Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > Books for Kids aged 8 and 10

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments I am a nanny for two kids aged 8 (girl) and 10 (boy). We spend a lot of time in the car and so I decided to try them on audiobooks. They were hooked and so now the mom is paying for us to have an audible membership.

The thing is I am finding audible a little bit hard to navigate and really it looks like the best thing to do is to search for individual books or authors.

So I was wondering if you wonderful Play Book Tag people know of any books that you would recommend for my littlies? (Ones that I can stay sane with as well).

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments The How to Train Your Dragon series is read by David Tennant and is FABULOUS! Tom Gates series read by Rupert Grint, Harry Potter read by Stephen Fry, Diary of a Whimpy Kid, Rick Riordan's books...

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Oh, and The Enchanted Wood series as read by Kate Winslet is lovely.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments And how could I forget - the 13-Storey Treehouse by Andy Griffiths. If you like that there are four more.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments AND all of the Roald Dahl books. Ok. I'll stop now!

message 6: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments Wow Susie, thank you. My plan is to create a wish list and then only let them choose off that list. This should already give us a lot to start from!

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I hope they love them! Beware - some contain fart jokes!

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6276 comments Kate DiCamillo's books would also be good. I know I listened to both The Tale of Despereaux and Because of Winn-Dixie

Tim Curry narrated The Bad Beginning (Book #1 in the Lemony Snicket "Series of Unfortunate Events") - don't know if he narrates all of them, though.

Also loved The Phantom Tollbooth ... but I read it, didn't listen, so can't comment on the audio

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9164 comments Oh I am the one to ask, I think. My boys are 11 and 13, but are reading lower level. Let me add a few. Louis Sachar, (Boy in the Girls Bathroom, Holes). Andrew Clements, Dan Gutman, we have read every single one in these series. The One and Only Ivan, Rebecca Stead is immensely popular and she has a new one out. We just picked up how to train your dragon to give it a try. And Peter and the Starcatcher series, I am starting my oldest on. Hope that helps, AJ.

message 10: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3058 comments They may think they are too old for Winnie the Pooh, but if you get the recordings by Peter Dennis they will howl with laughter. And there's all the Narnia books, Harry Potter, and the Hobbit.

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I have a 12 year old son and these were some of our favorites.

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by DiCamillo, Kate.
Nurse Matilda by Brand, Christianna.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll.
The Secret Garden by by Burnett, Frances Hodgson.
The Little Prince by Saint-Exupéry, Antoine de.
Matilda by Roald Dahl.
The Borrowers by Mary Norton.
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Selznick, Brian.

message 12: by annapi (last edited Jul 27, 2016 08:26PM) (new)

annapi | 5129 comments My absolute favorite: The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander.

Many, many others. What have they enjoyed so far?

Off the top of my head:
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Watership Down by Richard Adams
King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian by Marguerite Henry
The Black Stallion by Walter Farley
The Silver Brumby by Elyne Mitchell
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

message 13: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments Thank you all! This will be very useful.

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments The Little House on the Prarie audio books are fantastic.