Chaos Reading discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Treasure Hunt Challenge > CLOSED--Treasure Hunt III

Comments Showing 1-50 of 145 (145 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 637 comments Mod
Topics have been posted here. Challenge starts Aug. 1st, but runs a full year thanks to some particularly interesting categories (and giving time for more folks to get involved).

Use this thread to keep us posted on your score!
May chaos ensue...

message 2: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 1321 comments Mod
Do you get multiple chances to click on "recommendations", or does it have to be the first time?

message 3: by Marc (new)

Whitney wrote: "Do you get multiple chances to click on "recommendations", or does it have to be the first time?"

Hmm... I believe your lawyer will probably be able to argue it both ways, but in the spirit of the competition, I think it's one click, first rec.

message 4: by Whitney (new)

I got Todos los fuegos el fuego by Julio Cortázar, I can live with that.

message 5: by Marc (new)

Whitney wrote: "I got Todos los fuegos el fuego by Julio Cortázar, I can live with that."
Sweet!

I got The Tidal Zone by Sarah Moss. I'm willing to give it a shot.

message 6: by Laura (last edited Aug 02, 2016 09:46AM) (new)

Laura Baker | 10 comments I've been a part of this group for some time but have not participated much; I'm going to try Treasure Hunt to push myself out of my comfort zone a bit! Unfortunately, I jussssst finished a book last week by a local author- guess I just missed out!

message 7: by Marc (new)

Laura wrote: "I've been a part of this group for some time but have not participated much; I'm going to try Treasure Hunt to push myself out of my comfort zone a bit! Unfortunately, I jussssst finished a book la..."

Glad you'll be joining us, Laura! Last two years I finished 600+ page books just before each contest and never did meet that particular challenge.

message 8: by CD (new)

CD  | 121 comments Recommendations gave me Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen.

Have it on order now.

message 9: by Marc (new)

CD wrote: "Recommendations gave me Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen."

My goodness, Quindlen is quite prolific (he says after looking her up)! I've heard her name before, but couldn't have named an actual title.

message 10: by CD (new)

CD  | 121 comments Hopefully i don't have to review the Dewey decimal entry in Latin.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelscissorhands) | 4 comments 2pts- book with a reptile in the name or on the cover. Reliquary by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. The creature on the cover is part reptile, so I feel like that counts! This is my first time doing a Treasure Hunt challenge and I'm very excited to take part. Good luck to all!
Total: 2 pts

message 12: by Whitney (last edited Aug 02, 2016 08:50PM) (new)

Monkey-reptile totally counts, with extra coolness points! It looks like it was inspired by Marsh's Jake, which is in a museum here in Washington.

(I have the t-shirt).

message 13: by Marc (new)

Do you see why the treasure hunt rocks?!!! Just look above. 2 pts on the board already and we've got monkey-reptiles in full force.

Thanks for throwing down the gauntlet in such unique style, Rachel!

How could you not buy that t-shirt, Whitney?!! Love it.

message 14: by Marc (new)

CD wrote: "Hopefully i don't have to review the Dewey decimal entry in Latin."

Careful what you wish for--I believe there's a line in the rules our very own Mistress of Chaos inserted allowing moderators to change the rules at any time...
(⚆_⚆)

message 15: by Stacia (last edited Aug 02, 2016 09:56PM) (new)

Stacia Oh, sounds fun! I've not really participated in this group but have lurked awhile... so hello to all the Chaos readers!

The book I'm currently reading will get me into the page count between 5x and 7x my age: Underground Airlines.

message 16: by Marc (new)

Hello back, Stacia! Sounds like you're well on your way to putting some points on the board :D

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura Baker | 10 comments I raided my bookshelf to see what I've already got and have been putting off reading that may fit the bill. It looks like I'll be starting with Rant by Chuck Palahniukas a book with only one vowel in the title and Rage by Zygmunt Miłoszewski as a book from a country who's literature I haven't read before (Poland).

Rant and Rage? Unaddressed anger issues? :D

message 18: by Dree (new)

Dree (dreebee) Question!... Can pseudonyms be genderless like "JK" or "Anonymous" ?? ☺

message 19: by Whitney (new)

I think using a genderless name is different from using an opposite gendered name.

message 20: by Dree (new)

Dree (dreebee) Whitney wrote: "I think using a genderless name is different from using an opposite gendered name."

Yes I figured as much. There doesn't seem to be many of the latter though! :)

message 21: by Whitney (new)

It has traditionally gone the other way, for sure (for obvious reasons). I know there are a few men who write romances under female pen names. The only other example I can think of is Poppy Z. Brite. But since Brite's gender identity changed later in life, I suppose you could argue his earlier books don't count?

message 22: by Dree (last edited Aug 05, 2016 12:22AM) (new)

Dree (dreebee) Whitney wrote: "It has traditionally gone the other way, for sure (for obvious reasons). I know there are a few men who write romances under female pen names. The only other example I can think of is [author:Poppy..."

Oh thanks for that I had no idea Brite was a man! I have Lost Souls on my TBR. Yes, I just researched him and see what you mean! Can anyone clarify if this is allowed for the challenge purpose? Thanks ... sorry I'm new at this! ☺

message 23: by Stacia (new)

Stacia Finished Underground Airlines.

Category: Book whose page count is between 5x and 7x your age.
+ 3pts

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelscissorhands) | 4 comments Whitney wrote: "Monkey-reptile totally counts, with extra coolness points! It looks like it was inspired by Marsh's Jake, which is in a museum here in Washington.

(I have the t-shirt)."

Haha that's awesome!!

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelscissorhands) | 4 comments 3 pts- book whose page count is between 5x and 7x your age- A Night to Remember by Walter Lord. The edition I read had 164 pages. Range is between 145-203 pages.
Total: 5 pts

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-somanybooks) Finished Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch which had 288 pgs.

Category: Book whose page count is between 5x and 7x your age.
+ 3pts - (page count between 240 - 336)

message 27: by Whitney (new)

My first book sadly fails to qualify as anything other than one that was originally in a different language. Beauty and Sadness. 1 point.

message 28: by Marc (new)

My first book read since the challenge started and it missed the age category by 5 days/7 pages. [$%#@!]

message 29: by Whitney (new)

I was tempted to use the ebook page count which would have put me in the zone, but that seemed wrong.

message 30: by Marc (new)

Your integrity is honorable. I've contacted several doctors to set me up with some sort of doping program to help me win this contest but no one seems to have "reader's EPO" or any sort of steroid for readers... Maybe caffeine is the way to go. Luckily, my current read will fit into the age category quite easily.

message 31: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmbean) This is my first time posting in the group. This challenge sounds so much fun, I'm going to give it a go, thanks for organising it!

message 32: by Whitney (new)

Marc wrote: "Your integrity is honorable. I've contacted several doctors to set me up with some sort of doping program to help me win this contest but no one seems to have "reader's EPO" or any sort of steroid ..."

There's always this: Evelyn Wood Reading Dynamics by Evelyn Wood Evelyn Wood Reading Dynamics

message 33: by Marc (new)

Welcome, Emma!

Not so many reviews for that Reading Dynamics book, Whitney--if you read it first, I'll read it next :p

Finally, I've got some points on the board:
- 3 pts Book between 5x and 7x my age thanks to The Eternal Husband

Current score: 3 pts

message 34: by Dree (last edited Aug 13, 2016 05:53PM) (new)

Dree (dreebee) First book - I hope this fits the catergory of reptiles on the front cover!
Dealing with Dragons

If so - 2 points :)

message 35: by Whitney (new)

I was wondering if anyone was going to go for a dragon in the "reptile" category. My inclination would be that they qualify...

(Dinosaurs not so much, though. I checked).

message 36: by Marc (new)

I second dragons counting as reptiles. Did NOT know that about dinosaurs.

message 37: by Torben (new)

Torben Opperud | 11 comments In the Treasure Hunt III rules it says "+1 extra point for every qualifying book that was originally in a language different from the reader's native tongue, (defined as the language people most often use to speak to their parents).". If i'm norwegian and read mostly english books, would I get 1 point for each english book I read?
It just seems like a little too easy.

message 38: by Whitney (new)

If you mostly speak Norwegian when you talk to your parents, then yep, totally counts.

message 39: by Marc (new)

Or, you know, it'll be really embarrassing if you don't win! :p

message 40: by Torben (new)

Torben Opperud | 11 comments Since I only speak norwegian to my parents i'll be at 21pts at the end of the day!

I'm thinking of books written before the 1700s that I want to read, so if anyone has something to recommend let me know! Although I do have a lot of curriculum on the side (yes. Chaos Reading Challenge comes first!) so i'm also looking for something simpler than Homer or Cervantes :P
(I would recommend Satyricon by Petronius first! A great read.)

message 41: by Whitney (new)

I was going to finally try and get to The Golden Ass. Or maybe wuss out and go with a Shakespeare play.

message 42: by Torben (new)

Torben Opperud | 11 comments I bought The Golden Ass right after reading Satyricon (because I wanted to read more like it) but i'm just not feeling it still.

After looking through my TBR bookshelves I realise that most of my older books was written in the 1700s, so i'm now on a hunt.

message 43: by Stacia (new)

Stacia Read Rashomon and Other Stories, which was written originally in a different language (Japanese) than my native language.
+1

Read Season of Migration to the North, which is a book from a country whose literature I've never read (Sudan) & which was written originally in a different language (Arabic) than my native language.
+3; +1

Total to date: 8

For those looking for books written prior to 1700, maybe Lieutenant Nun: Memoir of a Basque Transvestite in the New World would be of interest. Not the most well-written book but a fascinating account of her life.

message 44: by Marc (new)

Well, wouldn't ya know it?!! Goodreads has a Popular Pre 1700 Books list

I'll probably go with Hypnerotomachia Poliphili: The Strife of Love in a Dream because I've already got a copy languishing on the shelves unread for many years now.

I really liked Rashomon and Other Stories (Kurosawa did an impressive film version of Rashomon if you haven't already seen it, Stacia).

message 45: by Erica (new)

Erica | 25 comments Just finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...), for category page count between 5x and 7x my age.
+3 pts.

Currently reading Carpe Diem, by Harry Mount, for Dewey Decimal #478!

message 46: by Dree (new)

Dree (dreebee) Just finished a book with a title containing only one vowel Room by Emma Donoghue
+ 2pts

Current score - 4 points

message 47: by Marc (new)

Dree, double "ohs" count as two vowels in the title :(
I'll update the rules to say "repeated vowels count as more than one."

message 48: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 782 comments I missed the announcement of this, but it's actually well-timed. as I've got more reading in in the last three weeks than I probably have all year... I was planning to spend this afternoon getting my "read" shelf in order.

(Holy! It's suddenly turned into Noah's Ark time outside, and I left my ark sitting on the dock, where it'll wash away. Guess I have to go out in it!)

How can dinosaurs not be reptiles?? (Yeah, actually, I know - but it's just not RIGHT!) Here's some interesting hair-splitting: https://askabiologist.asu.edu/questio...

message 49: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 782 comments Let the whingeing begin:
- the short list of the Asian Literary Prize: this year, or any year?
- a country whose literature you've never read: gonna be hard to find one of those... (but this isn't supposed to be easy!)
- a genre you've never read: ditto
- title containing only one vowel: How do we feel about umlauts (äöü)? I have no idea if there is such a beast...
- book by a local writer: Doh! I wish I'd paid attention when Marc announced this contest. I know local writers here in NS, but it's back to the UK on Saturday, and I haven't a clue who's "local" there.
- more than 1,000 pages: Damn—that's too long even to justify finally finishing Seveneves
- 5x and 7x your age: Foul! Ageism!

And I'm scared to click on the recommendation link.

message 50: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 782 comments Oh wow. I haven't looked at those recommendations for years. It's improved: Star Man's Son, 2250 A.D

I would have read that more than 40 years ago, and not since. I've reread a lot of Norton over the last few years, but not that one, so I'm game (plus it'll be a fast read to get me started on this challenge).

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.