World, Writing, Wealth discussion

19 views

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1907 comments We may not be the world's greatest writers, but we a goodly number of prolific writers that are gathered in our literary pond. Why don't we pool our talents in producing an anthology?


message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments For short stories I'm currently giving daCUNha a shot https://www.facebook.com/dacunhagloba... They are looking for readers to subscribe so they can pay authors a large share of monthly subscriptions. It's a good idea. There is a market for short stories and the stories I've read on their site are very well written and original. I've entered their competition with a piece titled, 'Coloured By A Different Light" and next month I will submit another to their regular mag/ezine thingy, Made Up Words. :D

The problem with all compiling our own is we each have to enter a contract with each other, with one individual receiving the payment and that will entail long-term trust and I can only foresee problems... However I am up for it if someone wanted to organise it. My short stories are currently collecting dust, so why not...


message 3: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments The concept is intriguing but like Tim says the finances could well foul the whole thing up.....


Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments In addition only one author would be able to benefit from ranking.


message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15760 comments Tara wrote: "In addition only one author would be able to benefit from ranking."

But he or she can then bear the burden of financial management. The access to the Amazon acc. or wherever it will be aired should be open to all the participating authors.
I'm not sure anthology is that much about money and many make their shorts free anyway, but rather about co-promo and accumulation of goodwill


message 6: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments If it could be offered for free I'd be willing to leave the finances out of it all together :)


message 7: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1907 comments Nik wrote: "Tara wrote: "In addition only one author would be able to benefit from ranking."

But he or she can then bear the burden of financial management. The access to the Amazon acc. or wherever it will b..."


Let's not worry about finances. It is an opportunity to be creative and to be able to think out of the box. Purely, art for art's sake. However, someone has to volunteer to be publisher and compiler. Someone who has time. That might be a problem.


message 8: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments That's no problem...I'd be happy to compile it


message 9: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1907 comments Eldon wrote: "That's no problem...I'd be happy to compile it "

That's great! Where do we start?


message 10: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments Well maybe it's just me but I think we need to start by gaining some type of critical mass; I mean right now do we have anyone definitely interested?


message 11: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1907 comments Eldon wrote: "Well maybe it's just me but I think we need to start by gaining some type of critical mass; I mean right now do we have anyone definitely interested?"

We will get there. Some are I think, by the looks of it.


message 12: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments I do think we need to get behind each other to make groups like this a success. Marketing is tough, but it's less tough if we do it together. Producing an anthology of the groups collective works is on paper a great idea. I don't think it should be free, because if it does prove successful, I suggest the proceeds go to producing a group website separate from Goodreads where we can all promote and showcase our work? If that site ever got up and running we can all focus on marketing that one site. That way we are more powerful in numbers...


message 13: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1907 comments Tim wrote: "I do think we need to get behind each other to make groups like this a success. Marketing is tough, but it's less tough if we do it together. Producing an anthology of the groups collective works i..."

I agree. If we don't show enough support for one another. No one else would.


message 14: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15760 comments The beauty of the today's opportunities is that you can change any moment the price. If the book becomes viral, you can change any moment, other than that I'd view it more as a promo tool to promote 'brands' of the participants rather than aiming to enter Forbes with it-:)
But if I'm wrong and it sells like ice cream in Sahara desert, I don't think anyone would mind


message 15: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments Tim wrote: "I do think we need to get behind each other to make groups like this a success. Marketing is tough, but it's less tough if we do it together. Producing an anthology of the groups collective works i..."

I think that's a great idea Tim! Though someone else will have to handle that end; afraid I know nothing about website design....


message 16: by Mehreen (last edited Jul 28, 2016 02:41AM) (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1907 comments Eldon wrote: "Tim wrote: "I do think we need to get behind each other to make groups like this a success. Marketing is tough, but it's less tough if we do it together. Producing an anthology of the groups collec..."

Someone else also must handle the publishing end. I know nothing much about it but I can assist in proofreading and so forth.


message 17: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments Mehreen wrote: "Eldon wrote: "Tim wrote: "I do think we need to get behind each other to make groups like this a success. Marketing is tough, but it's less tough if we do it together. Producing an anthology of the..."

I'm not even sure where we could publish it?? It doesn't seem to me like a good fit for Amazon.


message 18: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1907 comments Nik wrote: "The beauty of the today's opportunities is that you can change any moment the price. If the book becomes viral, you can change any moment, other than that I'd view it more as a promo tool to promot..."

That's right Nik. We need to work on the basis of no expectations. We write our shorts and send them to the person who will be in charge of compiling and publishing in the end. I am tempted to take up on Eldon on hos offer of being a compiler.


message 19: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1907 comments Eldon wrote: "Mehreen wrote: "Eldon wrote: "Tim wrote: "I do think we need to get behind each other to make groups like this a success. Marketing is tough, but it's less tough if we do it together. Producing an ..."

There is Smashword.


message 20: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments Mehreen wrote: "Nik wrote: "The beauty of the today's opportunities is that you can change any moment the price. If the book becomes viral, you can change any moment, other than that I'd view it more as a promo to..."

Seriously don't mind :)

But first I think we need to decide on a minimum number of authors to proceed with this and then reach that number before doing anything else.

And Smashword could work; never been there myself though so can't say for sure.


message 21: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1907 comments Eldon wrote: "Mehreen wrote: "Nik wrote: "The beauty of the today's opportunities is that you can change any moment the price. If the book becomes viral, you can change any moment, other than that I'd view it mo..."

Will you take care of the publishing end as well Eldon? Please say yes. I'll be a contributor for sure, Nik seems interested, I'll ask Dylan and Tara. You seem interested enough and Tim? Hmm. A total of 6. They can write their short and them to me or anyone who is interested in proofing and editing. And then they'll get sent them to you. How about that.


message 22: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments I agree to handling the compiling and publishing on Smashword. As a CPA I suppose I have the qualifications for handling the finances of publishing :)

Mehreen, you'll do proofing and editing right?

I think we should allow more time to possibly gain more contributors.

Thoughts?


message 23: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer | 593 comments Anthologies are a great way to work with others toward a goal. I did a poetry anthology, Silver Lining - Poets Against Violence through my publishing imprint, Baer Books Press. For that particular anthology, I produced it in eBook format, and all proceeds went to Futures Against Violence. Unfortunately, I didn't get to donate as much as I thought due to low sales, but it gave me and my imprint exposure.


message 24: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1907 comments Eldon wrote: "I agree to handling the compiling and publishing on Smashword. As a CPA I suppose I have the qualifications for handling the finances of publishing :)

Mehreen, you'll do proofing and editing right..."


Absolutely. I'll do proofing. But first we need to have a list of the people who are interested. They can all get in touch with either you or me.


message 25: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1907 comments Denise wrote: "Anthologies are a great way to work with others toward a goal. I did a poetry anthology, Silver Lining - Poets Against Violence through my publishing imprint, Baer Books Press. For that particul..."

Why don't you join us?


message 26: by Denise (last edited Jul 28, 2016 06:54AM) (new)

Denise Baer | 593 comments Mehreen wrote: "Denise wrote: "Anthologies are a great way to work with others toward a goal. I did a poetry anthology, Silver Lining - Poets Against Violence through my publishing imprint, Baer Books Press. For t..."

So you want to do an anthology of short stories? I'm not good at writing short stories. I'm interested, but it depends on the time range. Currently I'm mentoring a new author along with writing the second book in my crime mystery series and I have two other books on the back burner.

If I can't participate, I'll help promote it though. :)


message 27: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments Denise wrote: "Mehreen wrote: "Denise wrote: "Anthologies are a great way to work with others toward a goal. I did a poetry anthology, Silver Lining - Poets Against Violence through my publishing imprint, Baer Bo..."

As opposed to Smashword, would you be willing to publish the book on your imprint? I think the idea of proceeds to charity is also something to look at.


message 28: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer | 593 comments Eldon wrote: "Denise wrote: "Mehreen wrote: "As opposed to Smashword, would you be willing to publish the book on your imprint? I think the idea of proceeds to charity is also something to look at. "

I would indeed, especially regarding the proceeds to charity. If there's a theme to the short stories, the writers can decide what charity they would like to donate to.


message 29: by Annie (last edited Jul 28, 2016 10:04AM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Hiya, authors of awesome!

☛ This thread has been moved to "Joint promo events/projects"

First off, I love, love, LOVE the initiative! However, upon noticing radio silence from some normally vocal members (myself included haha!!), I'm gonna...um...vocalize a few things:

Members are NOT obligated to do anything. Ever. This includes:

☛ Participating in group promos and projects
☛ Performing specific tasks, such as publishing, proofing, whatever
☛ Following another author, reviewing for another author, doing anything for another author

Do not feel pressured. It's okay to say "No." Here, lemme show ya:

No, I will not be a part of this Anthology.

Although with Miss Denise's mention of proceeds to charity...

*ponders*

In any case, I'm more than happy to promote for y'all. Unless anyone tries to force me. Don't do that. It won't work.

Get creative. Try new things. Do whatever the heck you want. But please be cognizant of different personality types. Us A-types can be a little overwhelming at times, eh? Oh, yesss, I'm right at the top of that scary list myself ^_~

Annnnd *takes off serious hat* carry on, you awesome peeps! Be crazy! Have fun!!!

@The more gentle souls: Don't be afraid to speak up if you have a difference of opinion. No one will bite your head off *pats Katana at hip* I promise...

Hugs,
Ann

P.S. - I freakin' adore this pointy thing: ☛

EDIT: Ooops! The charity idea was actually Mr Eldon's!! I dig your thinking, good sir!!!

2ND EDIT: Nope! I was Miss Denise. Bah! You're both superstars!!


message 30: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1907 comments Denise wrote: "Eldon wrote: "Denise wrote: "Mehreen wrote: "As opposed to Smashword, would you be willing to publish the book on your imprint? I think the idea of proceeds to charity is also something to look at...."

Denise do you want to proof the stories as well then?


message 31: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer | 593 comments Mehreen wrote: "Denise wrote: "Eldon wrote: "Denise wrote: "Mehreen wrote: "As opposed to Smashword, would you be willing to publish the book on your imprint? I think the idea of proceeds to charity is also someth..."

Sorry I'm late at responding. I was on vacation.

Mehreen, I would NOT want to proof the stories because I'm not a good proofreader. I do great critiques, but proofreading is not my specialty.


back to top