaz gave her a sardonic look, one that said 'I happen to know how to punch'. But as for what she said next, he frowned slightly. It wasn't usually like Kael to act all arrogant, sure he had an ego, but he never usually used it in the wrong way. And Kael had always had a pessimistic attitude towards being king, sometimes saying he didn't like being the heir. He just shrugged in response to her, showing he didn't hold anything against her for punching his brother in the nose.

message 32: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Maeve laughed. "You're taking this a lot better than Kael did," she noted, "but I guess anyone would be angry after getting punched. See, but if someone punched my sisters, there would be hell to pay."

message 33: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
Kaz just shrugged again in answer to her. Obviously if the violence had been for a different reason, he might've taken some sort of action, but because it see,ed to just be about a petty dispute, he realised no measures needed to be taken. He didn't exactly like the fact of this girl punching his brother, but maybe Kael needed a bit of a blow of reality. He got lost in his own world sometimes.

message 34: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Maeve leaned back against the wall, closing her eyes briefly. She wasn't quite sure what to say and she savored the moment of silence between them, especially after the fight she had with the elder Prince. That had done much damage to her voice, and she was keen to let it rest a bit.

message 35: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
Kaz liked the silence that fell as Maeve stopped talking. Not that he hated her talking, he was just fond of silence. It gave one time to think. He leaned against the wall, staring out the window as he often did a lot, the presence of Maeve not really fazing him.

message 36: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments When the silence continued to last, a little too long for her liking, Marve prodded him in the knee to get his attention. "So," she started conversationally, turning her head to peer out the window, "what do you think my chances are for survival if I jump off the tower?"

message 37: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
Kaz jerked his leg away as Maeve prodded his knee, glaring at her slightly. This girl's boldness knew no limit. He raised an eyebrow at her question, was she mad? Then he eventually just looked back out the window, glancing down for measure, and spoke.
"None."

message 38: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments ((Sorry for replying so late!!))

Maeve hummed in response, expecting the answer, and the reaction. She knew she was being bold and perhaps, slightly insane. She blamed the hand. Twirling a piece of hair between her fingers (her non-injured fingers, of course), she let out a breath of air. The tower was getting slightly cold, and she wasn't sure whether she wanted to leave or stay. Leaving meant facing her mother and her sisters, and she wasn't quite keen on getting lectured at. Staying meant attempting more conversation, and she wasn't sure what else to talk about.

message 39: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
((It's alright! Life is more important! :) ))

Kaz leaned his head against the wall, content with the silence. Though he kind of hoped Maeve wouldn't act on it and jump out the window on him. He didn't want a suicide on his hands...

message 40: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Giving the window one more thoughtful glance, Maeve attempted conversation one more time. Though the silence was appealing, and comfortable, she was feeling rather restless. "It's no difference from jumping off the cliffs into the ocean," she explained finally, tapping her fingers against the floor, "though I suppose in that scenario, the ocean is there to cushion your fall. Grass is a comforting thought, but it can't provide enough protection." She hummed something under her breath and added, "have you ever been cliff-diving?"

message 41: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
Really? Kaz thought. No, solid ground, even if it was grass, was much different to an ocean of water. Was she crazy? Apparently... She'd lunched his brother, the Crown Prince after all... At her question, he turned his head to her and raised an eyebrow as if to say 'Really?'
"No." He said.

message 42: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments "Hmph. I get that you have a reputation to uphold, but it would do you well to live a little. Honestly, when's the last time you've been out on your own, away from the castle by at least a mile?" Maeve crossed her arms, the challenge dancing in her eyes, accompanied by a small smirk.

message 43: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
Kaz looked at her. Honestly he didn't have that much of a reputation to uphold, or if he did he didn't care that much.
"I have been out of the castle." He replied curtly. He had been too, quite a lot actually. He often went to the woods or the occasionally the mountain, to escape and find some quiet and time to be alone. He probably got out the most, apart from Marlina, who liked to go out into the city often.

message 44: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Maeve nodded, seemingly unconvinced, but didn't question him. Knowing his character, he was probably one to visit the mountains or the ocean, anywhere quiet and secluded, away from the prying eyes of his peers. "I suppose you don't dabble with death the way I do," she mused thoughtfully, "though I suppose that's expected. After all, your presence would be missed if you disappeared."

message 45: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
Kaz jerked inwardly at that last comment of hers, though he didn't move or show it outwardly. Would it? Would his presence be missed? Words from long ago echoed in his head. You are the least important prince... The least important one in the royal family. But Kaz shoved it away.
"No." He replied, not trusting himself to say more then that one word. Even in that one short word, some tightness found its way into his tone.

message 46: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments ((NOO KAZ D:))

Maeve observed the tightness in his voice, her forehead creasing with confusion. She didn't expect the reaction, nor did she understand it. Keeping her tone light, for the sake of him, she said cheerfully, "well I'd sure as Hell notice if you were gone. I don't know if anyone's told you this before, but you're excellent company."

message 47: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
((Lol, aww))

Kaz broke out of his thoughts at her voice, glancing at her and raising an eyebrow quizzically. He may have spoken, but didn't find it necessary, and so, refrained from it. He didn't notice how Maeve noticed some of his inner reaction.

message 48: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Maeve rolled her eyes and smiled again, glancing up at him. "You could return the sentiment, you know. Though I suppose we're more acquaintances than friends. If it's any consolation, you're better company than Kael which, I guess, makes you cooler than him." She laughed, pulling up her knees and resting her chin on top.

message 49: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 664 comments Mod
Kaz glanced at her once again, thinking maybe that had been the tiniest bit rude of him. He looked away and just stared back out of the window.
"Thanks." He said quietly.

message 50: by jade (new)

jade (juliaskim) | 278 comments Maeve waved a hand in the air nonchalantly, still hugging her knees as she did so. "No problem, mysterious Prince," she responded, before lapsing back into silence, the only sound being Kaz's breathing and her humming.

« previous 1